Thread: ABS light opinion

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman

ABS light opinion

Hello to all:

Been a member for a number of years but dropped off after sold Z3 (long time BMW owner but went over to P car). Now picked up a nice 2000 M roadster (CB/grey/black) with 55K miles. ABS light is on (PO had not driven much last few years and left battery d/c and when he did drive he didn't tighten cable-left it loose). I used peak reader but no faults shown (20 pin under hood). I reset everything and light was out until I start moving and then within 30 feet of forward motion it returns. Re-read and still no faults. I cleaned the front speed sensors (they were dirty but intact) but no changes. Any opinions? Do I need a more advanced code reader? Just empirically replace all 4 sensors...

Thanks for any ideas

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would read it with Ista or autologic just to make sure. A good shop should have an autologic at least. I would not replace any parts until its reread.
    Last edited by jclausen; 10-13-2018 at 02:44 PM.

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    I just had an independent shop read the code. I am not sure which platform they used but they are a known shop that does a wide range of BMW work (they had a 2002 rebuild on a lift) to include current models (out of warranty). He could not communicate with the pump (he tried to actuate from his reader) and stated looked like pump/controller was faulty. He then quoted $500 for rebuild + shop time for R&R and bleeding.

I contacted ModuleMasters and gave them my car info and abs module PN-not one they work on... It is a Bosch 34.51-1 090 910 (the woman I talked with stated they have not had success in rebuild and they "wonder if error is in another module"-her explanation)

So, my quandary: given the above info from MM, is this unit rebuildable? Anyone know of another rebuilder? Should I have the indy take care of the issue (with the unknown risk of them not being able to complete the task)? Should I buy a used module (and are they interchangeable) and install myself?

Any opinions from those here with greater experience and knowledge on this issue?

(just to remind everyone it is a MY2000 roadster with a 9/99 build date)
    Last edited by spfd72; 10-18-2018 at 08:27 PM.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    If the abs light is on there must be codes set. Did your Indy provide any detail other than the pump not activating. Getting the cables and inpa software setup really helps with a wide variety of issues that pop up

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Sounds like dsc or the older version asc module?

My Cars
    z3
    Thats a lot more than Id charge for that work...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    I am not sure which system he used to interrogate but he just went straight to seeing if he could activate the abs system which I assume went straight to the heart of the issue: if the pump activated then he would work backwards to other components. Since the abs didn't activate he surmised (which makes sense to me) that was the issue. I contacted module masters about a rebuild and my (MY2000, 9/99 build) is a bosch system that they cannot rebuild (pn 34.51-1 090 910). I did contact Bavarian Recyclers who are shipping me a used pump (@$125). Hopefully it will be a correct system (1 year warranty) but it will need to be coded to my car. I will use the opportunity to replace brake, clutch lines with SS and a new clutch slave since the braking system will be open anyway.

If I download NICS can I code the "new" module to my car?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Change part and then diagnose the problem later?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Please educate me. If there another reason the ABS module would not activate with direct communication interrogation? My assumption (right or wrong) is that if it didn't respond then it must be faulty (since I assumed the other variables were eliminated-IMHO limited as it is...).

Thanks for any information.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I would investigate power to pump or the separate asc computer module found behind your glovebox, and make sure they have power.
    You may end up replacing something and having the same issue. There may be power, but then the communication lines having a fault.

The stuff modulemasters does is for dsc, which has the computer part all built in into the ABS pump.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 10-25-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Well, I purchased at Foxwell 510 thinking it would be helpful. So it communicates ok and gives me faults-unfortunately I am not sure how to interpret them

F ASC Fault stored
    ASC Passively engaged
    ABS Control passive
    Brake-light switch not actuated
    ASC control passive

There are no code numbers, etc just the verbiage above. I can clear them and at start up the lights are out but after movement at a few mph, they reappear. So, as my ADHD personality wants a quick solution, I'm a bit frustrated. If anyone has insight to what the Foxwell is telling me, please share. Otherwise I think that I am going to get the pin out (quick link anybody?) and start tracing from the control module with a voltmeter to look at power to the module, speed sensors, etc. (I did note that I was having some irregularity to my brake lights yesterday but today they illuminate normally).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Update: Foxwell 510 and my other investigations (module pinout search, etc) led me to believe ABS module was the culprit. Took to another independent who confirmed with interrogation (this was another indy who had a great rep. I am very rural and have to drive 75 min to get to any metro (and I'm talking 50K population or greater) area. The first indy I mentioned earlier had done work for me a long time ago and I wasn't as happy at that time (also thought my pump could be rebuilt-not true) and decided to go with another 180 degrees in the other direction/metro area. I got a module/pump from Bimmerrecylers in CA ($125 shipped). While I was there, I had them replace my brake lines, clutch line (all braided stainless) and slave (UUC supplied materials) since they were into the brake system and had to flush anyway. 6 shop hours later all is well. ABS/ASC functioning normally and better shifting and clutch engagement/feel (it was engaging very low off the floor and after warming up a little knotchy into 1st). Could I have done this myself-probably but I don't have a lift and I have no assistance and therefore would need more equipment for bleeding brakes, etc. So money well spent and now I can move on to more projects (cooling system, suspension) over the next months. Hopefully this module will have a long service life...