Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importing a 530i M-Sport from Canada to US?

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport

Importing a 530i M-Sport from Canada to US?

Hi all. I’m hoping to pick up an E39 for my next car.

I am aware that Canada got the full m-sport pack (m-pars, m5 style front and rear bumpers etc) as an option on the e39 530i. I live on the east coast of the US and I’ve been browsing Canadian ads, wondering about what would be involved in purchasing a Canadian spec car and bringing it down here.

Has anyone here done this? Since the base 530i was sold in the US, is it just a simple case of swapping the cluster from Kph to Mph to meet US DOT requirements?

Any more general thoughts on the 530 v 540 ownership experience would also be appreciated. I’d love a v8 but worry about the additional associated costs.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

To start you off with some riveting bedtime reading;

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car
    https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-imp...canada-3308369
    https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-fo...uni-1682067632
    https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...e-from-canada/

Overall, I'd say it isn't really going to be worth it unless the example you find in Canada is seriously low mileage, been absolutely fantastically maintained, is absolutely spotless inside and the exterior is close to factory fresh. You could easily find a US spec car and add on the bumpers and pick up the wheels to fit, which is what 99.99% of USA E39 owners will do.

There's literally thousands of threads on this forum and all the other USA ones about the differences and running costs etc between a 530i and a 540i, so more bedtime reading for you

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    z3
    This is easy with Z3's because Z3's were built in the US and having a "built in US" VIN makes importing them very easy

German built cars destined for a foreign market (even just Canada) adds a lot of complication. You might not have to worry about crash test certification but the rest of the stuff is hard to do

All cars are freely elgible for import after 25 years. For an 02 thats only 9 more years

And 530 > 540 all day

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    My 540 is a 2001 Canadian true MSport 540, don’t know how it got into the country, I bought it off of a local used car dealer out here in Arlington. When I got it, I actually thought the PO had added all the goods to make it like an ‘03 US MSport. Was surprised when I ran the vin number on a vin decoder site.car came with everything, including the style 65’s.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    [QUOTE= I’d love a v8 but worry about the additional associated costs.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The I6 and V8 each have their own foibles. Repair cost differences are not very much. Perhaps the biggest expense is new chains and guides on the V8, at maybe 150k miles. Check with your state DMV about registering a Canadian car.
    Last edited by edjack; 10-11-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Get a letter of conformity from BMW NA, fill out some paperwork and you're good to go. If you drive it across, duties and whatnot are entirely at the whim of the agent you deal with though. The feds didn't even look at the 540 so I never bothered to swap out the cluster (but I brought one with me just in case). The California DMV guy was mostly looking for the emissions sticker and, in California at least, the registration has a box you can check for metric odometers so I still have the metric cluster installed in the car.

By the 2000s Canadian and US safety specs were harmonized (on and off again I think), but most (if not all) Canadian market BMWs are built to American specs. One problem you could run into is that Canada allows all sorts of things to be imported that aren't eligible to be imported into the US. Importing a non-Canadian market car to the US is a more difficult process. With an E39 if you've got the maple leaf safety sticker NHTSA will be happy and the smog sticker will almost certainly say "49 State + California" which means the EPA and most states will be happy as well. If the car has both of those stickers (a.k.a. it's a Canadian market car) BMW NA should be able to cough up a letter of conformity for you that'll satiate the feds and list the things that you're supposed to replace (e.g. speedo). Some manufacturers are more willing to supply certificates than others and some may want money. In my case with a phone call or two BMW sent me a letter of conformity after a couple weeks at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    This is easy with Z3's because Z3's were built in the US and having a "built in US" VIN makes importing them very easy. German built cars destined for a foreign market (even just Canada) adds a lot of complication.
    That's not true at all.
    Last edited by blarf; 10-12-2018 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Just get an '03 540i M-Sport from the U.S. Then you have everything you want including the V8. It is debatable whether the 530 M54 has a lower cost of ownership than the M62. I have had and have them both. Besides the VANOS and timing chain guides failures on the M62, everything else is equally susceptible between the two. At least I can't think of anything else. Coolant system, suspension, etc. same failures.

So, a well maintained 2003 540i M-Tech with at or just under 100k miles might be work the risk. Change the oil regularly and do maintenance. There are cars out there with over 200k miles and the timing chain guides have not failed. I hope this is me someday. All this said, put aside $3-4 grand to have someone do it when or if they fail. That is my plan.
    2018 M550ix|Carbon Black Dinan Stage 1|2003 540i|Jet Black|M-Sport
    Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2001 530i|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li|2001 530i|2012 535xi|

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Thanks all for the very informative and helpful replies. Lots more reading for me to do so thanks for the recommendations.

I was leaning toward the 530 for the slightly lower running costs and also because I had heard that the rack and pinion steering on the six cylinders was actually better than the recirculating ball on the V8s (though I'm not sure how much store to set by those assessments).

If I go for a US 530 and wanted to put M-Sport bumpers on it, isn't that going to cost lots of $$$ between parts, paint and labor?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    One major item is RUST! Any US or Canadian eastern car (the newest is 15 yrs old) will have rust problems. The rocker panels of DDs have been known to collapse over a floor jack.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by cpf9 View Post
    Thanks all for the very informative and helpful replies. Lots more reading for me to do so thanks for the recommendations.

I was leaning toward the 530 for the slightly lower running costs and also because I had heard that the rack and pinion steering on the six cylinders was actually better than the recirculating ball on the V8s (though I'm not sure how much store to set by those assessments).

If I go for a US 530 and wanted to put M-Sport bumpers on it, isn't that going to cost lots of $$$ between parts, paint and labor?
    Not true on the rack and pinion steering. Be careful who you hear things from. I’ve seen that thread or person who is passionate about the steering being over the top better on the 530 and below.

Drive a 2003 true m-tech 540 and witness the go kart like tight steering.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2001 530i|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li|2001 530i|2012 535xi|

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    Get a letter of conformity from BMW NA, fill out some paperwork and you're good to go. If you drive it across, duties and whatnot are entirely at the whim of the agent you deal with though. The feds didn't even look at the 540 so I never bothered to swap out the cluster (but I brought one with me just in case). The California DMV guy was mostly looking for the emissions sticker and, in California at least, the registration has a box you can check for metric odometers so I still have the metric cluster installed in the car.

By the 2000s Canadian and US safety specs were harmonized (on and off again I think), but most (if not all) Canadian market BMWs are built to American specs. One problem you could run into is that Canada allows all sorts of things to be imported that aren't eligible to be imported into the US. Importing a non-Canadian market car to the US is a more difficult process. With an E39 if you've got the maple leaf safety sticker NHTSA will be happy and the smog sticker will almost certainly say "49 State + California" which means the EPA and most states will be happy as well. If the car has both of those stickers (a.k.a. it's a Canadian market car) BMW NA should be able to cough up a letter of conformity for you that'll satiate the feds and list the things that you're supposed to replace (e.g. speedo). Some manufacturers are more willing to supply certificates than others and some may want money. In my case with a phone call or two BMW sent me a letter of conformity after a couple weeks at no charge.

That's not true at all.
    ^^^^ This is all the right stuff.

A Canadian car isn't that big a deal because they indeed harmonized so really the cars are "North American" spec, not USA spec. The last notable thing I can remember was that Canada was off of the OBDII requirement by a year or something so 1996 Canadian cars might not have OBDII yet? SOmething like that (too lazy not enough coffee yet to google it). Anyway, it is ZERO big deal. Yes the only thing on a car that late that is required to swap should be the speedo... (Canada gets screwed and has to use the same crappy DOT headlights that we do, the poor saps...)

Some of the process will vary by state - my state would require a LEO to come and see the car in person to confirm the VIN for instance. You can pick your cop - state/local/whatever - but you have to have them come and sign a form after looking at the actual VIN. My understanding is that border states see this crap all the time and barely wake up over it but inland states that hardly ever see them might take a bit of "WAIIIT A MINUTE I GOTTA GO CHECK WITH JANICE, I AIN'T NEVER SEEN NONE OF THESE CANADA CAR THINGS...," when doing your paper at the DMV...

But in the end... shouldn't be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe///540i View Post
    Not true on the rack and pinion steering. Be careful who you hear things from. I’ve seen that thread or person who is passionate about the steering being over the top better on the 530 and below.

Drive a 2003 true m-tech 540 and witness the go kart like tight steering.
    Yes, and no.

Yes the reports of ZOMGSOAMAZING!!!!!! for the R&P vs recircballz are vastly exaggerated. Vastly. So, yes. To that.

But... lets not get all stupid fanboi for the 540 either... NO a "true m-tech 540" is not "go kart like tight steering". That's laughable. Every 540 M-sport still has the long-ratio steering box. Same exact turns as a base 540 would have. Only the M5 gets the faster box from the factory. Period. All the M package gets is different shocks and springs. So, the handling might feel a little better cuz that, but its exact same ratio and same feedback characteristics as the a stripper 540, whatever handling advantages are there can/are easily replicated or bettered with aftermarket shocks/springs.

And honestly NO E39 is really "go kart steering". A good V8 E39 handles great, but... pales in comparison to my M3. That's much closer to go-kart razor handling for you.

But hey I get it...everybody has to pull out the hyperbole and cliches and you're supposed to say "go-kart handling!" any time you get excited that your car is fun to drive...
    Last edited by geargrinder; 10-13-2018 at 09:07 AM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    ^^^^ This is all the right stuff.

A Canadian car isn't that big a deal because they indeed harmonized so really the cars are "North American" spec, not USA spec. The last notable thing I can remember was that Canada was off of the OBDII requirement by a year or something so 1996 Canadian cars might not have OBDII yet? SOmething like that (too lazy not enough coffee yet to google it). Anyway, it is ZERO big deal. Yes the only thing on a car that late that is required to swap should be the speedo... (Canada gets screwed and has to use the same crappy DOT headlights that we do, the poor saps...)

Some of the process will vary by state - my state would require a LEO to come and see the car in person to confirm the VIN for instance. You can pick your cop - state/local/whatever - but you have to have them come and sign a form after looking at the actual VIN. My understanding is that border states see this crap all the time and barely wake up over it but inland states that hardly ever see them might take a bit of "WAIIIT A MINUTE I GOTTA GO CHECK WITH JANICE, I AIN'T NEVER SEEN NONE OF THESE CANADA CAR THINGS...," when doing your paper at the DMV...

But in the end... shouldn't be a big deal.

Yes, and no.

Yes the reports of ZOMGSOAMAZING!!!!!! for the R&P vs recircballz are vastly exaggerated. Vastly. So, yes. To that.

But... lets not get all stupid fanboi for the 540 either... NO a "true m-tech 540" is not "go kart like tight steering". That's laughable. Every 540 M-sport still has the long-ratio steering box. Same exact turns as a base 540 would have. Only the M5 gets the faster box from the factory. Period. All the M package gets is different shocks and springs. So, the handling might feel a little better cuz that, but its exact same ratio and same feedback characteristics as the a stripper 540, whatever handling advantages are there can/are easily replicated or bettered with aftermarket shocks/springs.

And honestly NO E39 is really "go kart steering". A good V8 E39 handles great, but... pales in comparison to my M3. That's much closer to go-kart razor handling for you.

But hey I get it...everybody has to pull out the hyperbole and cliches and you're supposed to say "go-kart handling!" any time you get excited that your car is fun to drive...
    Fair enough. I’m not going to comment on some of your rant because I really don’t care that much. The OP is looking to jump through hoops to get a Canadian 530 M-Sport because it has the M bumper etc. He made a comment about “hearing that the R&P is better on the 530i”. I’ve had both. They are different experiences. The steering on the 2003 540 M is so tight if feels like there is no power steering. The 530 is softer and arguably more comfortable to drive. But OP sounded like he was somewhat of a newbie and I just don’t think the differences in the R&P are remarkable to the point where I wouldn’t get a 540.

Yeah, go-kart was an analogy and taken literally it’s certainly over the top.

All this said, the E39 isn’t even close to on par with even the base new 3-series. If you are looking to drive these cars around hard cornering it ain’t gonna be rewarding. They sway like hell even with all new suspension. It’s a nice car to drive.

My F10 535ix handles 1000 times better. Fanboy? Yup. If I was in the market (and I was) there is a lot to offer when going with a 2003 vs earlier MYs, especially in terms of the audio components and then being easily upgradable with other modules. But, yeah, I don’t really care to argue the point. It’s 15+ year old car. It is what it is and it fun to have and drive. They all are. Very happy with my big M62 and 2003 decision.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Yeah I am kind of new around here. I am much more active over at Benzworld (I daily a W126) but posted a little on here a couple of years ago when I had an E34. I really miss it and that’s why I’m looking to get back into a BMW. I was even thinking of getting another e34 and test drove a slightly modded, manual 535i the other day - always liked the big M30 motor.

But I decided an e39 might be a wiser choice for a daily (and easier to get by my wife who is pretty insistent on us getting a car with modern safety features).

I also used to write for German cars for sale blog and I think it was when I was doing research on a post for 540 that I read about the debate over steering feel between the V8 and sixes.

I like the M-sport look and figured that if it wasn’t too hard to bring a 530 from Canada I’d consider it. I can’t do bodywork myself and figured I’d have to spend a few grand to put those bumpers on a us 530. So why not get a factory spec example if all id have to do is pay import dues and swap the gauge cluster to mph.

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Yeah I am kind of new around here. I am much more active over at Benzworld (I daily a W126) but posted a little on here a couple of years ago when I had an E34. I really miss it and that’s why I’m looking to get back into a BMW. I was even thinking of getting another e34 and test drove a slightly modded, manual 535i the other day - always liked the big M30 motor.

But I decided an e39 might be a wiser choice for a daily (and easier to get by my wife who is pretty insistent on us getting a car with modern safety features).

I also used to write for German cars for sale blog and I think it was when I was doing research on a post for 540 that I read about the debate over steering feel between the V8 and sixes.

I like the M-sport look and figured that if it wasn’t too hard to bring a 530 from Canada I’d consider it. I can’t do bodywork myself and figured I’d have to spend a few grand to put those bumpers on a us 530. So why not get a factory spec example if all id have to do is pay import dues and swap the gauge cluster to mph.

Completely understand, I’m also the kind of enthusiast who would never even consider changing bumpers and painting them. Good luck, do your homework and don’t settle. Find the car that meets your requirements. Plenty of cars out there.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Fair enough. I’m not going to comment on some of your rant because I really don’t care that much.
    LOL. "Rant"? If you think that's a rant, you live a sheltered innerwebz life my friend...

He made a comment about “hearing that the R&P is better on the 530i”. I’ve had both.
    Well sounds like you're arguing with me agreeing with you there. Like I said I agree w/ you its overrated. And I've driven 'em back to back multiple times. Mostly the "ZOMG-R&P!!!!!" crowd are I6 fanboiz who haven't EVER driven a 540i and are just regurgitating immberwebz garbage they read and wanting to self-validate that their car is super special.

BTW I love 530's. I think they are great, so nobody should get me wrong there.

All this said, the E39 isn’t even close to on par with even the base new 3-series. If you are looking to drive these cars around hard cornering it ain’t gonna be rewarding. They sway like hell even with all new suspension. It’s a nice car to drive.
    Yep. All that I'd agree w... OK I haven't driven a new 3er aside from the M3 which isn't a fair comparo, but I can tell you even a gen back - the E90 even somewhat embarrasses older cars... now sure there's lots of other things that might be pro/con about the older vs newer car - styling, interior, road feedback, etc. - that might have somebody still loving the old ones, but a base E90 handles ridiculously flat around the corner, even with no sport parts... in a way the E39 would require loads of aftermarket parts to approach.

when going with a 2003 vs earlier MYs, especially in terms of the audio components and then being easily upgradable with other modules
    See just when you got me all agreein' w/ yo... There's nothing special about 2003 audio components and upgradeability... not sure what you mean there...

That, and some people would just like the idea of having something different and 'normally unattainable', like a factory M-sport 530 that you can't get here... I think its a cool idea... not worth paying out the nose but if you find a good one w/ no rust at a fair price - cool idea...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport

LOL. "Rant"? If you think that's a rant, you live a sheltered innerwebz life my friend...

Well sounds like you're arguing with me agreeing with you there. Like I said I agree w/ you its overrated. And I've driven 'em back to back multiple times. Mostly the "ZOMG-R&P!!!!!" crowd are I6 fanboiz who haven't EVER driven a 540i and are just regurgitating immberwebz garbage they read and wanting to self-validate that their car is super special.

BTW I love 530's. I think they are great, so nobody should get me wrong there.

Yep. All that I'd agree w... OK I haven't driven a new 3er aside from the M3 which isn't a fair comparo, but I can tell you even a gen back - the E90 even somewhat embarrasses older cars... now sure there's lots of other things that might be pro/con about the older vs newer car - styling, interior, road feedback, etc. - that might have somebody still loving the old ones, but a base E90 handles ridiculously flat around the corner, even with no sport parts... in a way the E39 would require loads of aftermarket parts to approach.

See just when you got me all agreein' w/ yo... There's nothing special about 2003 audio components and upgradeability... not sure what you mean there...

That, and some people would just like the idea of having something different and 'normally unattainable', like a factory M-sport 530 that you can't get here... I think its a cool idea... not worth paying out the nose but if you find a good one w/ no rust at a fair price - cool idea...
    It’s all good my friend maybe I misunderstood you. Seemed like you were being aggressive and calling me a “fanboi “. Maybe I read it wrong.

Let’s chill. You clearly know more than me. Glad we are in agreement. Full disclosure, I didn’t read all your replies to my quotes. I don’t have the time but I will. I’ll give you the benefit of doubt you aren’t coming at me. I stopped reading after the first.

My girlfriend writes really long texts, I can’t deal with it.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    No no I was just sayin' 'lets not go overboard' and making a back-ref to where I was ACTUALLY calling the ZOMG-R&P crowd fanboiz. Them I AM calling fanboiz.

PS - how do you know I'm NOT your GF!?

PPS - fork twitter for making everybody TL;DR about everything.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    No no I was just sayin' 'lets not go overboard' and making a back-ref to where I was ACTUALLY calling the ZOMG-R&P crowd fanboiz. Them I AM calling fanboiz.

PS - how do you know I'm NOT your GF!?

PPS - fork twitter for making everybody TL;DR about everything.

Sorry about that!! I totally misread your remarks! I will read everything though again later when I have my readers on and I’m not at a soccer game in the rain clearly not paying attention to the kids!

My Cars
    z3
    Guess I'm a dumb fanboi because I vastly prefer the tight, direct feel of the I6 R&P box over the numb, detached feeling of the steering boxes. That is just my personal opinion but I definitely understand why others would also seek out the steering rack as well. Not to mention the 530i is about 300lbs lighter than a 540i, that coupled with the suspension differences (same basic system, slightly different geometry) makes the 530i feel much lighter on it's feet and more agile than the 540i.

I sought out an I6 E39 in particular because that is what I wanted. OP should drive the different variations and determine what he likes best because the cars do feel very different from one another. I really, really do not like the steering box system at all. If the E39 M5 had a steering rack, I'd have never sold the one I had years ago. It is a huge deal to do some people. Some people may not notice, sure. But others do - so I'd advise OP to drive both before making a decision not just proclaim there isn't a difference and that the 540 is the best and he should get a 540.

Not everyone likes 540i's. I prefer 530i's. I'd probably prefer a 530d if they offered them here... (more torque than the S62 with cheap, readily available mods? Can I sign up twice?)

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I like steering boxes more than racks... I’ve driven Graham’s 525it and several 530i’s but I keep coming back to my 540it and it feels way better. Something about the box is nice, it’s not overly sensitive or twitchy which makes for a great daily driver and road trip car. The E36 M3 (the only rack car I drive semi-regularly) requires a lot more input to drive, especially on the highway. The E34’s steering box feels great as well.

Just drive both back to back if you can, and make your own decisions. Otherwise you’re just listening to people fanboy over their own preferences here.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport

I’ll say this. Conventional minds say go with the bulletproof straight six that BMW is known for. It’s a rock of an engine. Quick and durable.

