Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M60 Intake Manifold vs M62TU Manifold.

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6, 03 530iA

M60 Intake Manifold vs M62TU Manifold.

Greetings fellow members of the forum, after a rather longer than preferred hiatus from the forum I have returned. This time with a question that will help me formulate the next steps in my "Build" which too has taken a hiatus. I am now getting ready to have my car tuned by DUDMD as I have acquired most of the parts required for it. From what I have seen the following is required to get the full amount of power extracted from his Stage 3 tune.

-4" MAF Housing (arriving in the mail next week)
    -Cold Air Intake (I've had the Dinan one on for a little over a year now)
    -A larger throttle body (In my case I have the N62 with the converted patch harness but have yet to put it on the car.
    -A cat delete (waiting on having the tune done first before I go to sole off-road use )
    -The M62 or M60 Intake manifold(I have an early M60 Manifold laying around with the internal velocity stacks).

After doing a little bit of digging around there are not many dyno charts available for before and afters of having the tune done. Dima has two on his forum post from many moons ago but they appear to have a different dyno used for measuring torque and power. Through what I have found on the forum I have seen a few variances and I am posing this question to get a more solid answer so I can make my decision and have my car tuned. The M60/2 manifolds were made with much wider runners than the M62TU manifold, and thus more peak power is extracted from that manifold. However several members have reported a slight loss in torque below 3000 rpm, and the variance in how bad the loss has been described as barely noticeable all the way to god awful. A decent amount of my driving on a day to day basis is in the 2000-3000RPM Range and that low-end grunt of torque is absolutely fantastic when it comes to merging on the highway without having to drop a couple of gears or even just hauling around at 2500rpm.

I would like to keep as consistent of a torque band as possible and want to know if I go with the M60 manifold vs keeping the M62TU manifold on there will I actually get that loss in torque in the lower mid-range? Is the extra added top end really worth it if I do? Is there a different manifold I should get if I want to keep that torque and get that added extra top end power? I'm a little stuck here and haven't been able to think about it as much as I'd like because muh engineering program is kicking my ass.

Also on a side note, I've seen that the E34 540i/6 FBO tuned by DUDMD has much higher peak numbers than the E39 540i/6 with the M62tu despite having both 10% more displacement and Vanos. Is that actually correct? Something about that doesn't really seem right.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i
    The M60 manifolds larger runners moves the torque band up the rev range as that is where larger runners provide more benefit. It will become more efficient at making power at higher RPM and less efficient at lower RPM.

With the TU engines, Vanos adjusts the valve timing depending on throttle input/rpm/load eventually advancing cam timing at high rpm to make more power etc which I believe is why the engineers combined it with the thinner runners of the M62TU manifold (which increases efficiency in the lower rev range) theoretically increasing the area under the torque curve throughout the rev range under WOT conditions.

Its of my *OPINION* that the M60 manifold stands to undo some of the engineering and vanos benefits resulting ultimately in less total area under the torque curve(the drawbacks at low rpm outweigh the benefits of the top end). But without back to back dynos who is to say?.

Besides, the intake side of the M62 is really quite good as it is. The real gains will come from the extremely restrictive exhaust manifolds, which if your 540i is going to be off-road, that would definitely be something to consider.

I believe we have a mutual friend with a totaled Topaz blue 540i6 M-sport? correct me if I am wrong haha.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by nasco View Post
    the variance in how bad the loss has been described as barely noticeable all the way to god awful.
    As often is the case, neither is correct. Its more than 'barely' but not that bad.

Don't sweat it. The TU still will have that better low/mid-range grunt that the non-VANOS has. Its worth getting back something at the top end IMO, unless youre a driver who says "well I NEVER redline it, I like more torque from a stop..."

What I would say is, don't get TOO bonered up about how many racekarwhorespowerz you're gonna get from all that big intake stuff. The stock M62TU isn't really intake restricted, its exhaust restricted by the MANIFOLDS (aka the cat delete ain't gonna do sh1t except make yer car smelly... unless your cat is dead).

Neither is a tune gonna do a ton for you, although throttle pedal remapping maybe makes it feel better, so... OK could be OK anyway.

I think there's a reason you don't see BTB same-car dyno comparos out there for that setup... cuz it wouldn't be really mega impressive for all the effort... Frankly I wouldn't bother w/ all the 4" stuff - but - since it seems like you're in already, well... go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nasco View Post
    Also on a side note, I've seen that the E34 540i/6 FBO tuned by DUDMD has much higher peak numbers than the E39 540i/6 with the M62tu despite having both 10% more displacement and Vanos. Is that actually correct? Something about that doesn't really seem right.
    Oh yeah that's right. Its primarily about the valvetrain.

Slightly different timing, longer durations in the M60, which is well know to be a somewhat better tuning platform. I think lift is the same but the duration and timing (esp on the exhaust cam, since the VANOS is adjustable obv) is what makes the difference.

If there were aftermarket cams available for the VANOS car, and you could add duration and maybe if you could some lift without notching pistons (you can't), then that woudln't be the case, but... Without opening them up and getting real gnarly, the M60 (and its immediate descendant M62-non-VANOS) have better top-end breathing capability... Pretty well proven... IMO the VANOS motor makes a better street-daily just for the reasons you mention, but the project-car guys usually choose non-VANOS for simplicity and for the cam/valvetrain reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shwy View Post
    Its of my *OPINION* that the M60 manifold stands to undo some of the engineering and vanos benefits resulting ultimately in less total area under the torque curve(the drawbacks at low rpm outweigh the benefits of the top end).
    Yeah, IMO just shies the other way, but like I said above.. depends on owners driving profile... Especially for an auto-car I might lean "leave it alone" but otherwise... depends on how you drive it...

Besides, the intake side of the M62 is really quite good as it is. The real gains will come from the extremely restrictive exhaust manifolds
    Exactly. If Id' seen this first I woulda just quoted it above instead of saying it again...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i
    Great info GG!
    I'd love to do headers myself. But smog makes things complicated and I've never looked into any options that would make power and pass smog. Mostly because I'm happy with the power how it is, but primarily because coilovers and a 6 speed swap would be more cost effective performance for me I feel.

Didn't know about the M60 cam duration. Do you know what the difference is in the Pistons (or elsewhere) on the M60 to allow for that? I've heard the TUB46 exhaust cams fit in the TUB44, wonder how that would perform with headers....

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6, 03 530iA
    Thank you for your insight and response.

That is certainly true that we do indeed have a mutual friend that totaled a topaz blue M-Sport.

If the juice is worth the squeeze, I may end up going with A1 Headers or trying to make a set of e-bay headers fit. I know that peak wise the numbers are certainly in favor of the M60 Manifold, I may end up just selling it on E-Bay and just sticking with the TB, MAF Housing, and Cold Air with headers.

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6, 03 530iA
    Thank you for your extensive write up, I apologize I didn't reply sooner. I will go ahead and look into headers as a more serious option sooner rather than later. Since it's almost absolutely required to pull the motor for a half easy install I plan to do it just once. I would say I definitely wind out the car a little more often than I did before and Will certainly start doing it more often since I will be doing the 90c thermostat mod. I figure that a larger throttle body and MAF with a tune can't really hurt as there is certainly a lot more power to be had from those two modifications.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I am about to do this on my 2000 740i sport. All the talk about the later m60/m62 non vanos intake manifold gains and losses feels inconsistent... I hear you will gain HP at higher RPMs but lose low end torque but why does the x5 4.6is which is a vanos motor use this manifold as the stock intake manifold??? Here is the one I have...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3343

Here is some additional info as well...

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=274288

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by purplecty; 10-18-2018 at 10:15 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i
    Discussion intakes gets strongly into the subject of fluid Dynamics. The 4.6is has more displacement which pulls more air, it revs to 6500 (higher than the 4.4) and has different camshaft profiles, it's quite different to the 4.4. Incidentally, the 4.6 makes both peak power and torque at higher RPMs than the 4.4...

There are so many intricacies regarding airflow, air intakes and getting air into the cylinder that without scientific testing it's difficult to draw conclusions. Typically, thinner runners increases air velocity which is important at low engine speeds when there isn't much suction from the cylinder tonavcelerate the drawn in air. At higher RPM, velocity of the air isn't (typically) the limiting factor and the actual volume of the air in the intake takes precedence when making power, hence larger diameter runners. You compromise one way or the other.

The DISA valve is a good example of an attempt to overcome limitations of a static intake by changing the length of the intake runners (length isn't the same as diameter of ofcourse, but it demonstrates principle, short runners are good for high rpm and long for slow engine speeds) Ferrari laferrari has an absurdly complex "infinitely variable intake length" system too.

So no single intake design is perfect. One may outperform another on average (total area under the torque curve on a Dyno graph) but there is always a compromise.

That said, the velocity stacks is quite an interesting addition that I'd LOVE to see results of with the M60b40 manifold on the tub44...

My Cars
    '03 540iA, '91 850i
    I'm still trying to understand (and make a decision on) leaving the intake stock or changing to the M60 manifold.

When I had my e38 I thought that changing all of it made a difference. I had the Dinan CAI, M60 IM, Dinan stage 2 and transmission software all done at the same time. It felt different (more powerful) when I was downshifting and accelerating at freeway speeds, but I never did any dyno runs before or after. So, I'm not making any claims that there was an actual difference.

