Thread: Intent to Purchase: 335d

My Cars
    2017 Focus ST

Intent to Purchase: 335d

Hey all,

First post in this forum. I'm new to BMW. I've only owned one for 6 months and it's a beautiful 2001 325xi that my wife daily drives. Can't stand that I'm the one that has to drive the brand new 2017 and SHE gets to drive the 2001! I love that dang car!

I'm selling mine. I've been tossing some cars around and have ultimately landed on the 335... i or d... Not sure which one I'm going to go with yet. Obviously the gasser is far more available and can be had for less money but the call of the d (giggity) is tempting me.

Let me tell you where I stand, and maybe you can tell me that the d is not a good choice for me. To put it simply... This is what I want out of my 335

Straight line power. I don't care to autocross or to aggressively drive around corners. It's far too dangerous and I'm not about that. I do, however, love racing in straight lines with my boys.
    As much reliability as possible. Obviously... No one wants their car to be a money pit.
    Mod-ability. I absolutely will be modifying whichever 335 I get. I will stay with stock turbos for a long time to come and will start the first couple years with bolt ons. Exhaust, intercooler, intake, tune, etc.
    I don't mind performing my own maintenance. Do I want my car to have constant maintenance? No. I know the gasser will has oil changes every 4k miles and differential services every 15-20k miles etc etc. If the diesel requires those things PLUS another 4 things every 5k miles I don't know how interested I am. If I have to swap this fluid that fluid this fluid that fluid, purchase additional additives all the time, take it to a shop to have carbon removed all the time... I'm not sure I'm into it.

I am NOT against removing parts. Through my research I've heard multiple sources cite that they just removed X and removed Y and now their 335d isn't so finicky anymore and gets amazing gas mileage and doesn't require constant maintence and if that's what it takes and it doesn't cost 5 grand, I'm cool with that.

If I had to pick out of any of those what my biggest "want" is... It would be the straight line power. If the gasser in every regard is always faster then that's my choice. If the diesel can be tuned and have a couple bolt ons and eat up gassers then that's what I would take if the maintenance on the thing won't kill my wallet and my time...

Whatchu think? I'm really unsure of what to go with and that's mostly just because I'm not experienced enough with BMW.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    My son's 2007 335i MT with MPPK was significantly faster than my 335d. The additional 60 HP makes a lot of difference; the 335d has to be feathered to make it off the line due to the big torque.

The diesel engine and transmission are more reliable than the gas 335i, and will last longer, get way better mileage, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

Don't know why you think 4K engine oil changes are necessary, 10K is quite adequate if you look at the Blackstone analyses. On either engine.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Personally I would not buy a diesel. If you consider the complexity of the Diesel engine and added systems that make it pass emissions, it's to complicated. if your are an around town driver you will never get the diesel to go into regen mode to cook off the particulate filter and the intake manifold will get loaded up. We just had a 90k one , an around town driver, the ports in the intake were reduced by half from carbon and soot build up. I'd would buy a gas engine plus if you want hot rod it there are people getting some serious horsepower out of the 335.

My Cars
    I would only buy a diesel engine if I were able to delete all the emissions crap and tune it. Not sure if your area has emissions testing on diesel cars. But if you do, be prepared for soot and smell.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    740iS, 745i, 528i

Intent to Purchase: 335d

Buy the Diesel!

You’ve got the option of a chip taking it up to over 500 ft/lbs of torque, while still staying emission legal.
    You have 10 years/120K mile emission warranty on the NOx sensors and active tank assembly which are the big ticket items that fail.
    Add the Mann crankcase filter system to eliminate further intake carbon and you now have a really fun car.

You change oil every 6K miles so more often than the gasser but all other fluid changes are the same.

I love my 335d!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2017 Focus ST
    Thanks for the responses boys. After reading more and sleeping on it, I think I'll just go with the 335i to keep it simple. Tried and true. Can't go wrong with that right?