Thread: E60 2005 545i N62 smoking from bank 2 exhaust SOLVED!

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i

E60 2005 545i N62 smoking from bank 2 exhaust SOLVED!

You may have the same issue with your '05 545i N62 as I had. It would start rough, but then smooth out. Then as I pulled away from the house it would leave a billowing trail of blue-white smoke. When I stopped at a stoplight or in a line of traffic it would again billow smoke on acceleration. It would also idle rough. I purchased it used with the insurance money from my totaled restored cherry E38 (a very sad tale). The previous owner was not a mechanic by any measure and the car suffered. After addressing the immediate issue with the transmission (fluid ordered from Germany and a new filter pan) I turned to the engine. New plugs, used air runner control motor replacing the broken one, new CCV's, cleaned fuel injectors, new intake gaskets and new seals all around erased nearly all the engine error codes.

I read here and on several forums that a few of you asked if anyone had taken apart the intake runner. Well, I did. It came apart in two sections with the runner assembly attached to the top half. I discovered two things. 1) the CCV vent tube nozzle on the top part was only a couple of inches long and passed through the top of the runner housing above the air intake. Nothing surprising. 2) the vent tube nozzle on the bottom part was connected to a 6" long perforated tube located on the drivers side/bank 2 of the housing.

As you know, the Bank 1 crankcase gasses pass through the CCV and into the top of the runner via the crankcase vent tube and the Bank 2 tube connects to the BOTTOM left side, VERY important to note. After applying new gasket by hand (you will not find a runner rebuild gasket as they came form the factory hand-made) and putting it all back together, the only issues were as stated above. After some deep thought at 5am for 3-4 nights I had nothing. Then it hit me.

The smoke only happened after the car idled for a while AND it only happened on the Bank 2/left side exhaust. Since it was not constant I thought that the valve seals could not be the issue. I deduced that when the car idled the CCV's were open to the air intake could vent the crankcase gasses and likely sucked up some oil. On the Bank 1/right side the oil would simply condense and flow down the tube back into the head cover through the oil separator. However, the Bank 2/right side vent tube, since it connects below the air intake would not permit the condensed oil to flow down to the CCV but rather down to the intake runner nozzle. The oil would pool in the bottom of the runner housing where? On the left side under the intake ports for BANK 2! The longer the idle, the more oil would collect. When the car accelerated, the rushing air would stir up the oil and it would get sucked into the nearest intake, BANK 2. That's why the oil would not exit the Bank 1 exhaust. Eureka!

To remedy this I plugged the bottom CCV intake nozzle with 3/4" heater hose and a bolt, and a couple of hose clamps. I then used 4 copper ninety-degree hose fittings, a T-fitting, and 3/4" heater hose to feed both banks' CCV gas output nozzles to the one CCV vent tube intake on the front of the housing above the air intake. Yeah, it's a little Doc Brown looking but it frigging works! I cleared all the codes, fuel adaptations, and other adaptations and started driving it. The rough start and idle slowly disappeared as well. $25 in parts from Autozone (hose) and Lowes (elbow fittings and clamps.

This is a major design flaw that has not been addressed that I can find.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    Aaaand I found out you can fit a 2006 740 CCV vent tube that is a factory version of the contraction I just built.