Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: The final junkyard project

My Cars
    1997 328i
    WOW.

Someone I knew had a 645ci (2006), he had some panels painted including hood, I told him not to do it cause he wouldn't recoup the cost when he sold it. The painter wanted to charge ~4k for the few panels but knew him so he was charging around ~2k. Gave him a ride to pick it up, it was in full sun, black car, so in the sun its a bit hard to see and imperfections, but looking at a shallow angle I could see fish eye's everywhere and patches (2"x4") of scratch marks from sanding. The guy wasn't to happy with the way I spoke to him, but he took the car back to properly finish it.

He bought this car from an exotic car dealership, he bought it at night, I was there to look over the car and told him I can't see anything and don't buy it at night. He bought it anyway, the fenders on this car are plastic so there's nothing to paint, but the hood had a section high up that was not painted properly and the car started screaming to me "I've been in a flood". He ended up selling the car to the painter/mechanic who was previously a cook of some sort.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Hopefully he did not charge much.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Hopefully he did not charge much.
    2k..
    He said he would do it good because 1. It was covid, and he had absolutely no business and 2. He had a worker he had to have work, so he would make sure it got done really well.
    3 months after drop off I said I had to pick up the car whether it was done or not because I needed to assemble and drive it before winter.
    He had it done that weekend.
    I only seen a few imperfections in the dimly lit room so I didn't argue with him.
    I should have sued for damages and likely ended up with all my money back if not more.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I like to diy and my car is super old and will never be a show car, so I'm tempted to paint myself. Sure there's a lot to it, power tools would be a must. The only part I'm not sure about is how to do the sunroof area, the seal whether to remove the seal completely to paint, cause taping that I can't see it looking good at all.

Could you imagine all the cool tools you could have gotten to diy your cars paint for 2k? You cold have gotten one of those inflatable paint booths and the best paint gun.

Even if you wanted to sue you couldn't cause covid stopped the whole court system. You should at least have talked to the guy and said he's gotta refund some if not all cause your gonna sue and give negative feedback at every website. Maybe even get a free paint job (you would have to supervise lol).
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    I like to diy and my car is super old and will never be a show car, so I'm tempted to paint myself. Sure there's a lot to it, power tools would be a must. The only part I'm not sure about is how to do the sunroof area, the seal whether to remove the seal completely to paint, cause taping that I can't see it looking good at all.

Could you imagine all the cool tools you could have gotten to diy your cars paint for 2k? You cold have gotten one of those inflatable paint booths and the best paint gun.

Even if you wanted to sue you couldn't cause covid stopped the whole court system. You should at least have talked to the guy and said he's gotta refund some if not all cause your gonna sue and give negative feedback at every website. Maybe even get a free paint job (you would have to supervise lol).
    I can promise, you remove the sun roof seal paint, and then put a new one in. I suggest new window trims and windsheild trim as well.

I could've just saved the 2k, put another 1k in and got a quality job somewhere else.
    Truth is I got lazy with covid happening. I had a shitty welder, all the stores were closed. It sucked all around.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    So, I guess I'm back.

I did an oil change at the beginning of season to 20-50. The risoline in the break-in procedure didn't cause any harm, but it indeedly thinned the oil to a crazy thin consistency. 20-50 shut the lifter tick up right away and the engine is dead silent for entirety of operation besides the 3l growl on stainless headers.

2 months ago the aftermarket hood pins unscrewed themselves while driving causing a debacle. And I gave up. I put the car up for sale.

For 2 weeks I dealt with hundreds of potential buyers. Many so stupid, they wanted to drive it 300 miles with a wrapped hood and shattered windsheild with no plates or insurance. (As if)
    Anyone who knew what it was and had the money didn't want to drive 8 hours for an old e36. Anyone who didn't have the money wanted to say it was clapped and explain why they were broke pos. But anywhoo. After about the 3rd guy showed up and lied to my face, I just gave up on selling it.
    I ordered fenders and a hood. The hood is on backorder until November so the cars up until spring. So I have ordered everything I need to replace on it for the next paintshop spree in March.
    The blue beast lives on.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    It was meant to be!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You will add ITBs soon.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Probably not. I still have the .120 cosmetic head gasket in package, so supercharger for sure. IL have to swap out the 3.91lsd as well. I'm in the engineering department now at my lawn mower factory, so I can afford all these things with a tiny bit of constraint to the budget.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    New hood showed up today 2 months early. It showed up at the wrong house, luckily the stranger came by and said I had a giant package on his porch. Shipping places hire anyone these days.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011