Being a longtime BMW owner and enthusiast, there’s something about on the back of your car reads:

740il vs 750il
    525,28,30 vs 540
    740li vs 750li vs 760

That makes me take the risk. I definitely know I should have gotten a 530 but I would have wished I had a 540. I wished before so this time around I went for the 540 and STILL regret not getting an M5, so I most likely will in the next year. That’s me. Unconventional.

Last edited by Joe///540i; 10-13-2018 at 06:09 PM.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Oh dear, I didn't mean to start an argument!

I agree wholeheartedly with those who suggest I should drive both the 530 and 540 to see which one I prefer. Since I have driven neither, my thinking at the moment has been guided by only what I've read online.

I had been leaning toward the 530 because of the better gas mileage, potentially lower repair costs (though that seems debatable), and a nostalgia/love for BMW's old school, naturally aspirated six cylinder engines. We've had several in the family over the years - two E36s, an E46 and an E34 - but not an E39. On the other hand, I do lust after a 540 and worry I will wish I had picked the V8 if I go the 530 route. I've seen the comment "85% of an M5" thrown around a lot about the 540. That might be hyperbole, but I suspect there's some truth to it.

I'm originally from the UK. I seem to recall that back home, any E39 could be specced with the M-Sport aero kit from the factory, not just the '03 540. Shame the US didn't have the same option.

My Cars
    z3
    The 530 is cheaper to maintain (and insure). While a lot of the common failures are shared among the 530 and the 540 (valve cover gaskets, cooling system, etc) these failures cost more to repair on the 540. Two set of valve cover gaskets instead of one, cooling system components that are more expensive, staggered tires that are more expensive and can't be rotated, etc. Little things that add up and thats ignoring the potential few thousand$$$ timing chain guide repair on the 540.
    Fact is if you can afford to maintain a 530 you can probably afford to maintain a 540, but if part of your consideration is running cost - the 530 definitely bests the 540. Just spit balling I would expect to run a 530 for about 2/3 to 3/4 the cost of a 540

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The 530 is cheaper to maintain (and insure). While a lot of the common failures are shared among the 530 and the 540 (valve cover gaskets, cooling system, etc) these failures cost more to repair on the 540. Two set of valve cover gaskets instead of one, cooling system components that are more expensive, staggered tires that are more expensive and can't be rotated, etc. Little things that add up and thats ignoring the potential few thousand$$$ timing chain guide repair on the 540.
    Fact is if you can afford to maintain a 530 you can probably afford to maintain a 540, but if part of your consideration is running cost - the 530 definitely bests the 540. Just spit balling I would expect to run a 530 for about 2/3 to 3/4 the cost of a 540
    You make some great points. No doubt the 540 cost of ownership is higher. I guess it depends on what you want and can afford. You are right, any E39 is expensive, it’s a matter of how much your willing to give up to mitigate the risk. For me, the staggered wheels are a must not a burden. The car just has such a better posture than non staggered cars. The tires wear quickly and are more expensive but it’s a price you pay for what I call something I would have wished I had if I didn’t when I saw one. I have had so much buyers remorse over the years that I can self reflect when buying and know that I will spend more money trying to make my car look like a 540 sport so I just get one.

In terms of the other things you mentioned, I’m not sure the cooling system/radiator is any more expensive on a 540. Maybe a couple bucks? Minimal though. In terms of valve cover gaskets. It’s probably the least of my worries. They leak, it’s a poor design and the replacement will leak. They don’t leak to the point where there is oil on the ground or I have to add oil. The timing chain guides are easily the only thing to really consider as it’s going to coast $3-4 grand IF they go. Gas mileage isn’t discernible IMO. I get 17mpg. What the 530 get, 19mpg?

Anyhow, I mean this all with “take it for what it’s worth”. I am definitely a fanboy of my car and only have my perspective to offer. Driving it and looking at it makes me happy. The only remorse I have is not getting a six speed and not getting an M5. I’m not looking to defend or debate.

The OP seems very grounded. I think he should get a 530 sport without the M bumper.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I have both i6’s and V8’s, I pretty much spend the same amount of money and time on both versions. So the V8 burns more gas, but it also puts a bigger smile on my mug, but I love them all, i6 or V8. Picking up a 525 wagon tomorrow, and another green 528 wagon about a week from now. Choose your favor, I guess I’m a junkie.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast