RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Need transmission advice

My Cars
    2012 BMW 328i

Need transmission advice

Bought a a CPO 2012 BMW 328i sport with 24,000 miles a few years ago. Automatic.
    At 48,000 miles car was shifting real hard. We took it to the dealer, after going back in forth a few times, they found a leak and stated trensmission fluid was low. They fixed it under warranty.

Now at 80,000 miles it is doing the same thing but a little worse. Also went into limp mode on me. Let it sit overnight. The next day when I started it, no codes popped up and was not in limp mode. So I took my time and drove it to the dealer. Shifted a little hard but again no codes.

dealer stated, out of warranty and wants $8k to replace the transmission. I argued over past problems I have had with this car and already had transmission problems. A few days later they said they would replace transmission for $4k.

So so here I am, I really don't trust the dealer. dont anybody else that I could trust taking this car to. I live about 40 min north of Tampa. I am mechanically ok. But never have messed with transmissions. I just don't see needing a new transmission at 80,000 miles. Lot of those miles are highway. I have been reading up on the selinoid problems and mechatronic issues. Don't know if this is something I could do or even if I am looking in the right direction. Any advice would help. Thanks.

BMW dealer also stated that the gear clutches were falling inside the transmission. No leaks and fluid level is good.
    Last edited by Jlcane; 10-15-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I would suggest pulling the car's codes to see exactly what they are. Even if they don't appear, there are definitely stored codes that will give you some good info. That should be a good start to figure out the next steps to take - although rare, I have read about transmissions going early. Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Welcome to the forum.

While it's unusual for an automatic trans to fail at this mileage, it's not unheard of. If, indeed, the transmission was low on fluid at some point in the past, to the point that it caused harsh shifting, then it is quite possible that it slipped during that period, which might have caused excessive wear. Since the dealership said the clutches were failing, it's very likely that they've read "incorrect ratio" codes.

When a car goes out of warranty, you should expect to spend ~4% of the cost of the car NEW, every year, for maintenance and repairs. Figuring that your car was somewhere above $50k new, that's $2000 per year. Years you don't spend this accrue.

With the dealer agreeing to give you a new transmission for $4k, I'd have to recommend that you take them up on the offer.

Certainly, you can try to get BMW NA to foot the entire cost, as a goodwill measure, but I really don't think that's likely to happen.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What exactly were the codes the dealer go from the transmission computer (EGS)? Did they tell you? What is the maintenance history of the transmission?

This is a good example why automatic transmissions need to be checked on a regular basis. And why “lifetime fluids” is a market ploy and not a maintenance philosophy.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    I am not too familiar with your specific chassis, but earlier model transmissions were very sensitive to battery voltage. Check your battery voltage, with the car both running and not running, and report those numbers back. On the e39 low battery/alternator voltage will put the car into limp mode. Maybe yours is similar and all you need is either to charge your battery or just replace it. How old is the battery and alternator?