Thread: Keyfob issue while locking

My Cars
    None

Keyfob issue while locking

Hi, just got a 2003 BMW 2.5, car is in good general condition but something weird is happening with the keyfob.

At first, the seller told me that the keyfob needed battery and BMW would no replace the batteries unless buying a new one.

Searching in the forums I was able to reprogram the remote (battery was still good) but I notice that only the unlock and trunk button were working. I re-program the remote several times and the issue was still persistent.

Playing with the keyfob I noticed that I was able to lock the car, at first didn’t know what I did, but car locked

Then I realized that I have to quick (within 1-2 seconds, as fast as I can) double press the unlock and then the lock button to lock the car.

This is the only way I can lock my car with the remote.

Is this normal behavior?
    I looked at the programming options I could not find anything to make it work that way.

Is my keyfob faulty?

Keyfobs are really expensive, what you guys think.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by joluga123; 10-14-2018 at 02:40 AM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Congratulations for your new purchase and welcome to the forum. From what you are describing it appears:
    1- The key fob is now successfuly synced to the vehicle
    2- All 3 key fob buttons are functional
    3- The current problem is the sequence you use to lock the vehicle.
    By default you shouldn’t have to unlock first to lock unless the car was already locked. Perhaps the prior owner had the vehicle programmed to auto lock the doors after a certain time if vehicle was unlocked but doors were never opened.
    The key fob button functions are programmable to various options (e.g. remote soft top open/close with unlock/lock functions). Since there are more functions than there are buttons sometimes a special sequence is utilized to perform the specific function. These special functions are programmed and can be changed via BMW car key memory (CKM) software either at the dealer or elsewhere.
    I suggest you take some time to get used to operating the Z4 and the remote first and then reevaluate. Also compare the operation of other keys if available to the one in question. If problem still exists then you can explore the CKM programming options. Also there are so many YouTube videos and “how to” guides that have beautiful illustrated step by step answers to these basic questions (here, in other BMW forums and on part vendors websites). I find Google to be very helpful in that matter. Have a nice weekend!

The Z4 manual can be downloaded from this link if you don’t have a copy:
    https://carmanuals2.com/bmw/z4-2-5i-...s-manual-17760
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-14-2018 at 10:57 AM.

My Cars
    None
    Thanks for your reply,

I will look into programming and see what the options are.
    As far as auto locking been enable, I don’t think it is, car does not lock by itself anytime, I’m just concern about having to quickly unlock and lock within 1 second, I can hear the locks opening up and locking right away, it may cause additional wear.