Now that I have a 540i, I was planning to do the same thing. I have done a bunch of reading and research on here, and the more I read the more conflicting views on if that M60 change is going to be worth it (power-wise). My driving style is more about freeway overtaking speeds. I was thinking (and more importantly reading) about the s/c installs here as well. It just seems that it all of it is too much of a hassle to finally get working properly (with tune). If it IS worth it (not speaking financially, but enjoyment-wise) why would people on here getting rid of theirs?
    '91 850i 6sp CB42360
    '00 528iA sold
    '01 740iA Msport sold
    '01 540iA sold
    '03 540iA M-sport II with e46 m3 SMG style steering wheel with working paddle shifters, ISC N1 coilover front, Bilstein B8/Eibach sport rear, 19" Avant Garde Anthracite M359, Hella euro spec headlights, M5 aftermarket (Umnitza) foldable mirrors (painted body color), M60 IM (custom painted body color 354), powder coated valve covers (@Finish Logic; Concord,CA), Dynavin N7, Bavsound speakers, Cerwin-Vega sub (in spare wheel hub), soundproofed doors, trunk, under rear seat, wheel wells

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    nasco, do this forum a GREAT SERVICE: Do a dyno pull on you car with the stock intake manifold, and then change to the M60 manifold. Rinse and repeat, but make sure the conditions are very close.

Post the results.
    Last edited by edjack; 10-21-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I've heard the TUB46 exhaust cams fit in the TUB44, wonder how that would perform with headers....
    Yes they will fit, but don't start the engine. There isn't enough clearance between the intake valves and the piston.

My Cars
    E39 535i
    You can of course have the piston pockets enlarged... But how much do you want to spend?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I did a LONG post on the 4.6 cams in a 4.4 maybe 4 years ago. Whiteghost sent me a set of 4.6 cams that I put in a 4.4 that I had on an engine stand. IIRC there was less than 0.3mm of clearance on a cold engine while turning it over by hand.
    The 4.4 piston tops had plenty of material to cut the valve pockets another 2-3mm deeper.
    As you said, how much $$$ do you want to spend.
    Last edited by JimLev; 10-22-2018 at 08:58 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    As you said, how much $$$ do you want to spend.
    And for how much benefit...

I'm SURE the 4.6 cams have a solid benefit, and if one had a motor out and torn down already for rebuild or swapping in, then this project would be great/fine/super - refresh the whole motor... notched pistons, better cams... great!

But for anybody w/ a running car, engine-in... its just way way way way too much work for the results... You'd have to do it 100% DIY too or else it'd be an absolute crusher for labor time... cost you thousands of bux in labor alone to have this done to a running car at a shop... Better spent on blowers & nitrous really... (again - different story if the motor is out of the car already...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    02 BMW 540i/6, 03 530iA
    I really would love to do a before/after on the dyno, but I also have yet to get my BSEE and therefore do not have the funds to throw $300-$400 in the air for the sake of the forum. I've contacted a few places in the south bay that have Dyno's and none of them have any dyno-days coming up. I also don't plan on doing this stuff next weekend, I still need to do all of the work for my EE Degree and these midterms are killing me. :/

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    If you're still wondering whether to change to the M60 intake manifold...DO IT! Basically, you'll get the best of both worlds. The part-throttle response of the stock TU in middle rpms is higher. It will be a little less with the M60 manifold. BUT, at full throttle all that great mid-range torque is still there. What you will gain is power above 5,000 rpm.

My longer reaction is in this thread:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Manifold/page3

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    With a good tune and a proper set of headers read:pricey-er, your low end throttle response/pull will be as good as the M62tu manifold, with all the top end benefits of the M60 mani, at least in my experience. The tune will also gain that extra 300rpm redline whilst still pulling hard and making more noise.

Being that I still run the 5HP24 is the only downside to just bolting on the manifold just on it own. Reason being is if you catch the auto trans “off guard” in the not optimal gear for the situation, and at mid throttle modulation, at lower rpm (around 2100-3200rpm) just before it downshifts, there’s a noticeable lag and flat spot. That’s to me when you notice the negative difference the most between the two manis.
    Last edited by whiteghost1; 10-24-2018 at 12:19 AM.

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Mine pulls like a beast, new Vanos seals, new guides, I’ve got the AA tune. No extra rpm...
    Autotragic also.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    Mine pulls like a beast, new Vanos seals, new guides, I’ve got the AA tune. No extra rpm...
    Autotragic also.
    Which intake manifold are you running? Is that all you have with a tune?

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Which intake manifold are you running? Is that all you have with a tune?

I’ve got the M60 intake and a Dinan cold air intake. She pulls pretty hard. AA for some reason does not provide higher shift points...

According to AA they remap the Vanos.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I’ve got the M60 intake and a Dinan cold air intake. She pulls pretty hard. AA for some reason does not provide higher shift points...

According to AA they remap the Vanos.
    M60 early with the velocity stacks or the later M60 one?

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    It had the velocity stacks if I recall correctly. The trumpets as I’ve heard them reffered to.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    It had the velocity stacks if I recall correctly. The trumpets as I’ve heard them reffered to.
    Like this?

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Yes sir those are it!!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Yes sir those are it!!
    Ahh ok I got one of these non vanos M62 ones... Worth swapping in for my stock TU one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast