Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The final junkyard project

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Its beautiful. Maybe if its just a weekend ride eh? Might get some more life out of it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Na. The m70 should be more than reliable. It should get better gas mileage in a tiny e36 rather than the giant 7 series boat its it. I will up the rear end to a 2.91 lsd and make use of the power. It will be a awsome daily car at first. I'm sure by the time I go turbo, il have moved on to another platform to mess with besides e36.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Got the m70 to sputter and start today. Looks like the project is a go.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    the m42 moved its first 20 feet today under its own power that was just a quick forward and reverse. I cleaned the throttle with brake cleaner to break up some of the carosion that was holding the plate open. it took care of the sticky throttle problem. however it led to the discovery that the icv is completely junk. the car is incapable of maintaing any sort of self controled idle. i had to set the throttle cable to a piont where it holds the throttle open and the revs at about 800. i cant find an icv for this car to save my life as of right now.
    i sprayed the intake and all vacuum lines and found no leaks.
    the cel code is for 1222 oxygen sensor. and only at idle. (i assume from lack of idle at all) and goes away by itself fairly quickly after a couple quick revs bounces of the engine by hand. \
    I noticed the engine haveing a slight rock as if it was misfireing. which led me to check coils, which i found responsive, meaning coils and wires and probably all plugs as o.k.
    l also discovered that when i remove the oil cap, i have alot of posative crank pressure. I assume from the piston rings which havent been run in years from the po. so im hopeing that a few more heat up and idle cycles will free them up. otherwise, the entire engine is toast and il be looking at going to a direct 6 cylinder swap asap as finding a m42 block is probably im[possible in the area without an entire car coming with it for $1500... which i now think is where i should have started instead of the $700 bulzhyt.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1997 328i
    There's a trick for the sticking rings, pour a bit of injector cleaner in there and let it sit over night. I would put just a small amount and repeat after some time, otherwise it would just drain into the crank quickly.

For the Idle valve, I would try a ultrasonic bath in distilled water. They make small ones for ~25 on ebay, make sure its 110v.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-30W-Min...d/153241353208
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I found one online thats not on back order for $130. So that should be here next week. I will pour some cleaner in it today when I change the plugs out.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    .... Messed with it a bit. Found a fuel rail leak. Replaced those horrible difficult metel lines with soft line. Cleaned the icv. Re adjusted the idle screw. And now the car idles fine at about 750 800. The 02 sensor code comes on amd off the same as before occasionally with a hunting idle.
    However the engine still seems to bounce a bit at idle as if it misfires. Are m42 somewhat shaky normally compared to a sit in a soft pillow m50?

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I see I might have to adjust the maf? That could be it. When I sprayed some brake cleaner in the feont of the air box, the motor did react pretty intensely.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    I think the M42 should, when in good condition, run very smoothly and have a stable idle.. It's of course not as smooth as a 6 cylinder, but it shouldn't have bad vibrations and stuff.

O2 sensor can be anything from O2 sensor to injectors, coolant temp sensor, air temp sensor, MAF, fuel pressure regulator.
    I think the O2 sensor is a lot cheaper than on the M52 engines, so you might try and just replace it.. But chances are it's a leaking injector or bad MAF.
    Can you get INPA running on it, so you can see all live sensor values (also comparing known-good MAF flow values). That will help a lot diagnosing the cause.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Oh snap! I completely forgot I boaght a laptop to dedicate to guitar pro and tuneing software! I still have to order an obdl round connector though. On it.
    But I'm certain the 02 sensor is off a bit as the idle hunts in the same time span as the 02 sensor would be expected to sweep in voltage. But I'll run some injector cleaner and some new gas through it anyway. Also, right now safelight is apperently haveing sales issues as a windsheild is now only $199 and the $30 to come to location to do it. So..half price windsheild season! I cancelled the icv since I didnt need it. So I think I'm have the car road worthy with a legal inspection sticker from non running bad head and cracked windsheild for under $1150 plus the $200 windsheild brings me to a gran total of $1350 invested. Which is going rate for a local 318is with 170k on it... But certainly with rust and less new parts and more unexpected problems to face. So its a fair trade off.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Nice work spyder! How's the blow-by? any improvement?
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Na.havent messed with the maf.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Messed with the maf... It was spot on. I spent about an hour out in the cold spraying carb cleaner at every angle I could in the engine bay. I found 1 leaking injector seal on number 4.. Also found the very inside of the middle intake gasket leaking as well. Which puzzles me because its brand new. But I did wonder why an intake seal was metal. Il have to gob it up with silicone. I wonder why none ahowed up before when I sprayed unless it was because the icv was also stuck before. But anyway. And I have some new spare injector o rings somewhere in one of my bucket-o-spare e36 parts. When I put a heavy object on the intake and sprayed the shit out of the injector, the engine idles perfectly and has no problems spinning a tire in the grass.
    I acheduled the windaheild replacement for Saturday after noon. Slip came to be $264. Apperently they charge $34 to come to house, and $10 disposal fee. So even with it being $199 windsheild seals and labor, they snag ya with mobile and disposal.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Saflight guy flaked on the job. I dont know if he was intimidated by a bmw, too tired, or simply didnt want to do the job. Ended up calling saflelight corporate and am getting another appiontment sometime this week..
    I siliconed the upper intake gaskets and replaced the injector o rings. Still shakes like a v8 when at idle. Although now it does idle at about 750 to 800. So all intake leaks are gone. I still have a problem setting the idle screw along with the cable tension. It seems when i get the idle screw right I lose the ability to access the stomp test cel function. And now I cant seem to find the sweet spot to get the function back throughthe throttle position.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Thats sh*tty, did they throw you any kind of discount for that? Any smaller auto glass places near you? Mine vibrates a good amount too but i can see that my engine mounts are cracked to hell, so i think thats a contributing factor haha. You might want to just replace the cable, they do stretch a little. This one is screwed all the way out but the pedal linkage is also ziptied right now..

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Safelight callwd back with a second techs opinion.he said the pinch weld has a dent.. I went out for the 3rd time to see what they are talking about. Anyone see a dent? Because I dont. 20190105_140421.jpg20190105_140505.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Its pretty obvious the hood hit the corner of the windsheild and cracked it and smushed that corner in. But it disnt bend anything. Even with the hood on, I can extend the hood all the way open and the hood never touches any sort of metel. Just the glass. Safelight are absolute dueschbags. Must have been intimidated by bmw or something retarded. Ugh. Why is it even when I pay cash for a "reputable" company to work on my car it turns into a god damn hassle. Jesus. Always bullshit.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Pics aren’t loading for me. I ended up going with a local guy, did a great job and it was cheaper than safelite, plus he came to me.. i think i paid 200 cash

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Yeah. It squished the bead of urethane or silicone, the metel underneath isn't bent. I moxed up my words in rage.
    But yeah, I have to find someone. Looks like it wont be this week though as im expected a foot of snow tonight. ...

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1996 e36 convertible
    can you explain how you bypassed the anti-theft or direct me to where you found the info.
    I also bought a e36 with no key and no info on the engine

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    My 93 only has drive away protection. Or ews1. As long as the ignition doesnt try to start the car while the doors are locked, the security will not activate. Atleast thats what i remember when i looked at the system info. I drilled the column and pulled the steering lock spring. Popped all the lock modules off the door locks so i couldnt be locked out or the door lock mistakenly lock and possibly set off the security. Wired in switches to the ignition switch to bypass the ignition switch. I found all the info useing the search bat on this forum site.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny this thread popped up this morning. I forgot i even had this car sitting in my backyard all winter! Time to get that windsheild done!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Got car out. Figured out the lumpy idle as a crank sensor starting to go. Ordered a sensor. Just waiting on the glass to come in and this car should be ready to roll.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Update! Glass came in! Car runs beutiful with new crank sensor and small vac leak fixed. .. I immediatly got bored with the 1.8l. Decided since the pandem gets massive cowl shake from being low as possible,extended track width, and the top i realisticly wont ever shell out the cash to replace... Better off just swapping the m50tub30, 330 brakes, coil overs, all the upgrades into the 318 shell. Ditching the "show" car luxeries and going ltw. So, i have a m42 with 20 miles on it from me and the entire 318 drive line and crap for sale before I junk it all. The convertible frame is up for sale for pieces for everything that wont swap over. Hopefully that will all happen asap. Might be till summer before i widebody the coupe tho.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Sold alllllll the junk in the 318. Engine, driveshafts, trans, clutch, rear end, brakes, ect for $800. Finishing up the m50b30 swap now. Everything out of the pandem is in.
    Swapped in body harness to retain cruise, asc+t, power seats ect. I made it wayyyyyy more difficult than it needed to be. For some reason i removed the options from the harness first before installing it all. Moving the airbox a few times to get the harness placed just right sucked ao bad. Made use of 5 rolls of electeical tape. Removing all the convertible wireing was a pita. I deleted alot of the doorlocks and zke wireing since the car wont have door handles. I keep thinking I only have alittle left to do, but then i realise i jeed a new clutch master, install the clutch slave and line, screw around with the peddle assembly, weld in a new bottom gas peddle mount, place the FPR, and then fix the now failing jack posts.
    and filter, Dash install, bleed allllll the brakes and clutch, and.. Shit..
    But the pros... Il have a solid, clean af coupe with a fresh 3l, obd1, low miles zf, coilovers with all new bushings, 330 brakes, 3.91 lsd, and a bajillion other goodies. Its gonna be beast for almost a 27 yr old car. Haha. I cant wait to get the pandem kit on it with the style 5s again.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I just converted to the obd2 coil pack harness that il probably put into a roundel connector soon. Il be doing the same with the injector rail. Mostly so that when removing the intake, i can just unplug the rails and coils and remove it all as one unit. 20190901_160229.jpg

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Today, because its raining, I decided to see what was up with the sunroof. Found 1 rear plastic tab in the rail broken after wireing the motor to a drill battery. Either the relay or the switch is undoubtedly bad. I ended up breaking the other rail plastic tab.. Then both of the little plastic armatures trying to get the thing closed.. So... Ive decided im just going to weld the POS closed and ditch the failing seal.. Which is exactly the reason why the jack pionts have rotted.. The failed sunroof seal let debri in the sunroof drain. Inevitably clogged, spilled into the cabin floorb and rotted in the settle spot, which is right above the jack pionts. . sunroofs effing suck.

-Oakdizzle

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast