Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The final junkyard project

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Yeah, it looks like a minor job. Maybe a couple hours. Its got that going for it. Tbh I dont know how il remove it yet. I usually remove the m5_s front clip, pull the intake, pull the trans off and wiggle the engine out over the rack. But theres so much room in the bay with the tiny m42 I might be able to just leave the trans in unbolted from the bell houseing and slide the engine forward' up and out. Hood off ofcoarse. But' it looks like the subframe is different than what im used to also. Maybe its just older? I'll figure it out any way.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Just picked up the engine. Seller guy had a wonderful 2002 he was restoring. Got to shooting the squat and he ended up giving me a rebuilt getrag for free with the m42. So, this build apperently is meant to be. Lolololol

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Work sold the 68k mile z3 engine today, so I should have my exhaust manifold tomarrow. Yay.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Just picked up the engine. Seller guy had a wonderful 2002 he was restoring. Got to shooting the squat and he ended up giving me a rebuilt getrag for free with the m42. So, this build apperently is meant to be. Lolololol
    Did you happen to pick that up in the Saratoga Springs area? My buddy there is restoring a 2002 and had a bunch of M42 parts from the previous owners swap attempt.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    It was slightly west of Syracuse close to auburn. I dont recall the small village name.

Also. I talked to the boss and got the 68k mile zf trans with clutch for $100 with 2 cores. Score.
    Last edited by spyderg0d; 10-28-2018 at 01:19 PM.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Finally got to pulling the engine today. Wasnt too bad at all. Easier to come out than a 6 cylinder, thats for sure. I pulled the engine and transmission out the top with no issues.
    Ordered new valve cover and oil pan gaskets. Oil pan because the engine going in has an oil pan for an e30 chassis on it and obviously needs to be swapped. Valve cover gasket, just because i dont want to do it later.
    The transmission had been swapped at some piont as the junkyard markings on it. Some previous owner or mechanic had neverceized the exhaust studs as well which helped alot. The engine itself seemed pretty clean as well for 222k. But then again the chassis isabsolutely mint which is unbelievable for what ive seen here in NY. So I have to lean on that its just been highly loved by a previous owner. I will be pulling the head of the old engine to see if maybe it isnt cracked or warped and I hit that 1/100 chance of an actual gasket failure of old age. If it is good ilbe keeping that for business later down the line maybe another easy car purchase flip.

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 639510Attachment 639511Attachment 639513
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    But. I did run into 1 detail in not sure about. The original exhaust manifold is rotted at the bottom flange pretty bad and unsavable. I got a exhaust manifold from work of a m44 that looks identical and im sure will bolt on without fitment issues. Except the m44 manifold going on has a hole and channel for the obdll sap system. How do i plug this? Just thread and tap with a bolt? What about the channel between cylinder 1 and 2? Im hopeing i dont have to weld gobs in there and grind it off. Seems like too much work for something miniscule.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1997 328i
    We want to see pics w hen it's done and vid of doing donuts in parking lot And if it can't do donuts in the parking lot then we want a picture of a donut!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I think it will be able to do donuts. Barely, With tiny 195 tires. Im swapping the little borbett 15" wheels on it with some e46 330 wheels. Cant remember the number, but just basic split 5 spokes until spring when she gets the 17" style 5s ive had for a while. Wifes e46 gets back to stock wheels.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Found the original manifold on the car is aftermarket. Wont need to be replaced so I have the m44 manifold and nothing to do with it. Lol.
    Found the rear muffler is rotted beyond repair so il end up putting a random junkyard silencer on it.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Got the engine in the car. Mostly all connected. New oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket and grommets. What a pain to rip old hard grommets off and squeeze thenew ones on. Found both knock sensors beyond repair. And that they are $60 a pop. The cam sensor is $100. Upper intake gasket $15. Need to swap the oil filter houseing so my power steering pump will bolt on. $10 gasket. ... I think I'm going to splice together my e46 knock sensors onto the e36 sensor plugs for now. They should work theoretically. That will save me $100. Although I dont know if I can Cobb the cam sensor. The wire broke right at the sensor sotheres nothing to splice to. I wonder if the sensor is swapable with other cam or crank sensors on 6 cylinder engines and maybe if i have one laying around already.
    To be honest it took me about 2 hours to really figure out what plugged into what and the coolant line diagram.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Finally got all the parts in. Got the throttle warmer plate bypassed with a somewhat rigged hose from the head to the front port on the plastic coolant pipe. Have to figure out the vacuum line routes, put the maf on, fill the coolant system, put oil in it, check fuses and relays, and give it the good ole key turn.

