2003 BMW 540i M-Sport (automatic)
    104,000 mi
    $10,500

Located in Los Angeles, CA.

Contact me via forum message or: lightoff6 at yahoo dot com

Big photo album here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yj477k3k5...pvmDW-doa?dl=0

E3.jpgE8a.jpgE12a.jpgI5.jpgI12.jpg

Those of you who know E39s know that the ’03 540i is the only car to carry the true “M-Sport” package, which added M5 bumpers and Style 37 “M-Parallel” wheels to the Sport package, itself composed of lowering springs and the high-stall torque converter option for the ZF 5HP24 transmission.

The reason I’m selling is that I have this disease where I have to start over every two years with a new car project, and it’s about that time again. I am the 3rd owner of the car. I purchased it from an exotic car dealership in Orange County.

Highlights

- Interior is in GREAT shape. Sport Seats in very good condition (A few scuffs, but I would still call it better than average wear-and-tear). More details below.

- Exterior is in pretty good shape. Few small scuffs here and there. Clear coat overall looks excellent.

- AVIN Avant3 Android 6 head unit w/ backup camera. Audio is factory DSP. The Android unit was a great upgrade, but it was a 100% plug & install so you can revert to stock if you want to (I have the original Business CD deck if you want it).

- Exhaust: a Dinan Free-Flow Muffler, center resonator replaced with a Vibrant resonator. “Tastefully loud.” Not loud enough to wake the neighbors, but it sounds fantastic when you get on it, subtle pops when you come off the gas. I tried a few combinations for exhaust, and this one was the best compromise of volume and character.

Maintenance

The car was very clean when I got it, and I’ve just kept that up, so I think it still speaks to a good pedigree. I don’t have any service records prior to my ownership, however my records are available upon request. I’ve had only minor issues during my ownership. Most service was performed by John Norris at GT International, who was highly respected locally and by the BMW CCA (John has recently retired) or by myself.

- New fan & OEM fan clutch
    - Full set of new Bosch spark plugs
    - Full set of new Bosch ignition coils
    - New power steering pump, and two new hoses
    - New chain tensioner (new design). Timing chain guide issues have been thoroughly investigated and dismissed. The car has an occasional rattle at start-up that lasts 1 sec. This was finally determined to be associated with old seals in the VANOS units, a problem that plagues basically 100% of M62tu engines but it’s a nuisance only. There is a little noise from the VANOS at idle but my trusted independent mech. said it was typical.
    - New radiator thermostat and full coolant flush
    - Radiator, hoses, and expansion tank are in excellent condition and may have been replaced by the P.O.
    - Replaced all four window regulators with new components
    - New gasket around driver's door opening
    - New lower window seals in both front doors
    - New brake hoses on the front
    - New sway bar links on the front
    - Recent transmission fluid service and filter. “Lifetime fluid” yadda yadda…I researched this one for a long time and decided that the case to perform this service was stronger than to let it go.
    - New xenon ballasts and D2S bulbs in both headlights
    - New trunk lid opener struts

Interior

VERY CLEAN. ALL power seat adjustments are working. Leather items are in very good shape. Rear seat looks like new, except for one 2-inch scuff. Front seats are in very good shape with a few tiny scuffs. Door cards are all like-new except for driver’s door which has a few tiny scratches near the handle.

I replaced all interior lights with a white LED set from ECS. Headliner is in great shape, not sagging. I replaced all A/B/C-pillar trim pieces because they were sagging. Replaced all floor mats. Rear deck was faded so I re-sprayed it with SEM fabric paint. I replaced the old wood grain trim with a set of vinyl-wrapped pieces in 3M Brushed Titanium for a modern appearance.

AVIN Avant3: This was an awesome upgrade that brings the dash into 2018…it’s a standalone Android device. It has its own data connection, so you can get a cheap prepaid SIM and never worry about burning through your data in the car, or use tethering to share data with your smartphone. All the basic car stuff will still work without a data line, i.e. FM radio, Bluetooth streaming, etc. Audio system is factory DSP, all speakers & factory sub. working fine. Another benefit of the Android unit is that you get to use the excellent "I-BUS BMW" app, which allows full control of all DSP effects and EQ, some coding options for lights, locks, windows, & mirrors, and the ability to continuously monitor certain OBD parameters. If you look at my photos, you'll see the coolant temp displayed on the MID in the cluster; this is a function of that app...it's brilliant. Also note the backup camera: the camera itself is a unit from eBay that replaces the trunk release handle, so there was no drilling or anything funny like that.

This car has the optional ski bag in the rear seat pass-through. It looks like it has never been used.

Exterior/Body

Pretty good shape. I count 3 small door dents with no paint damage, small scratches and tiny scuffs elsewhere. Front valence has some minor damage from an apparent road debris encounter. Exterior was just given a full detail…the paint polishes up very well and the clear coat has a ton of shine. The clear coat along the top of the rear bumper (by the trunk opening) is fading, but you will only notice this up close.

I added an OEM M5 lip spoiler, black kidney grills in the front.

Factory Style 37 "M-parallel" wheels are in decent shape. They all have the original finish in good condition, however both the fronts have some curb rash. Tires are Goodyear Pilot Sport A/S 3.
    Last edited by M62flyer; 10-27-2018 at 09:08 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i MSport
    Bump. I’ll have some videos up this weekend.

My Cars
    2003 540i MSport
    Videos coming soon...still. Busy week for me...sorry if you were waiting for these. I will have four videos: in-car driving, outside drive-by's, open-hood start-up, and exhaust start-up videos, all shot by a GoPro w/ Rode stereo mic.
    Last edited by M62flyer; 11-04-2018 at 07:45 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i MSport
    Video is up now: https://youtu.be/V4P39tPQS14

My Cars
    2003 540i MSport
    Bump. I’m open to reasonable offers!

My Cars
    76 2002 "tii"
    "Timing chain guide issues have been thoroughly investigated and dismissed." What does this mean?
    Kyle Burkhardt
    NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
    76 2002 "tii"
    14 Mustang GT Track Pack

My Cars
    2003 540i MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by cosM3os View Post
    "Timing chain guide issues have been thoroughly investigated and dismissed." What does this mean?
    It means I have as much confidence as one could have without actually performing all the teardown required to replace the timing chain guides that said guides are not a concern on this motor.

My Cars
    76 2002 "tii"
    What was involved in the "investigation"?
    Kyle Burkhardt
    NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
    76 2002 "tii"
    14 Mustang GT Track Pack

My Cars
    2003 540i MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by cosM3os View Post
    What was involved in the "investigation"?
    A serious buyer is welcome to make any ""investigation"" they desire!

Kyle, what I should have said is, "I knew my indy mech. and trusted him explicitly." I'm not trying to give you difficult or vague answers. My indy would remember my car, so I wish I could just have you talk to him, but unfortunately he retired and closed his shop earlier this year. This is what I can tell you from my direct knowledge: John spent a while going around the motor with his stethoscope and from that he was sure the specific noise I was complaining about was typical for old VANOS, nothing unusual was happening near the front of the block. There was a point where I indicated that I was willing to have the guides replaced, but I remember John telling me that I was being an alarmist and would be wasting my money. I asked to replace the chain tensioner "just because" and he did that for me.

This shop always had X5s, E38 740s, and E39 540s & M5s around, and the guy told me that they've only done M/S62 TCGs five times ever...FWIW. If the TCGs go, yes, you would be looking at big/scary damage if the motor runs for any length of time so it is worth the lip service. Some cars' TCGs fail at 70k, some run to 250k mi. I guess the analogy would be a heart attack: My dad was a hardcore cyclist and healthy eater his whole adult life, but he still ended up with one full coronary blockage and three stents...
    Last edited by M62flyer; 11-15-2018 at 02:52 AM.

My Cars
    2003 540i MSport
    Get yourself a clean 540 for Christmas...