Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update, M62TU bored and honed + Jaguar supercharger

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra

Update, M62TU bored and honed + Jaguar supercharger

It's been almost 1 1/2 yrs since I started this project, and so far it's still working great, no oil burning or significant loss, I've only put about 5000 hard miles on it, here's the original build thread https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rcharger-build

I bought a few things recently
    IMG_1164.JPGIMG_1165.JPGIMG_1166.JPGIMG_1167.JPG

and because I bought too much paint I painted these.
    IMG_1168.JPG

Out of the pictures I also converted to m5 mirrors, It's been an expensive month, I might even get to a dyno someday, it's beer time now
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

My Cars
    99 540i
    Is there anyone selling a complete kit yet, I was hoping Toolman would have put something together. I can get the supercharger, just need the rest of the parts.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Glad to hear it's still running strong! Cool and unique build.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Bimmer540 View Post
    Is there anyone selling a complete kit yet, I was hoping Toolman would have put something together. I can get the supercharger, just need the rest of the parts.

I don't think a complete kit will ever be for sale, toolman's kit is the closest
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 540i m View Post
    I don't think a complete kit will ever be for sale, toolman's kit is the closest
    Bite your tongue. I'm working on a tune to go with a complete kit.

My Cars
    99 540i
    That would be nice for my N64 engine swap with only 102k on it. Be nice to do the Jaguar supercharged kit on it

My Cars
    z3
    That's awesome - ever get it dynoed? Just read through the whole previous thread. What was the issue with the coils?

Where would one go if one wanted to buy toolman's kit?

My Cars
    99 540i
    She needs some boost. Lol

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    We are patiently waiting, as soon as I see a mechanically functional prototype, and a closing hood, I'll buy!

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    That's awesome - ever get it dynoed? Just read through the whole previous thread. What was the issue with the coils?

Where would one go if one wanted to buy toolman's kit?
    I have not dynoed mine, someone dynoed theirs and it was around 390 horses-440 torque

My 1 failed coil I think was a combination of age, factory spark gap, and heavy use, I reduced the spark gap, bought new coils and continue with heavy use,

Toolmans email is here post 136 https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-install/page6

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Nice.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    Thanks for ringing in - Ho'man! This reminds me to update your Deadpool entry, was about due for a re-grade...

Current status is:

blah blah blah year after year, lots of talk, no pictures, no witnesses...

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    More helpful bummerforums comments.
    This reminds me of why I have backed away from posting.
    But I have posted a picture of the hood closed, and with no tune, no run.
    Who would be a credible witness? It can be arranged.

My Cars
    z3
    Wasnt going to say anything but since gg brought it up...
    From the guy who didnt know INPA could run an aux fan without A/C, we bring you an engine tune for a custom supercharger kit!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    It's been almost 1 1/2 yrs since I started this project, and so far it's still working great, no oil burning or significant loss, I've only put about 5000 hard miles on it, here's the original build thread
    . . .
    Out of the pictures I also converted to m5 mirrors, It's been an expensive month, I might even get to a dyno someday, it's beer time now
    All looking and sounding great! Would you mind summarizing what you did to this block as far as boring and honing it, matching pistons and rings to it, breaking in, and what your experience with it is so far (oil use, power, etc.?)? I think that the boring and honing of your block is what makes you a trailblazer on this one!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Hey Ho-Man - I love yo bro and honestly I give you a lot of cred based on your posts here... but - you do tend to act like you've shown us you've done a whole lot, but you do NOT really post any pix or anything in detail whatsoever... I was mainly in-good-fun ball-busting you hoping you'd show me up with teh sexorz pix of something but... since you've mentioned it... it is true, you keep talking for years and years now and in fact you've just admitted you still don't have a running car.

Obviously you aren't in the toolbagbraggart category of a bunch of the Deadpoolers, but don't act like you've shown us so much and done so much and that it is such a terrible injustice for somebody to mention openly that you've not shown something... I gave you Deadpool benefit of the doubt for years honestly when anybody else I'd say "meh...all talk, zero pictures, zero evidence..."

You don't even give us verbal details really you just drop in every few months and allude that some great progress on some wunderful design is being made from time to time.. Why not show some pix of parts or motors or anything at all really?

Or hell, give us a 2-3 paragraph writeup of whats happening and what kind of stuff you're working on? But no you want to drop mysterious hints that big unnamed wonderful things are occurring - for years now - and if we just hang in there we will all see how great it is... and then get your labia bruised when somebody says "eerrrm really? like what is actually happening?" You just gotta realize as far as we are concerned, we can't see anything happening at all...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    So you working on an ME7.2 tune there wagho? If so, what kind of approach are you liking for that process, and what fuel are you designing the tune for? My drive out west in my 540 opened my eyes to the scarcity of good fuel across the country..

Spill some details of what you're up to man. If not to satisfy the deadpool scrutiny you declared you were up for, then just to allow us to play along with you on the conceptual process of imagining it or seeing it come together. The minimal amount of pics and info you have shared have been pretty cool.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    My apologies to 1999 540i m.
    This is his thread about the mods he is adding to his car.
    I am most approving of the update to non tu exhaust. Should add some to the package, especially with more exhaust flow mods.
    If you would like to comment, criticize me for any perceived action, please do it directly on one of my threads.
    My comment to him was because as a multi car owner, and a true enthusiast, he might like to know

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Pretty sure the PO doesn't care too much if we off-track his thread a bit as we all do to each other all of the time, but whatever. Maybe wet our tastebuds with some details of your progress in one of your own threads if you prefer.

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    All looking and sounding great! Would you mind summarizing what you did to this block as far as boring and honing it, matching pistons and rings to it, breaking in, and what your experience with it is so far (oil use, power, etc.?)? I think that the boring and honing of your block is what makes you a trailblazer on this one!

In summary, engine was bored and bottle brushed by normal machine shop, they knew nothing about alusil, I rehoned with an-30 paste polishing out the bottle brush marks,

The 93mm pistons came with it, unknown manufacturer, The oversized m62tu rings came from Grant piston rings.

The break in procedure I used is here http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I've seen very little oil usage, and no smoke, The power is great, but I want more boost! 9 psi is not enough

Did you miss the black box in the picture?

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Pretty sure the PO doesn't care too much if we off-track his thread a bit as we all do to each other all of the time, but whatever. Maybe wet our tastebuds with some details of your progress in one of your own threads if you prefer.
    +1000

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    In summary, engine was bored and bottle brushed by normal machine shop, they knew nothing about alusil, I rehoned with an-30 paste polishing out the bottle brush marks,

The 93mm pistons came with it, unknown manufacturer, The oversized m62tu rings came from Grant piston rings.

The break in procedure I used is here http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I've seen very little oil usage, and no smoke, The power is great, but I want more boost! 9 psi is not enough

Did you miss the black box in the picture?
    This is FANTASTIC INFORMATION!! Thank you!

To know that a normal bore and hone can be used, followed by only the additional Sunnen AN-30 paste hone process (on felt honing blocks, or with a conventional hone wrapped with microfiber or fleece or something?) is excellent. And of course, to know that the Grant rings worked out well is extremely useful too.

Regarding the mototune break-in process, that has always been my favorite also, and has always worked out perfectly for me. Great to know it also works fine for the slightly different properties of the alusil cylinder surface.

I did not miss that little black box, that is the jewel in the whole pile of treasure!

Regarding that, can you refresh my memory as to whether you are running this engine with VANOS or not, and whether I sent you a tune a while ago? If I did, I developed a really good tune later without the cam sensor that I like a LOT, and I could send you.

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Regarding that, can you refresh my memory as to whether you are running this engine with VANOS or not, and whether I sent you a tune a while ago? If I did, I developed a really good tune later without the cam sensor that I like a LOT, and I could send you.
    It is a VANOS engine, It was not me you sent a tune to, I'll be using the ms3x for fuel only, I can't figure out another way without ditching the dme 7.2, I plan to install it in the next few weeks, lots of fun coming up!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Well, there are a lot of options, and though you're in somewhat uncharted waters as far as I know, I think there will be a lot of carryover. It's quite possible that the only way to really find out what is possible is to just start systematically transferring functions over to the MS3X until the DME really gets pissed and stops moving the throttle plate or something. Fueling is definitely the easiest thing to transfer over to have handled by the MS3X for sure

There is no problem sharing the crank signal if you have a similar crank sensor to the one in the M62b44, and you can disregard the cam signal. Since you probably don't have TPS on there, you are kind of stuck using MAPdot for accel enrichment, but that should work fine on a supercharged setup. It is a bit of a bummer that you won't be able to control idle speed, but that probably isn't a huge deal.

What you cannot share is a water or intake air temp sensor voltage, so you will need to install your own redundant set for the MS3 if you want to keep the DME.

Once you get to where you want to take over spark advance, you will be getting into a bit of a sticky situation since you will need coil ignitor circuits, or switch so something like Audi R8 coils or something. But it's possible that the DME would just keep on doing everything you want it to do, even if you give control of the fuel and spark to it.

It's a very interesting project for sure! And as much as I sort of hate to say it, I might think that for a S/C ME7.2 application, something like BimTune might be what I would investigate before swapping to a standalone. I dunno. I'd have to pick geargrinder's brain about that.

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Well, there are a lot of options, and though you're in somewhat uncharted waters as far as I know, I think there will be a lot of carryover. It's quite possible that the only way to really find out what is possible is to just start systematically transferring functions over to the MS3X until the DME really gets pissed and stops moving the throttle plate or something. Fueling is definitely the easiest thing to transfer over to have handled by the MS3X for sure

There is no problem sharing the crank signal if you have a similar crank sensor to the one in the M62b44, and you can disregard the cam signal. Since you probably don't have TPS on there, you are kind of stuck using MAPdot for accel enrichment, but that should work fine on a supercharged setup. It is a bit of a bummer that you won't be able to control idle speed, but that probably isn't a huge deal.

What you cannot share is a water or intake air temp sensor voltage, so you will need to install your own redundant set for the MS3 if you want to keep the DME.

Once you get to where you want to take over spark advance, you will be getting into a bit of a sticky situation since you will need coil ignitor circuits, or switch so something like Audi R8 coils or something. But it's possible that the DME would just keep on doing everything you want it to do, even if you give control of the fuel and spark to it.

It's a very interesting project for sure! And as much as I sort of hate to say it, I might think that for a S/C ME7.2 application, something like BimTune might be what I would investigate before swapping to a standalone. I dunno. I'd have to pick geargrinder's brain about that.
    Good information here, I will have more questions for you soon, Thanks

Today I'm installing my headers, I found something interesting.
    IMG_1169.JPGIMG_1170.JPGIMG_1172.JPGIMG_1173.JPGIMG_1175.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast