Thread: Noises from beneathe the truck center under carriage X3 E83

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 E83 3.0si

Noises from beneathe the truck center under carriage X3 E83

Hello all, new to the site!

Currently I'm having a rattling or bad bearing sound / noises in the center bottom under carriage of my 2007 x3 e83 3.0si, right by or in the transfer case next to or in exhaust. It only happens at a certain rpm's 1150 -1350 and happens in park, drive, reverse etc.. Maybe Torque Converter or Cat?

I don't believe the transfer case turns in neutral or park but i'm not sure. It sound like marbles rattling around or bad bearings in this area but again only at the sweat spot rpm. I know sounds travel but I can feel it by the T.C. - Couldn't touch the pipes were too hot and ran out of daylight. I also have a vibration while driving, gets worse the more I drive, and feels like it's coming from the rear. Feel it in my seat.
    I changed the Differential Fluid, front and rear. Did a Valve Cover gasket replacement, (had some oil on my plugs and on the threads of number 3 and another) I replaced the plugs, coils and plug gaskets. I did get a code prior to replacing the Valve Cover Gaskets,etc.. (P114D)?. Reset it and has not come back.?
    Also, replaced a couple ground straps for preventive measure.
    One more thing - while backing down my driveway only in reverse not in neutral I get a squeak squeak backing up. Adjusted E-brake, still have squeak.

I changed / flushed my brake fluid today after doing all front and rear rotors and pads and was under the truck with a friend giving it some gas to simulate the problem / rattling noise. It sounded really loud. I never heard it like that from just driving it. I Thought it was just a loose heat shield or something stupid and was going to fix it today...haha

If anyone had or has this problem please help. Thanks in advance! PS sorry for the book

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 E83 3.0si
    Thanks for all the replies!!! Lol i finally found the problem and you guys won't believe what it was.
    Thanks again for all your help.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Suspense is killin me. Loose muffler or exhaust pipe?

My Cars
    2010 X3
    This form doesn't seem to have any responses to anything generally. I've gotten to where only look at it once every few weeks. Nothing I have posted has been replied to, ever.

it's too bad, cuz I was really excited about getting this car. I bought a 2010 used with 69000 miles.

I'm not familiar with what sounds are normal and what sounds aren't. However I have scratchy marbles in that same RPM range also. I'd love to know what it is.

Glad you were able to figure it out!

My Cars
    2009 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by executechs View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!!! Lol i finally found the problem and you guys won't believe what it was.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Hey Executechs,

I know it's been a few years since you posted this but this sound identical to the problem with my 09' X3, what fixed the rattling noise for you?(Praying you see this)

Thank you