Thread: 325is

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325IS

325is

1990 325is. High mileage car. It runs very well and had its timing belt changed recently. However when the valves are adjusted to .25 mil which is what's in the manual the engine ticks. Or the valves do. Once readjusted to .20 it gets quiet but seems to have a little less power. The question I have is what's better for the engine in the long run? 0.25 and a noisier but better performing engine or the current .20 with a quieter engine.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    It's better to hear ticking. Better too loose than too tight. Too tight can burn valves as the valve may not be closing all the way It's hard to get an accurate adjustment on a worn engine due to the configuration of the rocker arm and top of the valve. Most 6cyl M20 engines that I have heard have some valve noise.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325IS
    The last time the valves were adjusted probably about 70000 miles ago it was done by BMW. They seemed to have preferred the quieter running engine at .20 adjustment. This was a number of years ago and it hasn't been touched since. You are suggesting it would be better for this engine if I adjusted the valves up to .25? The difference between the two noise levels was quite substantial.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    it just makes it sound like a diesel. most people will ask you if your car has a diesel engine in it but that's just the m20 engine. it makes noise but will run forever with timing belt changes.

you can buy new rocker arms and swap them out but it will start making noises again. that's just life with that type of lifter system.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325IS

325is timing belt change

Quote Originally Posted by aaverhulst View Post
    It's better to hear ticking. Better too loose than too tight. Too tight can burn valves as the valve may not be closing all the way It's hard to get an accurate adjustment on a worn engine due to the configuration of the rocker arm and top of the valve. Most 6cyl M20 engines that I have heard have some valve noise.
    Thanks. The timing belt was changed by BMW on this car not long ago. There is a swooshing kind of sound now that seems to come on the early stage of acceleration. Then it disappears around 2000 rpm. The car runs well otherwise. I do need to readjust the valves to 0.25 from the current 0.20. The mechanic or mechanics who changed the belt were probably younger than the car. They worked on it for at least 6 hours. The question I have is could they mess up a timing belt change? The old belt was actually in perfect shape after 8 years and about 40 thousand miles.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    you can put it a tooth off without causing the engine to go but if it starts fine and runs fine then its right. 6 hours is right for someone who has not done one before and is following the book. if you are an m20 guy then you can do the belt faster but six hours is not bad. I have read people taking two days.

the belts can look beautiful and be super duper old. I would be scared to drive on one though because I have had a timing belt break. the sound is something you will never forget. ours was at idle in the driveway when it broke. it sounded like someone crunching soda cans. broke 3 or 4 rocker arms, bent a bunch of valves, scarred up a few pistons, and required the head to be replaced. all over a dang 20 to 30 dollar part.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325IS

325is valve adjust

Quote Originally Posted by aaverhulst View Post
    So basically, I should readjust the valves to 0.25? They are at 0.20 right now. The car runs fine but a little sluggish. No ticking though. The last time I adjusted them to 0.25 there was a lot of valve noise at idle. So it's at 0.20 now and it's quiet. I'm not sure how this affects gas mileage and stuff but if you say it's better to adjust it to the BM recommended 0.25 with the noise attached I will do it. Thanks.