Thread: Should I buy this E30?

My Cars
    06 Mercedes E350 Wagon

Should I buy this E30?

I regularly look at my local craigslist for cheap cars and was surprised to see an E30 the other day. an '85 325e manual trans. It was under a grand so very intriguing as I've seen that these cars generally don't go for that little. So here are the bad parts: Biggest thing is the lost title, the owner bought it without a title so that doesn't help much. I've checked the VIN and it seems to be clean, and I've met the owner and they aren't super sketchy. Worse still the key is broken so a screwdriver has been used in lieu so it will likely need a new ignition and of course a key. Body is pretty straight with very minimal rust, paint is faded and clear coat missing. Dash is pretty good but lower dash trim pieces are missing (exposed wires in driver footwell) passenger seat is missing and drivers seat is ripped to sh*t but intact, would need reupholstery. Gauges look good and all windows are intact and doors open fine, it's a two door. It's been sitting for a couple months in a backyard but apparently was running fine this summer. The owner says a fuel valve at the connecting point between the fuel line and the engine is bad and that it spews gas out, the part has been priced out at $150. Also battery is completely dead and needs replacing. I'm no expert but I think the wheels on it are bbs from e36 era, at least they have bbs center caps. Owner has said that their bottom dollar is 400, they're getting rid of it ahead of moving out of state early next year. So with all this said, should I get it? I want a project and I think this is a great price, title issues and all, but i'm just not sure. Also i'm not mechanically inclined, little to no experience working on cars. It seems like all it needs to run are the battery, the fuel valve, and probably a tune up and the rest of the issues are cosmetic.

My Cars
    1986 325e
    so no title is your biggest problem. personally im gonna say no and keep looking. secondly the screwdriver should be an instant red flag. the car is stolen, dont buy

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    i agree /\. title is a huge issue
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by Roko629 View Post
    Biggest thing is the lost title,
    Worse still the key is broken so a screwdriver has been used
    rust,
    exposed wires in driver footwell
    passenger seat is missing
    it spews gas
    Also battery is completely dead and needs replacing.
    Also i'm not mechanically inclined,
    little to no experience working on cars.
    Run!
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    06 Mercedes E350 Wagon
    Lol yeah after stepping back and giving it some thought I've realized that it was in fact a terrible idea. Thanks all for your responses, and I suppose on the bright side I know have an interest in BMW's and e30s