Thread: Rear Discs/Rotors stuck because of handbrake shoes!

My Cars
    1991 BMW E34 525i

Rear Discs/Rotors stuck because of handbrake shoes!

Any idea how best to remove my rear rotors? They were completely seized to the hubs but I've freed them now (some lateral movement), but they are still being held by the handbrake shoes (handbrake is 'off').

The rotors/pads need replacing anyway, and I'm sure the shoes are also, so I don't mind ruining them on removal. But I don't want to break anything that can't easily/cheaply be replaced.

Obviously I can't adjust the handbrake because I can't rotate the rear wheels to get a screwdriver in (which is why I'm trying to take it apart anyway, I tried to use the car for the first time in a few months and realised the rears were stuck). The rears rotate a degree or so (just the movement of the shoes I guess), but they are pretty well stuck, and I assume there is a groove formed somewhere which isn't helping get them off.

My Cars
    way too many
    With the wheel off, tap the perimeter of the drum portion with a hammer in numerous places, then put the wheel back on and drive the car forward or backwards to see if it will break loose. If not, repeat, pounding the drum harder.

Here's some details on adjusting the shoes:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...Handbrakes-101
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo pending
    89 535i 5-spd (may she rest in pieces)
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    1991 BMW E34 525i
    Yeah I was scared I was gonna burn the clutch out tbh when I tried moving it before

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Don't tear them off, because the weak point is the backing plate, which can't be replaced without pulling the hub, which usually means replacing the wheelbearing.

Try hosing down the whole shoes assembly with penetrating oil through a thin straw. Let it soak a good bit, then stick two sacrificable wheel bolts in the hub, preload with a nice rigid bar, and give it a good smack.

If all else fails, cut the rotors up with a cutting wheel, just beware of the hubs.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    A couple of thoughts from the rust belt. You mention that you cannot turn the rotor. Was the wheel seized? Perhaps with some leverage, such as a long bar between a couple of wheel bolts screwed in it will turn and you could back off the shoes.
    Is there access to cut/grind/break the heads off of the brake shoe retaining pins?
    Penetrating oil around the wheel bolt holes may work it's way to the hub area.
    Good luck

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue