Thread: Shake and Vibration at Highway Speed

My Cars
    2003 & 1998 M3

Shake and Vibration at Highway Speed

Just wanted to see if there's any thing I am missing:

Have a 2003 SMG and around 65 mph I start to feel a shake/vibration in the seat and steering wheel. Gets worse as I get up to 85 mph and slightly worse if I make a sweeping turn / change lanes to the right.

Mechanic checked it out, they seemed to think front suspension is fine besides worn inner tierods which they think needs to be replaced. They balanced both front tires as well which made no change.

No play when trying to check wheels at 12 and 6, so not bearings? Could it still be control arms or something else?

Thanks

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SPapa View Post
    Just wanted to see if there's any thing I am missing:

Have a 2003 SMG and around 65 mph I start to feel a shake/vibration in the seat and steering wheel. Gets worse as I get up to 85 mph and slightly worse if I make a sweeping turn / change lanes to the right.

Mechanic checked it out, they seemed to think front suspension is fine besides worn inner tierods which they think needs to be replaced. They balanced both front tires as well which made no change.

No play when trying to check wheels at 12 and 6, so not bearings? Could it still be control arms or something else?

Thanks
    If tech gave the suspension the thumbs up, would think the LCAs are fine. Have you inspected the tie rods? Do the 3 and 9 test with the car jacked up before you replace them

My Cars
    2003 & 1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by harristweed View Post
    If tech gave the suspension the thumbs up, would think the LCAs are fine. Have you inspected the tie rods? Do the 3 and 9 test with the car jacked up before you replace them
    The tech did the 3-9 test and that is how they diagnosed inner tie rod at the driver's front. The vibration seems to be felt through the seat more predominantly which I thought indicated rear issue?

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SPapa View Post
    The tech did the 3-9 test and that is how they diagnosed inner tie rod at the driver's front. The vibration seems to be felt through the seat more predominantly which I thought indicated rear issue?
    I’m not going to second guess your tech but if he/she hasn’t inspected the subframe, now might be a good time

My Cars
    RWD
    Factory wheels? Did they check for bends?

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Whilst I’m not on the edge of my seat, I think the community writ large would benefit from an update; did you get the vibration sorted?