Thread: Noisy Interior?

My Cars
    14 Corvette Z51 / E300

Noisy Interior?

Hey Guys & gals
    Just curious... Are the interiors of your cars loud? I'm not talking about the beautiful exhaust note when your on it. I'm talking about tire & road noise, theirs nothing sexy about that. In some states like TX, CA, FL...etc its real bad. Even some aftermarket exhaust can be brutal.
    At this time we do not manufacture or sell any BMW parts. So I apologize for the lack of knowledge. However I thought speaking to enthusiasts here would be the best way to get feedback.
    I appreciate your time & help.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! BMWs, the newer ones esp, have fairly heavy doors and are well insulated to help eliminate a lot of the road noise. My 135i is really quite inside, likely due to some solid tires as well. Which model are you speaking about? All the F30s?
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2014 535i, 2015 428i
    I have a F36 (4-door Gran Coupe), and I can't call my interior quiet. Nor can I call it loud. Noise is definitely noticeable on concrete roads and there is wind noise on the freeway. Obviously, nice smooth asphalt leads to a quiet ride. I hate run flat tires (increased noise), and BMW does not spend a lot of effort in noise reduction on the 3 and 4 series cabins. There is a noticeable reduction in cabin noise when I drive my wife's F10 535i. Road is quieter (better sound insulation) and wind noise is very much reduced. I don't notice the wind noise whereas I definitely notice wind on my 4-series. I wouldn't worry about the exhaust note. I mean... BMW has spent effort in piping recorded fake exhaust noise through the audio system when you go WOT so the engine noise itself isn't bad at all. The interior of my brother's 2016 Mercedes C300 is much more serene than my 4-series.
    Last edited by bkdc; 10-18-2018 at 11:17 AM.

My Cars
    E30, E36, E36, E39, E83
    I recently test drove severs F32's and I noticed the cabin noise was louder than I expected.

My Cars
    2015 428i
    I have had my F32 428i for almost two weeks and love it. I have a similar question except its about the engine sound when idling...I want to say its a purrrrr but sometimes its more like a gentle rattle...is this normal, I bought a 2015 CPO with 40K on it, and it sounds the same as when I test drove it and another one...Im simply brand new to the family and while I think the car is silent on the road, and don't hear much external noise I am very aware of this sound...any ideas?

My Cars
    2016 535i, 2016 328i GT
    Yep, I've got some ideas! I own a 2016 328i GT and, YES, I've noticed a lot of road/tire noise at speed, but MORE than that, I've noticed an increase in road/tire "hiss" when it's raining, it almost sounds like a "whishing" noise or like a real high pitch static.

I also own a '16 535i and it doesn't have that noise when it's raining. So I opened the doors, got on the floor and looked underneath. The doors on the 535i have TWO separate rubber weatherstrips along the inside bottom of the door (about an inch apart) whereas the 328i has only one weatherstrip.

I bought 10 feet of rubber weatherstripping ($9.95) and installed it on the bottom of all four 328i doors an inch below the factory rubber weatherstrip and "voila" an immediate reduction in daily road/tire noise. After two different road trips in the rain, the "whishing" water/road noise when it's wet has gone down to almost nothing. You would think that BMW would have discovered that and spent and extra few dollars when building the car to reduce the noise level.

Add a full-length of weatherstripping along the "step-down" line on the inside of each door bottom (which is an inch below the factory weatherstripping each door) Try it, you'll like it. Good Luck.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by hoonose View Post
    Yep, I've got some ideas! I own a 2016 328i GT and, YES, I've noticed a lot of road/tire noise at speed, but MORE than that, I've noticed an increase in road/tire "hiss" when it's raining, it almost sounds like a "whishing" noise or like a real high pitch static.

I also own a '16 535i and it doesn't have that noise when it's raining. So I opened the doors, got on the floor and looked underneath. The doors on the 535i have TWO separate rubber weatherstrips along the inside bottom of the door (about an inch apart) whereas the 328i has only one weatherstrip.

I bought 10 feet of rubber weatherstripping ($9.95) and installed it on the bottom of all four 328i doors an inch below the factory rubber weatherstrip and "voila" an immediate reduction in daily road/tire noise. After two different road trips in the rain, the "whishing" water/road noise when it's wet has gone down to almost nothing. You would think that BMW would have discovered that and spent and extra few dollars when building the car to reduce the noise level.

Add a full-length of weatherstripping along the "step-down" line on the inside of each door bottom (which is an inch below the factory weatherstripping each door) Try it, you'll like it. Good Luck.
    Great solution. Can you post a photo?