Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Group Buy on 3 Piece BMW Roadstar Wheels 18"

My Cars
    GT40R Turbo M Coupe, 71 Datsun VG30 510 "AKASmurf"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas SK View Post
    Thanks Greg, please ceramic coat my set of wheels.

For the wheel bolts:
    what finishes are the Titanium bolts ?
    What’s the spec of the bolt?
    Do you have photos?

My concern with chrome bolts is that the shinny surface might wear prematurely or rust overtime.

Thanks

Jonas
    Raw on titanium. The all black wheels seen in this thread have the titanium hardware. I've only done 4 sets of titanium hardware. The rest are all chrome hardware, and schott has used the bolts for years. Very high quality, sourced from Italy. I have had zero issues with my own wheels which all have chrome hardware. Aside, hardware is one of the easiest things to swap or repair.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1999 M coupe, Black/Kyalami Orange, Sunroof Delete; GT4088R turbo, 610 WHP @ 22PSI Pump Gas; 2.79 Gearing; TCK D/A's; Forgelines 19x9 et38 w/265 30's; 19x11.5 et19 w/305 30's. Brembo GT Brakes; Race Logic Traction Control.

1971 Datsun 510: High Compression VG34e, CAI,Fuji Blue, GC C/O's; system, Penultimate Rear Crossmember R160 lsd 3.70, cv axels; CCW LM16's 16 x 7.5/8.5 w/215 40 and 245 35 T1R's.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Sent you a text Greg. I'm close to joining the group buy, and wanted to see a photo of your Chrome Shadow finish if you have one. I was originally considering ordering the wheels un-finished and having them delivered directly to Prince Wheels for their Chrome Shadow treatment...but now that you have one that passes your eye-test, I'd like to see it before I make my final decision. Thanks!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by sitdownrando View Post
    Sent you a text Greg. I'm close to joining the group buy, and wanted to see a photo of your Chrome Shadow finish if you have one. I was originally considering ordering the wheels un-finished and having them delivered directly to Prince Wheels for their Chrome Shadow treatment...but now that you have one that passes your eye-test, I'd like to see it before I make my final decision. Thanks!
    I haven't ever had a chrome shadow OEM wheel in my possession. Since you have one, I'll be shipping the sample to you, so you can shime in your self on what you think against a factory roadstar wheel with the factory chrome shadow finish. I know there are variances in that finish, but it will be interesting to see how this finish compares so we can set better expectations.

1999 M coupe, Black/Kyalami Orange, Sunroof Delete; GT4088R turbo, 610 WHP @ 22PSI Pump Gas; 2.79 Gearing; TCK D/A's; Forgelines 19x9 et38 w/265 30's; 19x11.5 et19 w/305 30's. Brembo GT Brakes; Race Logic Traction Control.

1971 Datsun 510: High Compression VG34e, CAI,Fuji Blue, GC C/O's; system, Penultimate Rear Crossmember R160 lsd 3.70, cv axels; CCW LM16's 16 x 7.5/8.5 w/215 40 and 245 35 T1R's.

My Cars
    S54 Roady, LS1 & LS2 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesmechanical View Post
    I haven't ever had a chrome shadow OEM wheel in my possession. Since you have one, I'll be shipping the sample to you, so you can shime in your self on what you think against a factory roadstar wheel with the factory chrome shadow finish. I know there are variances in that finish, but it will be interesting to see how this finish compares so we can set better expectations.
    Weren't the hidden hardware eluded to at some point? Or maybe just my selective memory. I have 3 brand new never mounted 9" rear chrome shadows if that helps.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch138 View Post
    Weren't the hidden hardware eluded to at some point? Or maybe just my selective memory. I have 3 brand new never mounted 9" rear chrome shadows if that helps.
    Oh no, for sure, we were wanting to be able to offer hidden hardware. We achieved 19" and 18" without changing the raw materials involved, and once that was achieved, we looked at the hidden hardware option, and it just wasn't physically possible without changing the center forging. Changing the center forging would be a completely new project. The response on the project has been positive, but with less than 20 sets of wheels sold since I started this project, the up front cost isn't justified. Now if someone wanted to pay $15,000 for the first set of wheels that were blind bolt, or we could get deposits for 12 sets of wheels up front, then maybe I might consider it.

From a business standpoint (which this was never intended to be, and still isn't, its a hobby) at the low price point I'm selling these wheels for it would take me 50-75 sets of wheels to break even with the time and money Kevin and I have invested in this. Absolutely terrible investment. But now, I was the crazy guy who was willing to risk the money and time invested to make it happen because I wanted it that bad. I was told so many times it was impossible. I know more than one hot rod guy who have done one off wheels that have over $50K into a single set of wheels, based on that metric, I did way better than that.

Fitting a Z3M with big brakes, and a wide medium/high offset front wheel with decent width is a massive challenge. Doing a single piece monobloc would be more feasible, but even so, its a challenge. I am currently doing a dream build, its a 1967 C10 short bed pickup built on top of a 2008 Corvette Zr1. The chassis/torque tube had to be lengthened, custom chassis to merge the two, leaving all the original Vette engineering, electronics, etc. The track width was almost perfect for the truck, just really about .25" wide. So, not only did the wheel have to come inward, I wanted to run 12" front wheels (from 10" wide original) and 13.5" rear wheels (from 12" originals) but I wanted to run 18" fronts, and 19" rears, not the factory spec 19" fronts/20" rears. I found the guy like me in the Corvette world (Nyguen with Signiture Wheels), and he is the geek that has fitted 18" wheel around the massive carbon ceramic factory zr1 wheels all the way around, with 12" fronts on auto cross corvettes. I asked him about multi piece wheels, and he lauged. He said "No, only monobloc".

This Z3 project was a similarly difficult project as the Zr1 brake/hub on my 1967 truck body conversion ironically, and Nyguen couldn't believe the surface machinging involved in this wheel, and fitting the brakes, curvature in the back spokes to clear the brakes. Literally Kevin and I went through hundreds of crossections of forgings to see what could even work, and we only found one forging that came close to working. I essentially we got lucky finding the one forging that had the crossections I needed. There was no way I was going to not design for big brakes, because that was what was on my car, and many people have that issue. I wanted to make the wheel solve all issues except for price, which I knew would be at least what any 3 piece wheel would cost. That said, I know this community is the type to do it your self, reconditioned BBS, Kinesis, Fikse wheels etc, but because of my exposure to the many people who asked for help fitting 3 piece wheels to our cars, I thought maybe it was a small but workable market. I'm so happy I did this project, and I can share it. Its not a money maker, and I'm just a pleased it isn't. It doesn't matter. Its a very good distraction from my daily job. I love cars, and I love wheels, and who do I know that can say that they have done what I have done. No one. I'd love to meet that person if they exist. Take one of the most 3d intense cast wheels, and apply it to a very difficult fitment, and every option that only makes it more difficult.

I have had two phone calls today about purchasing 18" wheel completely unrelated to this thread, so I think I have about half the order filled. Beyond what I thought could happen.

I'll compile a list later when I have some more time. Figuring out what I'm going to order for inventory is going to be the main trick.

My Cars
    1999 M-Coupe, 2013 S60RD
    Gorgeous wheels - sort of wish the 18'' came with a stepped lip option.

My Cars
    z3
    Everytime I read your posts the passion and love for what you've done with these wheels is extremely apparent and it makes me want to buy a set because I love the looks but beyond that, hearing someone so excited about em gets me excited about em... coolest low pressure sales tactic ever
    Of course then I look at my bank account

I hope you keep doing these group buys though, some quick math says $420/month set aside over 12 months will get me a set of these wheels next year... assuming pricing is the same

And thank you again for offering these to the community. These are truly spectacular wheels and I love being part of a community where people make stuff like this come to fruition

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post

I hope you keep doing these group buys though, some quick math says $420/month set aside over 12 months will get me a set of these wheels next year... assuming pricing is the same
    BB, add a few $ for some new lug bolts...these wheels deserve them!

Next we just need carbon fiber reproductions of all the interior plastics and we can keep these cars looking great forever! Just wait till all our dashes start cracking like most of the E30s. Oh wait, we drive Z3s. The plastics will probably just disintegrate before they crack.

OP, do your wheels accept TPMS sensors? Most wheels usually do, some don't. I run an aftermarket system on my current set as it's nice to know that I'm losing air before I destroy a wheel.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 10-16-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    Z3
    https://youtu.be/yWI2uVTGEEY

Check out this powder coated dark chrome finish, pretty amazing

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas SK View Post
    https://youtu.be/yWI2uVTGEEY

Check out this powder coated dark chrome finish, pretty amazing
    I think in person those would look very differnt from true shadow chrome

Shadow chrome is a gloss black base with a translucent silver on top, and clearcoat over that. So would likely look quite different from that one with a chrome base. A nice finish but probably not truly shadowchrome

My Cars
    z3

The wheels look even better in person... definitely the last thing I was expecting to see on my way home from lunch!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe

The wheels look even better in person... definitely the last thing I was expecting to see on my way home from lunch!
    Rip off your side view mirror next time so we can get a better look.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Rip off your side view mirror next time so we can get a better look.
    +1

My Cars
    z3
    Maybe this picture is a bit better

Would have kept a distance and take some pictures but I wanted to say hi so pulled up next to em at the red light. Ended up being a mechanic at a local shop who had it out on a test drive - didn't have a lot of time to talk but something about a lower compression engine...
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-17-2018 at 08:09 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Man, that offset is perfect.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

Would have kept a distance and take some pictures but I wanted to say hi so pulled up next to em at the red light. Ended up being a mechanic at a local shop who had it out on a test drive - didn't have a lot of time to talk but something about a lower compression engine...
    Did he build a driveshaft for it?
    Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would motor about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    The fitment on that car was A++. I took the pictures while Graham was driving and having a heart attack about it. I will say, it blew a good bit of smoke when the mechanic guy stepped on it, so it might need a little more work, haha
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    Z3

Is that a 18 or 19”?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I'll wager those are 19s.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Those are 19s, since only 19s can be step lip.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    z3
    Yup they were 19" and gorgeous in person. Changed the whole look of the car for the better. Looked like an exotic

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars

Lol, nice find. Thats Steve's car down in Pheonix. It was up here in Utah for a while getting big brakes, and his choice of the 19" wheels he wanted. That is the most expensive set of wheels I've built yet, ti hardware, black chrome on all surfaces. That setup is 19x11.5 rear, 19x9 front, running 315 25 19 and 255 30 19. Kevin and I drove that car to dork fest, and had a trip to mexico over 170 mph. 2.79 Gears, comp 65mm turbo, beautiful build. www.turbomcoupe.com is the original build, and I converted the interior to stock seats and did some nice details inside for him. Steve and I go back to freshman year of college in 1991 and BYU. Our families are going to Hawaii this thanksgiving. Amazing friend.

He hasn't driven the car in a while, he is converting the tec3r ecu to a factory DME tuned for the turbo now to make it more drivable and less stinky. Idle control with the tec3 was not good.

My Cars
    z3
    It not being your car (but a pretty convincing clone!) explained the lack of Kyalami interior...

Does the car live in Phoenix or just down here for some work?

My Cars
    Steve lives in Chandler, and he used to have a second home up here in Utah (Park City), so in the off season (summer in pheonix) he would sometimes leave it up here in Utah for the nice driving weather here during summer. Its been down there for a few years now.

- - - Updated - - -

Especially with the front brakes, and sunroof delete, When I had both in my garage, you had to look at the rear to know (brakes and exhaust differences). These cars are really so much fun. 19" scares a lot of people, but man, the 315 25 19/255 30 19 tires fit so nice, and Ive never had issues with bending, or ride quality issues. Steve's car is pretty basic suspension with stock style struts (bilstien) with H&R sport springs.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Greg sent me a sample of what his in-house Chrome Shadow finish would look like. I placed it in various positions against my OEM Chrome Shadow roadstars for comparison purposes and wanted to share the results with all of you.

Hope this helps some of you make a decision!

IMG_3807 by Mark Rand, on Flickr

IMG_3806 by Mark Rand, on Flickr

IMG_3805 by Mark Rand, on Flickr

IMG_3804 by Mark Rand, on Flickr

IMG_3803 by Mark Rand, on Flickr

IMG_3802 by Mark Rand, on Flickr

IMG_3801 by Mark Rand, on Flickr

IMG_3800 by Mark Rand, on Flickr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast