Thread: '97 e31 seat backrest trim removal

My Cars
    BMWs:74 3.0 CS, 97 840Ci

'97 e31 seat backrest trim removal

I want to remove the trim pieces on the outer top portion of my '97 840Ci front seat backrests. I've studied Frankies website procedure, and it appears there was a change in the way these are connected between the production of his car and my '97. He shows two small 'holes' where a sharp tool contacts a restraining point, then using a sharp screwdriver to separate the upper rear from the upper front piece. I have no opening for the sharp tool in my trim piece.

Searches have not brought up any other procedure posts, so I need some help. How are those two pieces separated so the upper rear piece can be removed? (also any tips for removing the upper/outer front trim piece appreciated if you've done this).

He also advised to remove the headrest - is that necessary? I can't seem to get my headrest to come off when I rotate it to the full forward position then pull toward the center. Any suggestions there??

Thanks for your help. Couldn't maintain/improve this vehicle without help from you gurus!

Gary Knox
    Last edited by Gary Knox; 10-08-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '07 Mini Cooper S hatchback
    '09 Aston Martin DB9 Volante
    '13 Audi A8
    '90 MB 560 SEC and '94 Porsche 928 GTS recently departed but long enjoyed
    50 or so others over the past 70 years of driving

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I don't know about the hole, but I had to pull really hard to get the headrest to come off.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    I did it on 6 sets of seats.
    Yep the head rest needs to come off first. The head rest needs to be wiggled (up and down slightly) as you pull hard while it is in the froward position.
    Yep small 1/16" hole on the side of the trim. You can use a small allen wrench.
    Those puppies are complicated. So be prepared!!
    It is all explained in the E31 repair Manual
    https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/721en/index.htm
    Last edited by m6bigdog; 10-09-2018 at 02:28 AM.

My Cars
    Thank you rj and m6, I appreciate your assistance. Yes, lots of twisting and tugging, but the headrests DID come off. Then on to separating and removing the rear outer/upper trim piece.

I did not know the 'hole' was SO small. I had a small punch from a set of jeweler's screwdrivers that just fit in the outer hole. With pushing, tugging, and a large flat bladed screwdriver I got the outside clip to release. Then, I discovered the hole on the 'inside' of the trim piece (toward the center of the car) was down below the hard backrest cover, so was inaccessible for putting the punch through it and pushing. Eventually, I concluded I might be able to get one of the 'expensive' flat plastic trim removal tools I have (https://www.ebay.com/p/4pcs-Car-Door...6070558&chn=ps ) and push it into the small crack between the front and rear pieces. Got it down into the area close to where I thought the hole was, then maneuvered it so it pulled the rear piece away from the front piece. With more tugging and twisting, that clip released. Used the same tool (the one next to the bottom shown in the link posted above) to release the third clip on the upper outer area.

NOW - to find a source for the dark Silver Grey paint (looks a slight bit darker than the Silver Grey leather color) that is applied to these trim pieces. Anyone have any sources to recommend?

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Knox; 10-11-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '13 Audi A8

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    SEM colorcoat has a very dark gray, medium gray and silver gray available. I can check can when I home this weekend.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Knox View Post
    Thank you rj and m6, I appreciate your assistance. Yes, lots of twisting and tugging, but the headrests DID come off. Then on to separating and removing the rear outer/upper trim piece.

I did not know the 'hole' was SO small. I had a small punch from a set of jeweler's screwdrivers that just fit in the outer hole. With pushing, tugging, and a large flat bladed screwdriver I got the outside clip to release. Then, I discovered the hole on the 'inside' of the trim piece (toward the center of the car) was down below the hard backrest cover, so was inaccessible for putting the punch through it and pushing. Eventually, I concluded I might be able to get one of the 'expensive' flat plastic trim removal tools I have (https://www.ebay.com/p/4pcs-Car-Door...6070558&chn=ps ) and push it into the small crack between the front and rear pieces. Got it down into the area close to where I thought the hole was, then maneuvered it so it pulled the rear piece away from the front piece. With more tugging and twisting, that clip released. Used the same tool (the one next to the bottom shown in the link posted above) to release the third clip on the upper outer area.

NOW - to find a source for the Silver Grey paint (looks a slight bit darker than the Silver Grey leather color) that is applied to these trim pieces. Anyone have any sources to recommend?

Gary
    Gary

The ColourLock (https://www.colourlock.com/leather-d...esh-150ml.html) Silvergrey dunkel leather dye product was a perfect match for the gray plastic trim pieces on both my cars.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Ferni has just done this job with excellent results with the correct colour here:

https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...1/#post3255807
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
    Gary

The ColourLock (https://www.colourlock.com/leather-d...esh-150ml.html) Silvergrey dunkel leather dye product was a perfect match for the gray plastic trim pieces on both my cars.
    While a good color match, I am not sure it will be durable enough. You really need to use an adhesion promoter and matte clear for any long term durability. Speaking from personal experience having done all seat parts earlier this year.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Well, perhaps in a daily driver it may get too much abuse; however mine has been holding up very well in both cars without any sign of wear, cracking, or lack of adhesion. I figure if the dye is good enough to stand up to your butt moving back-and-forth on the seat every day, it should stand up to the minimal wear that will occur on the plastic parts.

Mike Barrett

My Cars
    Timm,

Yes thank you for posting that. Ferni had a great writeup and I have been in touch with him via PM's for 4-5 days. Used some of his input and pictures to finalize their removal process from my car. (I have the UK e31 forum link on my bookmarked sites).

Michael - yes, I saw your earlier post about the success with Colour lock, and that is high on my option list. Thanks for that input.

Gary--
    Last edited by Gary Knox; 10-11-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '13 Audi A8