Thread: Weird options? Are these rare?

My Cars
    1993 BMW E34 520i

Weird options? Are these rare?

Hi!
    I just went through my options list and discovered some "special sounding" options to it

My E34 is a 1989 535i manual
    I'll get the obvious options out of the way first.
    - Mtechnic sport package
    - Differential lock 25%
    - Detachable tow hitch
    - Deleted model lettering
    - Green windscreen shield
    - Lift up and slide back sunroof
    - Sunblind rear
    - Alarm system
    - Floor mats velour
    - Seat heating driver/passenger
    - Armrest driver/passenger
    - Interior/outside mirror with autodidakt
    - Radio preparation
    Now to the interesting ones, I don't fully understand yet...
    - Self-levelling suspension
    - Sport suspension settings
    - Hydro steeringservotronic?
    - BMW LA wheel cross spoke 2 section?
    - Seat adjuster electric with memory? (cloth, comfort)
    - Electric headrests (though only e32s had this?)
    - Headlights wipe/wash intensive cleaning?
    - Fully automatic airconditioning
    - Auxiliary heating?
    - Cruise control
    - reinforced power supply
    - Hifi speaker system (any good?)
    - additional turn indicator lamps (rumours must be true)

Does somebody know if some of these are rare or could explain some of these to me compared to the normal counterparts?
    With friendly regards Maikel

Sendt fra min D2403 med Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Green windshield?? Post a picture, im interested in how it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    here is one https://www.bmwccgbforum.co.uk/wound...opic10179.html
    probably NLA, this shop makes them https://bmwglass.com/ quote: Once upon a time shade bands on the top portions of windshields were standard issue. Slowly the trend has reversed itself and very few newer vehicles have any green, blue or bronze shading for protection. Let us help with a custom tint strip on your new glass.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    here is one https://www.bmwccgbforum.co.uk/wound...opic10179.html
    probably NLA, this shop makes them https://bmwglass.com/ quote: Once upon a time shade bands on the top portions of windshields were standard issue. Slowly the trend has reversed itself and very few newer vehicles have any green, blue or bronze shading for protection. Let us help with a custom tint strip on your new glass.
    Ahh I see now. Even more impressive is the fact that the cars spare tire is actually a style 21 too!!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by LazurE34 View Post
    Hi!
    I just went through my options list and discovered some "special sounding" options to it

My E34 is a 1989 535i manual
    I'll get the obvious options out of the way first.
    - Mtechnic sport package
    - Differential lock 25%
    - Detachable tow hitch
    - Deleted model lettering
    - Green windscreen shield
    - Lift up and slide back sunroof
    - Sunblind rear
    - Alarm system
    - Floor mats velour
    - Seat heating driver/passenger
    - Armrest driver/passenger
    - Interior/outside mirror with autodidakt
    - Radio preparation
    Now to the interesting ones, I don't fully understand yet...
    - Self-levelling suspension
    - Sport suspension settings
    - Hydro steeringservotronic?
    - BMW LA wheel cross spoke 2 section?
    - Seat adjuster electric with memory? (cloth, comfort)
    - Electric headrests (though only e32s had this?)
    - Headlights wipe/wash intensive cleaning?
    - Fully automatic airconditioning
    - Auxiliary heating?
    - Cruise control
    - reinforced power supply
    - Hifi speaker system (any good?)
    - additional turn indicator lamps (rumours must be true)

Does somebody know if some of these are rare or could explain some of these to me compared to the normal counterparts?
    With friendly regards Maikel

Some of these are unusual for US members, such as the tow hitch. Others are unusual but nothing crazy...
    SLS was available on most E34 and came standard on many Tourings. I didn't know it had a Sport option, though. I would expect the rear shocks to cost a royal fortune.

Servotronic adjusts steering hydraulic assist based on vehicle speed. A lot of E32 came with it and most E34 seem to be wired for it. I had a Servo box in my 534i and never hooked it up. The result was very heavy, halfway unassisted steering at all speeds. I liked it, personally.

Cloth comfort memory seats? Weird combination, but then people say my leather heated manual comfort seats are weird. I like them

I thought only E32 had electric rear headrests too, but the E34 rear power box has room for the electronics, so why not? I think they're dumb...

Headlight washers and the intensive cleaner aren't unusual for Euro cars. Neither is IHKA, cruise control, "hifi sound" (standard on US E34. It's decent, good speaker placement, ok speakers that are easy to replace, lacks bass), or auxiliary heating. The latter allows programming the OBC to heat the cabin for a certain time with the engine off. It came standard on at least some US E34, and almost certainly requires the big OBC.

I don't know what "reinforced power supply" or "additional turn signal" are.

Hvordan liker du de "lokale piger"? Bruker ikke Adblock?

My Cars
    1993 BMW E34 520i
    Green shade band looks a bit off on delphin grey.

Don't really know what to do with the seats and if they're worth to fix (really worn out) I do have a electric leather sport cabin (no memory) lying around taken from a M5...

And No.
    No local girls in my area

I bought my 535i with broken starter motor so got it cheap (around 2800£ including the d*mn taxes we have here)

Photo taken from when I first got it, but got some throwing stars with it instead of the steelies

*finally found myself a nice almost rustfree e34, most rustfree e34s down here are the 520, and 518s (why)

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    "reinforced power supply" = larger alternator than the small standard one
    "additional turn signal" = was not standard on the Euro version, but many retrofit it, that is the turn signal front left and right in the fender , How To : http://www.7-forum.com/modelle/e32/s...sten/index.php

My Cars
    1993 BMW E34 520i
    I was about shocked to see this options list, since my previous 520i, 525i and 525tds literally only had 2 maybe 3 lines...

My Cars
    1989 535i
    I was about shocked to see this options list, since my previous 520i, 525i and 525tds literally only had 2 maybe 3 lines...

520 models usually had next to no options since they were the base model in many countries. It's the only E34 I've ever seen that had an analog clock in it. I think the diesels were similar in being fairly lacking in options and 525s were a 50/50 on if someone went for options or not. 535s were top of the line behind the M5 until they were replaced by the 540 so most people who bought them had the money to spare for more options.

I'm not sure what auxiliary heating is. It could be the option where you can have the heater work on a timer and start automatically for you in the morning? Or maybe heated mirrors and windshield jets?

Cloth electric seats with memory are definitely rare though, especially for 1989. I didn't even know 89 models could have memory seats. I've only ever seen electric cloth seats once but never with memory and even then the electric ones are very rare.

I'm surprised at cruise control being considered rare though. I'm also surprised the extra indicators are rare, they're standard on all Australian models but I suspect it's because of our road safety requirements for cars.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    s536a auxiliary heating bmw e34 is the separate, independent heating system, mostly ordered in Europe for Scandinavia, the unit comes from WEBASTO. Quite complicated and expensive

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    s536a auxiliary heating bmw e34 is the separate, independent heating system, mostly ordered in Europe for Scandinavia, the unit comes from WEBASTO. Quite complicated and expensive
    Oh cool I was right. It's mentioned in the manual for my car but I don't have it installed. I recall it uses some of the petrol from the car somehow to start itself and warm up? I'm vague on the details since I've only ever heard of it but never known specifics. Very interesting option though, especially for the time period.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    for example here the installation instructions indepedent heating on E34 with M51 engine, installation time 11 ! hours https://bmweba.com/tag/e34/

My Cars
    1993 BMW E34 520i
    Funny, how 518s are mostly loaded with all kind of options, very tempting if not for that 4 banger...

My Cars
    1993 BMW E34 520i
    The seats might be coming for sale soon
    I'd rather have electric sport seats
    Cloth comfort seats with memory and fully electric headrests rear and front. Heated ofcourse

My Cars
    E34T
    I was wrong about the heater. But then what's the official name of the "residual heater"?

You can replace the seat padding and upholstery, keeping the frame and all electrics. I took cloth manual seat frames and installed black leather heated cushions from my 534i's power seats. Sport seats use different frames, however.

Were there ever cloth heated seats?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3

My Cars
    E34T
    Yes, but can't it also heat by running the aux water pump? Or am I confusing this with some Benz models?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    owners manual page 51, 52 describes it, independent heater/ventilation system http://www.e38.org/e32/E32_1992_Owne..._optimised.pdf
    not sure if that are different options, heating and/or ventilation

My Cars
    1993 BMW E34 520i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    I was wrong about the heater. But then what's the official name of the "residual heater"?

You can replace the seat padding and upholstery, keeping the frame and all electrics. I took cloth manual seat frames and installed black leather heated cushions from my 534i's power seats. Sport seats use different frames, however.

Were there ever cloth heated seats?
    Well mine have it, so I think so then?
    Again very weird to option out cloth seats, must have been more comfy to the person who bought it new?

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Well mine have it, so I think so then?
    Again very weird to option out cloth seats, must have been more comfy to the person who bought it new?

Some people like cloth since it's not too cold in winter and doesn't get too hot in summer. but the downside is stains and tearing though, so choosing between leather and cloth comes down to personal preference more than anything.

My Cars
    E34T
    Cloth is quieter. Top-shelf JDM cars are cloth (wool, rather) for that reason. It's more comfortable as well, and what you lose with staining you gain with not having to condition it. Leather looks and smells better, but I'd do good cloth if I had the choice. The other bit is that vinyl and I think cloth E34 seats have flatter and firmer cushioning than the leather ones.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    I've had both and it's a hard pick honestly. I really liked the cloth seats and the softness but cloth just doesn't look right in an E34 in my personal opinion. The leather comfort seats are surprisingly comfortable and look great, they're not too noisy either which I didn't expect. Also the smell, yes. It adds something to the overall experience.

It's all about preference though. I've got nothing strong against either, I just like one more than the other. Which E34s had vinyl? I thought only the taxi and police packages had vinyl.

My Cars
    1993 BMW E34 520i
    I might just redo them in the same velour as the carpets then

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post

Servotronic adjusts steering hydraulic assist based on vehicle speed. A lot of E32 came with it and most E34 seem to be wired for it. I had a Servo box in my 534i and never hooked it up. The result was very heavy, halfway unassisted steering at all speeds. I liked it,
    I installed Servotronic steering to My e34 touring. But to get working properly you'll need to install the control unit which looks like a tall black relay. It is located behind the speaker in the drivers foot well. This will soften the steering when car is not moving or parking and low adored the feel is like electric steering very light. The steering harden as you increase speed.

Without the control unit the steering is harder than standard power steering.

md_44bf5c79-dd93-4289-8c21-d8e8b5320ec8.jpg
    Last edited by zkd; 10-18-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    E34 525i Touring 1995, M52B28 LSD... fully restored.