My Cars
    2001 BMW x5

Talking BMW 2001 X5 Center Console replacement-get rid of cd changer storage

hello bimmer gents,

i was refereed to this forum as the mecca to all problems BMW related. i have a 2001 x5 and it has the CD storage in the center console and i am desperately looking for a part to replace it with just a large well, you know something actually practical! i have searched google/amazon/ eBay and alibaba to no avail. I would GREATLY appreciate any guidance as to where i can take that CD storage bin out and replace it with something else.

Thank you all in advance for your time and consideration!

Ryan

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Are you familiar with the online part databases yet for BMWs? If not...there are multiple options for the center console...see if these are any of the things you'd prefer...then use the 11 digit BMW part number in a google/internet search to find online vendors that may be selling that part (also try eBay and Amazon.com...as well as your local BMW dealerships Parts Dept (not the service dept))

For example #1 in the diagram (and link to the part number database) below is a storage bin that can be substituted for the CD or Cassette storage (#4 in diagram):

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 BMW x5
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Are you familiar with the online part databases yet for BMWs? If not...there are multiple options for the center console...see if these are any of the things you'd prefer...then use the 11 digit BMW part number in a google/internet search to find online vendors that may be selling that part (also try eBay and Amazon.com...as well as your local BMW dealerships Parts Dept (not the service dept))

For example #1 in the diagram (and link to the part number database) below is a storage bin that can be substituted for the CD or Cassette storage (#4 in diagram):

QSilver 7

Thank you for your quick reply!
    No i am not familiar with the online part databases for bMW. I just created an account yesterday. In the picture that you included it looks like the part that i have in the first picture, the CD changer bin which i am desperate to get rid of and replace with just a bin. It looks like you have found that. Is that for a 2001 bmw x5, and if so, please dont get frustrated, but can you tell me how you found it, and if the link you sent above is the actual part that I can buy that will fit my BMW?

I appreciate your time and efforts in advance and sorry for being so naive at this point!!!!

Ryan

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by paidattention View Post
    Is that for a 2001 bmw x5, and if so, please dont get frustrated, but can you tell me how you found it, and if the link you sent above is the actual part that I can buy that will fit my BMW?

I appreciate your time and efforts in advance and sorry for being so naive at this point!!!!

Ryan
    Yes, I went to www.bmwfans.info and input info for a 2001 e53 X5 3.0 (since I don't have your VIN...i used the only info I had and that was a 2001 e53).

To use the online part databases...you can enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in the appropriate field and click the enter button. This will allow you to browse the entire database. You should see either text or diagrams for every system. In the case of the "bin" you're looking for...it is found under VEHICLE TRIM diagrams. Click on that then scroll until you find the center console diagrams...click on it and it will open in an exploded view with the part nbrs listed below the illustration.

You will also see supplemental info columns for each part number listed that is helpful. You asked is this for my X5? I don't know for sure because again...I don't have your VIN or model nomenclature...but just looking at the part number and the supplemental columns...there is NOTHING listed in the DATE column...so that means that it fits all 3.0s from start to end of production. And if you click on the part number...the site will reveal all other BMWs that use the same part number...and I'm sure you'll see that all e53 X5s (3.0/3.0d/4.4/4.6is/4.8is) all use the same part number.

Once you have the 11 digit BMW part number that is correct for your vehicle...you can then type "BMW xx xx x xxx xxx" (where x = part number listed) into a google/internet search to find online vendors that sell that product...as well as BMW dealers that sell or advertise online and nationally. You can also use the BMW 11 digit part number to find the correct used part as well (eBay or Amazon.com). In fact, anytime you're buying parts...using the part database to look up the correct part number using your VIN is a good idea...this helps not buying the wrong part in case there's a change during the production run (which there are many). If it is a very obscure part...then you may need to contact your local BMW dealership's Parts Dept (not the service department) to order the part.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-14-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)