Thread: Clunking and General Maintenance

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe

Clunking and General Maintenance

Whats up guys? So I picked up my 1995 530i 5 Speed back in february and have been loving it. She had about 61k when I got her, now shes at 72 and I've started getting some clunking. Originally I was getting big clunks under any hard acceleration in first or second and I determined my motor mounts were leaky and busted. I changed out the motor mounts with oem and the trans mounts with some 80A poly mounts from garagistic. This fixed it until I started getting clunks anytime I put the clutch in and some major vibrations. So I ordered Garagistic front and rear shift carrier bushings and OEM Flex disc and center support bearing and just got all those in. The sloppiness and clunks are much better now but I still am hearing an occasional clunk when letting the clutch out or letting off the gas and I'm thinking it may be suspension. What are your thoughts on what I should look to next? Is there any parts I may have missed? My plan hopefully in the spring is to buy the 16 Piece control arm set from FCP Euro and just go through everything down there. Thanks for reading and any input you may have

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Lucky you with the low mileage. Unfortunately, 23 year old rubber is 23 year old rubber, and you could be looking at a few things if you’ve had to replace the things you did so far. Any indication as to where the noises are coming from?
    Rear, I would say maybe think about doing the subframe bushings, especially because when you transfer the weight of the car it clunks. Shock top mounts also go bad, and can make some interesting noises. The front end refresh kit is a great idea, although it certainly isn’t cheap. Goodluck!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Yeah the low mileage is nice. I knew going into the purchase that I'd probably have to go through and refresh a lot of components my first year or two. Subframe bushings may be worth looking at next. I'm trying to hit the most dire things first, and shes slowly improving. The worst thing is that someone hit the car while street parked a couple weeks back so my rear bumper is cracked on the passenger corner and i have a dent in the quarter panel now

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Hmmm that is possible. I wonder if Poly ones add much vibration. If they do I'll prob just buy OEM. Luckily I work at a Benz dealer and if I email the BMW dealer parts lady from my work email she gives me a decent discount

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Thanks, I'm looking into doing those next because even if it isn't the clunk I want new ones. I tend to drive my car a lot. And BMW does still make the part I discovered, it just has to be shipped from Germany. The price really isn't bad either

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Does powerflex not make the diff mounts?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by ihm96 View Post
    Thanks, I'm looking into doing those next because even if it isn't the clunk I want new ones. I tend to drive my car a lot. And BMW does still make the part I discovered, it just has to be shipped from Germany. The price really isn't bad either
    Seen my thread I linked to above? OE ones are markedly higher quality from aftermarket Lemförder-branded (they were apparently identical as of 2016). I got mine from FCP for ~$145/pair with a lifetime warranty. BleedsBlue says he has a good source for OE parts as well.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    I ordered mine from the dealer coming from germany today so they'll be here in a few weeks and theyre only like 60 a pop

My Cars
    1998 750il, 1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by jmile46 View Post
    Does powerflex not make the diff mounts?
    They do - see the links below. 530s use the same as 540s, M5s etc.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/BMW-E39-...hing-Flat.html

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Powerfle...9-540i-M5.html