Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light pods wont go up

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308

Unhappy Light pods wont go up

Light pods will not go up. Headlights will come on, high beams will not come on, in down position. Checked #7 and #20 fuses they are ok. Replaced K39 relay...no joy. Wiggled all the wires...no joy. Pods worked on the SoCal 8's trip to Nethercutt museum and now they don't go up. Suggestions?

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Get a cordless screwdriver with a long bit, and operate them manually!

Seriously though. I believe the headlight relay is a similar color to some others, yet they are not drop in replacements. Make sure you used the correct one.

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Yeah, I thought about the manual thing, but it's just not right. I took the old relay in to the dealer. There are two green ones, one ends in 413 (wrong one) and one ends in 416 (right one)...still doesn't work.

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    There are 3 green ones and 413 controls the concealed headlights. There are also a bunch of fuses that control the head and fog lights - at least in my early 850! 8-)
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuffer View Post
    There are 3 green ones and 413 controls the concealed headlights. There are also a bunch of fuses that control the head and fog lights - at least in my early 850! 8-)
    Yup, all the lights work...pods don't go up. All fuses and relays checked. Ack!

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    I would start by checking if there is power at K39 (Pins 6 and 8) - and if OK there, check for voltage at the Fuses (7 and 20) when the lights are switched on.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Thanks. I have power at the pins on K39, Ill check power to the fuses tomorrow.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    I would start by checking if there is power at K39 (Pins 6 and 8) - and if OK there, check for voltage at the Fuses (7 and 20) when the lights are switched on.
    I checked the fuses and seem to have no power at the fuses. So far I have power at the K39 (installed a new relay) pods do not raise up, headlights will light up, high beams will not come on, high beams will not flash. Do you recommend I change the relays for k52 and k46? There is power at those locations. Could those relays have an effect on the pods? This is very frustrating.

My Cars
    93 850 Ci, 11 FX35,
    Is there a control module that regulates everything for the headlights that might be causing this?

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by 53helofe View Post
    Is there a control module that regulates everything for the headlights that might be causing this?
    The LKM controls the lights but I'm not sure its that. I wondered about it but usually (I think) when the LKM goes wonky the lighting system does weird and inconsistent things. This is pretty specific - pods wont go up, no high beams, no flash...everything else works normally.

My Cars
    1996 850ci
    Did you check power to the motors? I'd start there and go backwards until you find some power.

Oxford Green Metallic, Parchment leather, 854 badge, EDC stock struts, M-Sport springs, 3.91 LSD, CSI rear sway, 18" M-Pars, M-Sport wheel w/flappy paddles, CD-43 head unit, Strong Strut brace, Euro FTPs, CSI rear defuser
    Previous -
    '70 2002
    '92 525it e34 - Touring
    '97 530i e39
    '06 325xi e91 - Touring

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    Yup but it has to be something central or from a single location. If it was me, I'd spend a little more time in the Fuse/Relay Box area.

Quote Originally Posted by smc850ci View Post
    Did you check power to the motors? I'd start there and go backwards until you find some power.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by smc850ci View Post
    Yeah, I was just thinking of that. How do I get to a connection where I can make the motors pop up the pods. Do I jumper the connections in the K39 relay base to try to get them to pop up?

My Cars
    1996 850ci
    Or jump them from the + battery terminal next to the heater valves.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    The saga continues. All fuses ok. Pulled fuse, checked power to fuse #2 base (all headlights) - power ok. Installed new relays for concealing headlights (K39) and high beam flasher (K52), tested function - still don't work. Swapped K52 relay into K46 relay (same part number), tested function - don't work. When I turn on ignition switch; turn on headlight switch, pull headlight flash switch I do get the high beam indicator light, but no high beams. I cannot get a power reading on fuses #7 & #20, concealing headlight function. Low beam headlights will turn on, no power to high beams or flash circuit at connectors. At the headlight bulbs, I switched low beam connector to high beam light, energized switch and light bulb works. With ignition power on, headlight switch on, high beam lever (not flash) activated, VOM on connector to high beam circuit shows no power to this circuit. The low beam and high beam lights all work off the same ground, since the low beams work I'm assuming the ground is ok. Researching light switch diagram. I'm beginning to wonder if some part of the headlight switch has gone bad. I don't think it is the LKM. Wiring is like an archeological find...pretty brittle coatings, all exposed wiring now has tape (I need to buy an new harness, yuk). I need to find a common denominator that affects the high beam lights, high beam flash, and the concealing headlight operation.
    Last edited by tvjake2; 04-25-2013 at 08:36 PM.

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    Wiring is like an archeological find...
    Ain't just the wiring.
    My vote is either the headlight switch or a relay(?) between the switch and the rest of the Amazon jungle.

Steve

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    one hour later: I'm beginning to think it is the LKM.

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe you are having multiple issues. If it was just the switch and low beam getting power, shouldn't the pods pop?

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    Maybe you are having multiple issues. If it was just the switch and low beam getting power, shouldn't the pods pop?
    That could be. I need to get to the pod motors to test them for power and operation. The high beams, flash and pods are the only things that are not working. I'm trying to run down one connection that answers all and so far the LKM is the only thing that seems to be it. I shall go after the pods tomorrow...'sounds like a sci fi thriller.

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    I need that.

My Cars
    91 e31 92 e31

Still winky winky for me

I need that.
    At least yours is consistent. I still get right up stay up,then left up. Sometimes left won't go up. Often the right won't go down when I park the car.. What is that all about I changed the relay wiring looks ok. This LKM. Thing how do I look into that?

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydsss View Post
    At least yours is consistent. I still get right up stay up,then left up. Sometimes left won't go up. Often the right won't go down when I park the car.. What is that all about I changed the relay wiring looks ok. This LKM. Thing how do I look into that?
    The LKM is the Lighting Control Box. It manages a large portion of how the lights work although that is a bit of a mystery at this point. Some other better informed reader can fill in with that info. Your winky problem sounds like you need to start with replacing the K39 relay. See info here: Attachment 455773 My problem is still no winky, no blinky.

- - - Updated - - -

'Just finished testing the power at the wiring harnesses. I energized the lights (low/high/flash/pods). So far there is power at all four pins at the headlight connector (see pics), there is no power at any pins at the concealing headlight pod connector. Does anyone know if the pods need to pop up in order for the high beams to activate? The high beams work (switched connector from low beam to high and they came on). If the high beam bulbs are good the pod issue could explain why I cannot activate the high beams if the pods will not come up. If this is the case then the issue is only the pods activation.

Attachment 455830
    Attachment 455832

So far:
    All fuses good
    Power to all fuses
    Replaced K52 and K39
    Power to relay plates
    Low beams operational
    High beams not operational
    Flash high beams will not activate
    Pods will not activate

Any help is appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - Would a battery reset help in this instance? This is a 1997 840Ci and I think that year does not benefit from a reset?

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    Does anyone know if the pods need to pop up in order for the high beams to activate?
    I am pretty sure yes.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    I am pretty sure yes.

Yeah, I was wondering about this. I raised the pods manually and no high beam or flasher lights. It must have to do with electric activation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast