Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The final junkyard project

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    The picture of the harness on real oem is of no help. It shows only 7 outlets. And doesn't have the knock sensor plug outlets I dont think. Il list again. Maf, tps, cam,crank,oil switch, knock sens,knock sens, coolant temp,coolant temp, icv, disa vacuum valve, 02 sensor, trans reverse light switch. Thats 13 plugs. The picture on realoem if you count the missing knock sensor bungs, counts 12..... I have a phantome plug!! Why me.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic

The final junkyard project

The last two pics aren’t working, is that larger hose in the second pic coming from the valve cover? Looks like the earlier build M42 so maybe a little different than mine under the intake idk. I did notice that your tps looks upside down though.

Ill dig a little deeper later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    The last 2 pics just show the icv plugged in. The last shows the disa vacuum valve is plugged in and the phantom plug below that area.
    Tbh bro, I wouldnt know if the tps was upside down or not, thats the way it was when I got the car. I have worked on dozens and dozens of 6 cylinder bmw, not once ever touched a 4 banger beaides a glimpse at a z3 at work.

- - - Updated - - -

But sincerely, thank you Nick.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I think ive figured it out. I think its a m44 harness. I researched the m44 disa system and it has its own plug connector along with the seperate vacuum solenoid plug I think. I think someone at some piont was going to throw in a m44 system? But is it possible to use an m44. Or m43 system on a m42? ...

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    I only have hands-on experience with the 4 cyls. Im hoping to pick up an m50 in the future to tinker with. I think you’re right tho, after comparing the two harnesses, it appears the m44 has a smaller junction box that disconnects from the upper part of the harness but has less connectors. It is possible to use the later harness with the m42, its just a matter of converting OBD2 to OBD1 with EWS successfully. Thus converting OBD1 to 2 is an easier task. That and I believe the cam position sensor was mounted differently inside the timing case of the m44.

M42

M44 (lower junction portion)

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Niether. My car has independent coil packs like the m44. Bit it has the general look of the m42 harness but the lower box is different . Or its somehow a mix of the 2. I boaght a frankenstiened something I guess.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Confirmed franken-harness. Double checked under the intake again, nothing else connected past the DISA. From the looks of the wire routing, im pretty sure the PO lost track of the connections lol.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I found on realoem that my car deffinatly came with the individual coil packs mounted on the strut tower. And I think the picture shows the plug now that ive stared at it.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I found on realoem that my car deffinatly came with the individual coil packs mounted on the strut tower. And I think the picture shows the plug now that ive stared at it. But I dont know. I thnk its official that im obsessed with it now. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_0624

- - - Updated - - -

Does it look like an extra plug to you?

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Yeah it looks like an extra on the diagram. Not sure what it could be, when I have time I will do some more research as well. I’ve seen some differences in the auto and 5 speed harnesses too but I dont think theres any difference in engine components..

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I noticed its also on the pic you posted of the m42 harness. Heres a zoomed in of the exact plug. It comes out the bottom of the harness box with the starter wireing. Screenshot_2018-12-15-17-39-31.jpg

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Acvording to this diagram i found. That plug IS for the disa. However the other plug that comes out with the maf and cps is the one that's not on the diagram. Screenshot_2018-12-15-17-47-32.png

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    I have no idea what its for. Its getting to me and I dont want to pull my upper engine apart today..damnit

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    So yeah.. The bottom plug goes to the disa. The plug that comes from the tps and crank ps and the evap canister... EVAP CANISTER.. So I plugged it in. Started it. And instead of rev hang at 4000. It started great... But immediatly was heading to the redline. So I had to shut it off asap. More research..

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Read through a bunch of threads. Messed with the throttle adjustment and it made a big difference. I'll need to clean the throttle and springs before it will idle appropriately without stalling or messing with the throttle. A code for 1221 or 1222 through the stomp test after messing with the sketchy throttle again. Also noticed the tach didnt really mirror the engine rev when I was revving. Almost as if the tach got stuck while the engine changed revs sometimes the tach was hung on 1500 while the engine was slowing sometimes less around 1300 or 1200. I didnt really try to see if it mirrord up high.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Wait.. the connection is to the canister?? Theres none on this one. Also you should see if your crank position sensor will rotated 180 degrees because it really does look upside down, ive always seen them facing down, plug side.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Yeah. I threw in a makeshift keyless push start toggle and button so I didnt have to keep breaking the ignition switch with a screwdriver. At first I had the front plug plugged in at the disa and the bottom plug unplugged. It ran but idled at 4k. I checked the cel and it was like a 1263 code. Evap code. Had to google where it was. Found it and seen it was not plugged in. Put my palm to my forehead pretty hard. Plugged the bottom plug into my disa and the front plug into the fuel evap canister,not the vacuum canister that was already plugged in. Started it up and there was no cel until it threw the 1222. The 02 sensor looked ok when I had the exhaust apart. So im going to spray for vacuum leaks first before I do anything else.
    In my research of the m42, I found MANY different pictures. Some with the tps up like mine, some not. The crank amd cam can only mount where the mount stud hole is that positions it. I think they made subtle changes through the years if not every year. It seems there has been more or the same amount of mods to any m42 as m5_.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    For instance I think later m43 and 44 had 2 tps. Early m42 had it like yours. Mine doeant have asc. So I might have an led but I doubt it. That would be nice to throw in a medium case 328is diff I have for the later swap along with the 68k at trans. The only thing I lack for the 6 cylinder swap is the obdl harness. Which is why I still havent picked the 12 cylinder yet.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Gotcha, yes lots of little revisions..just wanted to make sure. The fuel injection vacuum lines checked out okay? Sorry I dont remember if you mentioned those or not. 4k is a little high idk if such a leak would cause an idle like that..

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    No. It idles fine now. Except that it stalls if I push the throttle closed all the way. The throttle needs to be cleaned. The springs need to be cleaned and made sure they work because they currently cant pull the throttle closed like they should. After that I should be good after I find vacuum leak(s).

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Oh alright I understand. That’s a real pain in the ass. Are you having fun working with the little 4 banger yet? Haha, let me know how everything goes, and what’s this about a 12 cyl swap? Into the 318?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Eh, its still better than a civic. Lol. I work at a junkyard. A 92 740il (I think) came in a few weeks ago. Engine turns over but Doesn't start. So I was thinking instead of swapping in the m50tu stroker motor I threw together from junkyard parts, I might just go overboard since I can probably get the entire v12 setup for next to nothing. I havent diagnosed the m70 yet though to reallyput a price on the project. Where is a 3l conversion on my 318 is probably under a grand. I think the only thing I need is a driveshaft and obdl harness.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Thats sounds like a steal, works out perfect..must be nice working there haha. What a rocket that would be

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I think the m70 is only like 300hp and torgues. But its certainly heavy. It would initially be na. But why v12 if not fi? It's got like 8 to 1compression. So it would be probably awsome to twin turbo. I'd bet it could get 500hp easy. The aluminum block though... Idk. I have a habit of going too far.

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows

-Oakdizzle

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast