Thread: [E34] M50B20 Fuse question

My Cars
    E30 M40B18, E34 M50B20

Question [E34] M50B20 Fuse question

Hello, sorry for bad english Does this type connection is ok? Brown badge middle up and bottom cable it's a fuse?

And other question; what he responds to red cabble in ECU box? In my E34 to this cable is connected other cable straight from battery (+) without fuse, is this correct? What kind of fuse, I can put on this cable (near battery) if it is necessary?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    That connection is called a fusible link. It's hard to see in your photo, if it's in good condition.

That's the main ECU box power distribution wire. It should have a fuse - probably the exact one in your first photo.

My Cars
    E30 M40B18, E34 M50B20
    Thanks for reply I mean this connection, it's fuse too?

Can someone, who has battery under the hood, check where going this cable, and put some photo? (I have swapped engine, connection its not original)

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    No, I don't think that's a fuse. My battery is under the back seat, so I can't help you with the other question.

My Cars
    E34 525 1990 5HP18
    Well, I can certainly help you with this one. I literally had to fix this a few days ago. I have the exact same setup in my car. See my thread here :

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-windows-wiper

The whole black box with the bolts and fuse and stuff, in your first picture, is called a fusible link. The E34 has two fusible links in two separate boxes just like that. In some cars they are located next to each other, under the back seat. In other cars the first link is in the engine back next to the shock tower, and the second one is under the back seat.

The circled portion is not a fuse. It is a parallel connection. It leads to under the back seat of the car, and is connected to the second fusible link.

The fuse is 80A and it is the spanner shaped piece of metal in between the two bolts (left and right) at the top portion of your first photo. It is dirt cheap like a 2 bucks and is very easy to change out. After 30 years it will be in bad shape it will die, you should buy three and change both of yours out and keep the third as a spare. A bad fusible link can cause all kinds of weird electrical problems and also shut down the car entirely.
    Last edited by alang1990; 10-16-2018 at 09:22 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The circled one is not a fuse, just bare metal to connect power from the upper bolt to the lower bolt. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Mi...Fuse%20004.jpg
    The red cable in the fuse box comes from the battery, goes to B+ and from there to the e-box to supply power to the relays and the Motronic in the e-box.
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Mi...Seat%20004.jpg
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E30 M40B18, E34 M50B20
    Thanks guys, I could not find anywhere this information. Shogun, if circled one is not a fuse, how powerful fuse I can use to connect it? Now this cable is without any protection :O

​Can I connect it like that?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy27 View Post
    Thanks guys, I could not find anywhere this information. Shogun, if circled one is not a fuse, how powerful fuse I can use to connect it? Now this cable is without any protection :O

​Can I connect it like that?
    Well, yes, you could but I believe if you follow that wire a bit you'll find a fusible link already installed.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    here some more pics http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...sible_link.htm
    and the second fusible link you probably find near the battery.
    On the German E34 forum I have discussed that with one of the experts in electronics and he told me he has seen some EURO E34 with only one fusible link. Quote/translated: The fusible link/main fuse of the E34: the fusible link 80A is located in the thinner supply battery cable under the rear seat. There are 2 variants: older E34 have it hidden under shrink wrap and it is fixed with rivets inline, the newer models E34 have a replacable 80A fusible link in a black plastic box. The fusible link is located about 15-20 cm from the battery connection on front right shock dome, in case the battery is located in the engine bay; or next to the battery in case the battery is located under right side rear passenger seat. ALWAYS use a tester to measure a fusible link, there can be micro haircracks which cannot be seen with the bare eye. Best is to replace the fusible link in any case. In case the fusible link in the older version with shrink hose best replace to the newer version with fusible link bracket.
    fusible link bracket 61131288270, 80A fusible link 07119978840 https://www.petberger.de/pet-racing/...ng/HSiche1.jpg
    older version , shrink wrap removed https://www.petberger.de/pet-racing/...ng/HSiche2.jpg
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!