Thread: Connecting Struts to Hubs: Anti Sieze or Loctite?

My Cars

Connecting Struts to Hubs: Anti Sieze or Loctite?

I was unable to get an answer to this question via search. The Bentley manual makes no reference to either.Any insight?

Speaking of the Bentley manual, there is an added note not to store the removed strut on its side or upside down for any length of time. If this has been done, they say to place the strut assembly upright with the rod fully extended for at least 24 hours. Why is this?

edit: Subject line typos suck. Connecting Struts to Hubs: Anti Sieze or Lock Tite?
    Last edited by Bostongruen; 10-15-2018 at 02:21 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Are you talking about the 3 bolts that connect the front strut to the spindle? I dont use anything on those bolts.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Yes. The three 18 mm fasteners. Unless I hear a good argument to do otherwise, I won't put anything on them.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I’ve never put anything on them and I don’t think there is any need to. Torque to spec and you’ll be fine. If you really want, you can mark them with torque seal to see if they move at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    If you buy a replacement bolt it has a loc-tite material on it. Look up pics of 31311136465. So yes I would use loc-tite.

Keeping it upright probably has to do with making sure the inner fluid is where it's supposed to be before being exercised.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by th3turk View Post
    I’ve never put anything on them and I don’t think there is any need to. Torque to spec and you’ll be fine. If you really want, you can mark them with torque seal to see if they move at all
    Thanks. I use my girlfriend's red fingernail polish for that. It actually makes a decent thread lock as well. After all, loc-tite is really nothing more than a sugar/water mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanniepoo View Post
    If you buy a replacement bolt it has a loc-tite material on it. Look up pics of 31311136465. So yes I would use loc-tite.

Keeping it upright probably has to do with making sure the inner fluid is where it's supposed to be before being exercised.
    Good point, Nanniepoo. That should have no effect on setting the proper torque, correct?

I'll be sure to keep the old struts upright since the garage floor is already a mess.

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    I went with the recommended torque setting.

My Cars
    I'm here to correct myself. I guess I didn't look hard enough at the Bentley manual. It actually says to either use new fasteners (referring to the three 18mm) or clean the old ones and use Loctite 270 or equivalent.

Should the top bolt of the strut housing be properly torqued before installation or is it better to torque it once it's been installed and the car's off the jack stands? The same question regarding the top three 13 mm fasteners.

My Cars
    99 M3

Connecting Struts to Hubs: Anti Sieze or Lock Tite?

BMW recommends new bolts for installation of new struts. The ‘factory’ bolts are coated with a thread or two of thread locking compound. I would recommend red Locktite, though I don’t use it and have never bought new BMW bolts.
    I am maintaining two M3s and a 328 that I have replaced the struts ~ 4 times (LOL!!!).

Torque to spec, which I believe is 74 FT-LB.
    The three fasteners are ~ 13 FT-LB, and the top strut nut can be torqued before WOW.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 10-17-2018 at 12:21 AM.