Thread: 1998 740iL Wipers and washer not working, tried everything

My Cars
    1998 740iL, 5/98

1998 740iL Wipers and washer not working, tried everything

I have owned this car since it was new, and have debugged and replaced many things on it myself. I am a competent mechanic since my Dad's rule was that you couldn't drive until you learned how to maintain.

My wipers and washer pump both stopped working simultaneously, when it was drizzling, of course, so I stopped and checked the fuses, but no visible blown or broken fuses under the hood or in the trunk. Once home, I searched this forum and others for similar problems and tested the fuses for the wipers and washer motor using a multi-meter for connectivity. They all conducted DC current.

I ordered replacement relays for the K36 and K37 relays before I opened the E-box and pulled them. There was no water or corrosion at the connectors or in the E-box, and when I pulled the relays, the prongs were a bit discolored but not corroded, and had bright spots where the contacts held them. I did not pull the receptacles that the relays plugged into, but replacing the relays with new ones had no effect.

I then looked for where the wipers and the washer had a component in common, and the only one I could find was the switch on the steering column. The new switch came today and installation was pretty easy since I didn't have to remove the steering wheel, etc., but after installing the new switch, still no wipers or washer pump function.

I am stumped, and am asking for any help or ideas.

My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,
    Definitely odd. I rescued a low mile 1998 750iL that had the same issue. It had sat for a couple years, and the wipers were in the UP position. I did the same thing, checking relays and power to the wiper motor by the master cylinder. I quit messing with it, and replaced the weakened battery - so it sat over night disconnected. The next day it began working again with the fresh battery.

Try the battery disconnect. To fully drain, use the bulb in the trunk and complete the circuit with the +/- cables by briefly touching the bulbs ends.
    2001 | DINAN 7 Sport | S62 Swapped 6-Speed
    DINAN Springs & Exhaust | 750 Brakes | M-Pars | Monsoons | NBT Nav/Radio
    Dual Pane Glass | Black & Sand Int.

| 750iL | AlpineWeiss III

@scotthduke on Instagram

My Cars
    1998 740iL, 5/98
    Duke, thanks for your response. I'll try disconnecting the battery for a while, but I have had the battery disconnected for at least an hour during the time that I was replacing the relays. I am not sure what you mean by "To fully drain, use the bulb in the trunk and complete the circuit with the +/- cables by briefly touching the bulbs ends." I just can't picture what you are saying, so could you please help me out by elaborating? When you say the "+/- cables" do you mean the battery cables or the lines to the light? And when you say "briefly touching the bulbs ends,' do you mean remove the bulb from its' socket and short the contacts in the socket? I am confused as to what exactly I am trying to fully drain.

Since my original post I have looked at electrical schematics and found that the General Module in the E-box is also a common component to both the wiper motor and the washer motor, but it is also common to the interior lights, the door locks, the rear windows, and several other components, all of which work.

My battery is fairly new and fully charged, and starts the car quickly. The problem happens regardless of whether the car is running or if the ignition switch is just clicked on.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by wrapper; 10-15-2018 at 04:28 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by wrapper View Post
    I have owned this car since it was new, and have debugged and replaced many things on it myself. I am a competent mechanic since my Dad's rule was that you couldn't drive until you learned how to maintain.

My wipers and washer pump both stopped working simultaneously, when it was drizzling, of course, so I stopped and checked the fuses, but no visible blown or broken fuses under the hood or in the trunk. Once home, I searched this forum and others for similar problems and tested the fuses for the wipers and washer motor using a multi-meter for connectivity. They all conducted DC current.

I ordered replacement relays for the K36 and K37 relays before I opened the E-box and pulled them. There was no water or corrosion at the connectors or in the E-box, and when I pulled the relays, the prongs were a bit discolored but not corroded, and had bright spots where the contacts held them. I did not pull the receptacles that the relays plugged into, but replacing the relays with new ones had no effect.

I then looked for where the wipers and the washer had a component in common, and the only one I could find was the switch on the steering column. The new switch came today and installation was pretty easy since I didn't have to remove the steering wheel, etc., but after installing the new switch, still no wipers or washer pump function.

I am stumped, and am asking for any help or ideas.
    Not sure how much carryover there is between the 3-series and 7-series, but, I had a similar issue in my '01 325 and it was all tied back to the "GM" - General Module or Body Module. Not sure if our E38s have em, but, you might look into that.
    '01 325Ci Convertible, 5-speed
    '01 740iL, Stahlblau with beige interior & 18" M-Pars, GROM bluetooth
    '03 X5 3.0 six cyl, Gray on gray

My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,
    GM is possible, too as the above chap mentioned.
    2001 | DINAN 7 Sport | S62 Swapped 6-Speed
    DINAN Springs & Exhaust | 750 Brakes | M-Pars | Monsoons | NBT Nav/Radio
    Dual Pane Glass | Black & Sand Int.

| 750iL | AlpineWeiss III

@scotthduke on Instagram

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    You may find this interesting:
    https://www.bmwgm5.com/GM3_Info.htm