RM European Auto Parts

Thread: P0220 code. Please help.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

P0220 code. Please help.

Hello to all

I am getting a P0220 code. After several days of no use,i needed to use my car for a job interview today and it would hardly run. With the gas pedal depressed it would hardly move forward. I managed toget it back into the garage and called my wife to pick me up

Car is a 2000 E46 328ci

When i got back home, i did a diagnostic and here are the results

I erased the codes but they reappear instantly and car starts up but stutters when slightly pressing the accelerator pedal (just as it did earlier today)

I reset adaptations and i thought it was fixed. It worked fine a few minutes while on. I turned it off and about 30 minutes later, i restarted the car and the same issues.

Is this a defective throttle body? Might the throttle plate be stuck and thus causing this issue and maybe require cleaning? Should i remove it and inspect it?

Does the error code refer to the throttle body itself or is there another sensor in the gas pedal? Looking at the pedal diagram i do not see anything electrical/sensor related

Are the driver wish sensor PWG 1 and PWG 2 Potentiometers inside the accelerator pedal or in the throttle body? This is the cable/electronic throttle system found on the 99-00 E46. Can anyone shed some light into this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this how a normal throttle body should look on the inside?

Are those cracks on the last two images?

Images from the inside

I also removed the idle speed control valve and upon shaking it, there is no noise which means it must be filthy. Can a very clogged idle speed control valve also trigger the P0220 code? I cleaned it up and now you can hear it when you shake it.

I need to get this car fixed before i get called for another job interview.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    As long as there are internal errors (self check) in the dme, you can't trust the other error codes.

I assume you've been playing with the flash. Obviously there are mistakes; start there.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    As long as there are internal errors (self check) in the dme, you can't trust the other error codes.

I assume you've been playing with the flash. Obviously there are mistakes; start there.

Hi Abel

I had not done any flashing for a while. My car was working great with the donor ecu on AD version firmware. Those codes showed up together at the same time when this issue occurred. I asked myself why would there be internal errors if i have not been doing any type of modifications to the flash. Faulty Donor dme maybe?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    If there were no modifications to the dme flash, then yes, I suspect dme has failed in one way or another. Hopefully it wasn't a short on the car causing it, or else your next DME will do the same.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

P0220 code. Please help.

Here’s my latest update

Cleaned MDK/ICV and reinstalled for testing. Erased stored codes from previous startup and.......

Engine starts up flawlessly and does its cold start idle cycle and i noticed its very, very smooth now. I left it running for approximately 20 minutes and it purrs like a kitten

I shut the engine off for a minute or two and restarted the engine and left it running and applied slight variable pressure to the accelerator pedal and response is perfect along with a static idle. No codes, stumbling or issues yet

Engine has been turned off and will wait a while to restart and see what happens.

The only thing i did differently in the reinstallation process was to remove the MDK seal and install it the other way around.

While researching, i saw this:

Upon the start of this problem, there were several codes on the DME, but i have a question related to BMW code 175

With the above information i found while researching, can there be some kind of correlation between a very clogged ICV and the possibility of this causing trouble code 175? Just thinking out loud and looking to close this case!!

Last edited by se93; 10-17-2018 at 02:29 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hi Mark,

I'll let Abel confirm or deny this, but I think the reason he suspected a computer flash is that an M52 engine, and a 2000 328ci, does not have a pedal position sensor. They have a cable throttle which works the motor-driven throttle at the throttle body unit. The slightly later M54 engined cars have drive-by-wire throttle pedal assemblies with their own set of potentiometers.

The earlier crossbreed M52 units were very trouble prone, and the accepted procedure when I worked at the dealership, which was dictated by factory SIB's, was to (1) clean the throttle blade path (5% success rate), then replace the throttle body/motor assembly, then replace the engine wiring harness, then replace the DME.

If the DME reads erred data from the two cross-checking potentiometers, it goes to limp mode to prevent a crash.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Hi Mark,

I'll let Abel confirm or deny this, but I think the reason he suspected a computer flash is that an M52 engine, and a 2000 328ci, does not have a pedal position sensor. They have a cable throttle which works the motor-driven throttle at the throttle body unit. The slightly later M54 engined cars have drive-by-wire throttle pedal assemblies with their own set of potentiometers.

The earlier crossbreed M52 units were very trouble prone, and the accepted procedure when I worked at the dealership, which was dictated by factory SIB's, was to (1) clean the throttle blade path (5% success rate), then replace the throttle body/motor assembly, then replace the engine wiring harness, then replace the DME.

If the DME reads erred data from the two cross-checking potentiometers, it goes to limp mode to prevent a crash.
    Hi Chris

Up to now, all random starts used for testing purposes have rendered normal operation with no issues or trouble codes, contrary to yesterday. Idle is noticeably smoother now. The ICV was very dirty/clogged and the functional difference is night and day.

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW

P0220 code. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by se93 View Post
    Hi Chris

I have my fingers crossed towards the end of this issue

Last edited by se93; 10-17-2018 at 09:33 PM.