- - - Updated - - -

And I still have to rig on a 6 cylinder muffler onto the 4 cylinder exhaust.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Got it all together... Broke a fricken plug wire... Fml. $170 from ecs for a set of 4! Had to eBay a used one for $40. Absolutely insane. Looks like another week in wait. anyone happen to know if a z3 muffler is the same as a 318is? Single pipe?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Yesterday I managed to weld a dual pipe 6 cylinder oem muffler onto the single 318 pipe and resonator. Spent most of the day running around collecting hardware to install it though. Luckily only 1 of the bride flanges was rotted off and lowes had the nuts and bolts. I had to drop my shop jack on the exhaust a couple times to put the proper curve in it to clear the rear end, but I had guess all the other angles of the exhaust out right and it bolted up fine with theexception of 1 missing hanger.
    I replaced a bunch of fuses damaged or just wrong amp rating. About 2 seperate minutes of cranking and she took off. Although it idles very high at aroumd 3 to 4 k. The gas peddle is responsive. I dont dare leave it running that long with fear of the engine (hasent ran in who knows how long while it sat with the PO) being damaged or overheated. Will replace idc and see what happens tm. It sounds quiet, and will probably need a new guibo at some piont soon. Other than that, way she goes.
    93 318is, total cost $1,150.

- - - Updated - - -

20181202_160516.jpg
    Found a plug not plugged in... It comes off the loom with the maf plug, the tps plug. Anyone know what it goes too? Could be my malfunction.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Yesterday I managed to weld a dual pipe 6 cylinder oem muffler onto the single 318 pipe and resonator. Spent most of the day running around collecting hardware to install it though. Luckily only 1 of the bride flanges was rotted off and lowes had the nuts and bolts. I had to drop my shop jack on the exhaust a couple times to put the proper curve in it to clear the rear end, but I had guess all the other angles of the exhaust out right and it bolted up fine with theexception of 1 missing hanger.
    I replaced a bunch of fuses damaged or just wrong amp rating. About 2 seperate minutes of cranking and she took off. Although it idles very high at aroumd 3 to 4 k. The gas peddle is responsive. I dont dare leave it running that long with fear of the engine (hasent ran in who knows how long while it sat with the PO) being damaged or overheated. Will replace idc and see what happens tm. It sounds quiet, and will probably need a new guibo at some piont soon. Other than that, way she goes.
    93 318is, total cost $1,150.

- - - Updated - - -

20181202_160516.jpg
    Found a plug not plugged in... It comes off the loom with the maf plug, the tps plug. Anyone know what it goes too? Could be my malfunction.
    Looks to be the fuel tank breather valve under the MAF if it isn’t the TPS..kinda hard to say since all of the connectors are the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I dont think so,that has a plug that comes out from the loom under the loom box.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Just looked on this one that’s the tank breather for sure, comes out with the maf,tps wires. Maybe your other ones are mixed? The length of each one is just enough slack to reach each different connector tho so its kind of hard to do that in the first place.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    It wasnt hard. But the wire length was noticed when i took it apart. Now I need to figure out what the plug is for thats currently in my breather valve. Lol
    Anyone?

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Ill have another look in a little bit, no check engine light when you ran it? It should throw something if the plugs are mixed up or disconnected

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Yeah, the cel was on. But I expect it to stay on until it gets ran a bit. I just found 2 minutes to swap the plug. The one that now has no place to plug comes from the very bottom of the plastic box under the intake.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Is the end a 90 degree or a straight plug? The only other things tucked in that area are the head temp sensor, oil pressure sensor and the knock sensors. I believe the lowest hanging part would be the DISA valve which sits just under the fuel tank breather, maybe thats it? I know for sure you will get a cel if any of these are mixed up.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I didnt think the disa had a plug. If so thats certainly what it is. I know the knock sensors are plugged in right as they are male ends. The oil sensor plug only has 1 contact on the inside of it I think so thats identified right. The other 3 are now right since you stated it was the breather vent along with the tps and maf.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    To be honest im not certain if the M42 DISA has an electrical plug, its been a while since i was in that deep. I do know the M44 one does. Theres really nothing else down there to my knowledge.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    The plug has to go to something. I just looked again for the 1 billionth time. The knock sensors are plugged in. The idle control is plugged in. The maf, oil sensor, disa valve, cam and crank are plugged in. What on earth does that go too!? It comes out at the bottom of the plastic electrical box and is very short. It sits right next to the starter solenoid. Unless there is a intake temp sensor in the intake I didnt see. I'm absolutely lost. Leave it to a 2 prong plug on a 318 to exhaust my mechanical skills. Smh

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    That plug comes out of the bottom of the electrical box with the oxygen sensor wire or the trans backup light switch wire. The plug thats unidentified is just long enough to plug into the disa valve, the oil pressure switch.. Almost as if it went to the alternator or starter or something.

- - - Updated - - -

20181208_135415.jpg20181208_135421.jpg20181208_135438.jpg20181208_135700.jpg

-Oakdizzle

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast