Thread: Oil Filter Housing Thread Repair Tips (M54)

My Cars
    01' 540i/ 02' 530i Sport

Question Oil Filter Housing Thread Repair Tips (M54)

Hey All, I dug into my 02' 530i last weekend to do all sorts of fixes. Gaskets, CCV and the like. Upon putting everything back together I ran into a snag "literally" with two of the Oil Filter Housing Bolts. The top right, and right middle. The middle one I'm not too worried about, it's the top right with the Alignment Dowel that has me worried. I've decided to use a thread insert (heli-coil) for the fix. I've never done this so I'm hoping to learn a new skill.

How can I remove the Dowel to get a drill bit in?

Other things that I'm curious about....

Once I remove the Dowel, will it reinstall? Hammer?

Should I use thread locker on the thread insert when installed?

Should I use thread locker on the Bolt going into the insert? (What about re-torquing the bolts once the gasket is seating?)

Any tips on how to drill straight and not screw it up?

Any tips on how to screw in the tap correctly and not screw it up? (I've already got all the tools, lube and grease) (Giggity)

In my line of work there's a saying, " You don't know, what you don't know!" That's what I want to find out here, I've found some previous threads (pun intended), (Giggity) they fail to mention how to remove the dowel pin and reinstall it during the fix.

Thanks for any help guys, I really want to get it fixed this weekend, I've been driving my truck all week, it gets 15 MPG.

Shout out to @CNN and @Jason5Driver ...... I've read your thread and it's great.

Thanks, FreightDog
    Last edited by FreightDog; 10-13-2018 at 01:14 AM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    So what happened? You stripped the aluminum threads? Did you over-tighten?

Anyway been there, done that. Helicoils will work. but before you do that, examine /probe the threaded hole carefully. I have found that usually the threads extend beyond the length of the bolt. I don't remember if the upper right bolt is one of the long ones, if it isn't, take a longer bolt and thread it in and see if the threads at the bottom are strong enough to hold. If they are, buy a longer M8 X1.25 bolt (likely online) and trim it if necessary so you have the maximum length. Threaded rod of the same thread and a nut will also work.

If this does not work, helicoil or timeserts will work. The locating dowel will come right out with (1) needle nose pliers or (2) small vice grips

These days when I do an OFHG, I tighten bolts gingerly by feel with a small 1/4 drive ratchet. you don't need much torque.
    Last edited by effduration; 10-13-2018 at 08:39 AM.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Few tips if you do need the helicoil

use a block of 2x4 as a guide jig and drill the guide hole nto the wood on a drill press so you know it’s perfectly straight. Drilling into the aluminum block goes quickly so do it in small increments and check depth frequently with something measured to the length of your bolt. Used a compressed air can and straw to blow out metal shavings. Tapping the hole by hand is easy and tough to screw up, just make sure you don’t over torque or force the tap once it bottoms out. No need for thread locker on the insert itself, there’s a metal tang at the end that locks it into the hole. Blue loctite on the finish bolt is fine and you can still torque to factory spec (22nm/16 ftlbs) in the helicoil.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    There's several threads w/ tips on this out there... sorry I can't help, never had to wrestle with it although I'm well aware of the hassles... FWIW cnn & Jason5 don't come around here much anymore more although Jason had a drive by not long ago... so you might be looking for somebody else to help out here.. (Can always try to PM them tho'...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    01' 540i/ 02' 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    So what happened? You stripped the aluminum threads? Did you over-tighten?

Anyway been there, done that. Helicoils will work. but before you do that, examine /probe the threaded hole carefully. I have found that usually the threads extend beyond the length of the bolt. I don't remember if the upper right bolt is one of the long ones, if it isn't, take a longer bolt and thread it in and see if the threads at the bottom are strong enough to hold. If they are, buy a longer M8 X1.25 bolt (likely online) and trim it if necessary so you have the maximum length. Threaded rod of the same thread and a nut will also work.

If this does not work, helicoil or timeserts will work. The locating dowel will come right out with (1) needle nose pliers or (2) small vice grips

These days when I do an OFHG, I tighten bolts gingerly by feel with a small 1/4 drive ratchet. you don't need much torque.
    Not really sure what happened, the bolt seemed to be going in fine, wasn't even all the way to the bottom and it didn't want to go any further, so I backed it out and the aluminum threads came with it. The top right bolt is the short 50mm hole, I did get longer bolts so I can see how deep the hole goes, I'm positive that it's way beyond just needing a thread chaser. The right middle bolt wasn't very tight when I removed it last weekend, I didn't think much of it at the time, but now it's obvious why. I'm pretty sure it was already damaged from the previous owner/mechanic. Using inserts seem like the best bet for me because If I screw it up I could put a stud in and use a nut. I will see if the bottom threads will hold with the longer bolt.

It's 39 degrees outside, I'm just waiting for the Sun to come out more so I can start working on it.

My Cars
    01' 540i/ 02' 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Few tips if you do need the helicoil

use a block of 2x4 as a guide jig and drill the guide hole nto the wood on a drill press so you know it’s perfectly straight. Drilling into the aluminum block goes quickly so do it in small increments and check depth frequently with something measured to the length of your bolt. Used a compressed air can and straw to blow out metal shavings. Tapping the hole by hand is easy and tough to screw up, just make sure you don’t over torque or force the tap once it bottoms out. No need for thread locker on the insert itself, there’s a metal tang at the end that locks it into the hole. Blue loctite on the finish bolt is fine and you can still torque to factory spec (22nm/16 ftlbs) in the helicoil.
    Twistytee
    Thanks for the tips, everything you're saying is making sense, I didn't think thread locker on the insert was a good idea either. I'm waiting for the Sun to come out so I can go inspect theses threads a little better.
    Last edited by FreightDog; 10-13-2018 at 11:43 AM.

My Cars
    01' 540i/ 02' 530i Sport

Thumbs up Fixed

Hey Guys thanks for all the tips,

I was able to get the job done last night. I put the thread insert down a little to far on the middle right housing threads. I was able to just get a 5mm longer bolt and it threaded just fine and torqued down to specs. Drilling, Taping and installation of the Heli-Coil/thread insert really wasn't that hard, I used thread cutting lube for the drill bit, and general purpose grease for the Tap.

I enjoyed learning a new skill as well. A big bonus on the performance boost I got as well, pretty sure I had vacuum leaks from my CCV and Intake Manifold Gasket.

Thanks again for your help!

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    For anyone else looking to do this, check out the DIY video I made on the job:

link: https://youtu.be/nYCgnUkDvJk

Thankfully in the several I've done, I've never needed to deal with stripped bolts or repairing threads

My Cars
    01' 540i/ 02' 530i Sport

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rbelton View Post
    For anyone else looking to do this, check out the DIY video I made on the job:

link: https://youtu.be/nYCgnUkDvJk

Thankfully in the several I've done, I've never needed to deal with stripped bolts or repairing threads

Hey, a shout out to you as well! A couple of your videos have helped me in the past.

The Oil Filter Housing repair is not at all that hard, I've just been dealing with a car that was not properly maintained from the previous owner. When I pulled the Housing off I immediately saw gasket maker everywhere. I think they just reused the old gasket and went nuts with the gasket maker and torqued it down to stop a leak. My Vanos oil line was leaking as well, so with that and other stuff taken care of while I was in there I got a nice boost in performance.

Thanks, FreightDog

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Sorry I missed this thread.

Here is a thread with some information and pictures for you :
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Stripped/page3

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Sorry I missed this thread.

Here is a thread with some information and pictures for you :
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Stripped/page3
    good info Jason!