Thread: Transmission fault / car won't go into gear question.

My Cars
    2008 750i

Question Transmission fault / car won't go into gear question.

We have a 2008 750i with 80K miles.

For the last few months, the car has been shifting strange (especially when starting up or downshifting). It's been somewhat sporadic though.

Yesterday, my wife was driving the car and as she started up from a stop light, she felt a slight stutter while shifting, then the car gave a warning.

As best as she could recall, the yellow cog/gear on the display console came on with an exclamation point, the main display read "transmission fault", that the car would only go into "D" mode (or drive mode?), and the check engine light came on. It also said "the fault may be resolved by restarting".

She drove into a nearby parking lot, parked the car, and shut off the engine. She waited a while and restated the car. At that point, the same faults came back on the displays.

The car will not shift into any gear, and stays in the park mode. The "P" stays illuminated and yellow indicator arrows (to the left of "D", "P", "R") constantly flash.

I had the car towed home and scanned the car for error codes. In the transmission, there was an error code that read "4E23 electronic pressure control valve". From what I understand, this code is for the pressure control 4 solenoid valve - one of the EDS pressure regulating solenoids in the mechatronic unit mounted in the transmission.

Anyone have any similar experiences with this issue, or advice on solving the problem? It seems pretty straight forward to install a new ZF solenoid kit, pan, and fluid. But before dropping over $500 on the parts, I would like to make sure this will solve the problem.

One other thing that is strange, after doing a bit of reading, it would seem that the car should be able to go into "limp mode", but the car won't go into (any) gear?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    1995 740iL
    My 2006 750Li would not shift out of park. If I repeatedly pushed the shift lever it would eventually go into Drive. I drove it 10 miles and got the message "transmission overheated". My mechanic opened the transmission and saw a plastic part broken, it has two holes and is some type of coupler that allows trans fluid to flow thru it. The part is about $20 and fixed my problem. Not only is my transmission running again, but it does not hesitate / bump like it did before. I can't remember the name of the part, but I described the fix in my other transmission posts on this board. I don't know the codes or if I had your code. I would find a good independent shop with lots o BMW experience to look inside the transmission and see if it is a simple fix, or if there is considerable metal shavings, low fluid etc. Or, if you are rich and don't care about money, take it to a BMW dealer...