Thread: Newbie: 2002 330i purchased

My Cars
    '02 330i

Newbie: 2002 330i purchased

Sold my 2000 M Coupe about 4 months ago, and really missed the zippy little bugger. Got it pretty cheap but paid the price over time as it had some issues (cracked head). It turned into a money pit, so I sold it.

Recently found a 2002 300i with 184k miles on it locally for pretty darn cheap: <$3k (talked the guy down quite a bit)

• Silver w black interior, manual tranny, not dents or dings, 4th owner; apparently first owner put most of the miles on it
    • Drives really well and does a pretty good job of replacing the M Coupe for fast, superb-handling driving
    • Did not come with any maint history, but it appears to be well-cared for, mostly
    • Came with brand new crap tires: Kumho Ecsta; they seem ok for now, but this car really need some good tires
    • Suspension seems a bit mushy in the rear (the M Coupe had TC Kline full suspension package, and it was solid!)

Had a few issues:
    • climate control fan didn't run correctly; so I replaced the Final Stage Resistor (tight squeeze that one) and it works now
    • key would not open the doors consistently, and the mechanical lock didn't unlock; car came with a new lock so I popped it in (easy job) and now I have a mech lock, but battery is buggered in the fob, so I'll deal with that later
    • headliner coming away in a few areas; fixed the A pillars (easy); still have other areas coming off
    • clutch seems a bit "light," but my PPI guy said he thought it could last a couple of years; after driving for a while it seems ok, just different from the M Coupe which had a new clutch
    • has a tear in the drivers seat; no biggie
    • P1620 code is on; next job is to replace the t-stat, but it sounds like that might not cure the issue
    • AC growls; read on the forums that it is either low refrigerant, or a fading compressor; I'll pump some R134 into it next week to see if that changes anything
    • Armrest cover had a big hole in it; replaced it with a faux-leather one from eBay that looks good for $17.00

Other than that, it's in decent shape. I like it. It is a high-miler, so I might just drive it for a while and look for a low(er) mileage one.

My daily driver has been a 1989 Mercedes 300SE for nine years; great old cruiser but time to move on.

My Cars
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by wallball View Post
    Sold my 2000 M Coupe about 4 months ago, and really missed the zippy little bugger. Got it pretty cheap but paid the price over time as it had some issues (cracked head). It turned into a money pit, so I sold it.

Recently found a 2002 300i with 184k miles on it locally for pretty darn cheap: <$3k (talked the guy down quite a bit)

• Silver w black interior, manual tranny, not dents or dings, 4th owner; apparently first owner put most of the miles on it
    • Drives really well and does a pretty good job of replacing the M Coupe for fast, superb-handling driving
    • Did not come with any maint history, but it appears to be well-cared for, mostly
    • Came with brand new crap tires: Kumho Ecsta; they seem ok for now, but this car really need some good tires
    • Suspension seems a bit mushy in the rear (the M Coupe had TC Kline full suspension package, and it was solid!)

Had a few issues:
    • climate control fan didn't run correctly; so I replaced the Final Stage Resistor (tight squeeze that one) and it works now
    • key would not open the doors consistently, and the mechanical lock didn't unlock; car came with a new lock so I popped it in (easy job) and now I have a mech lock, but battery is buggered in the fob, so I'll deal with that later
    • headliner coming away in a few areas; fixed the A pillars (easy); still have other areas coming off
    • clutch seems a bit "light," but my PPI guy said he thought it could last a couple of years; after driving for a while it seems ok, just different from the M Coupe which had a new clutch
    • has a tear in the drivers seat; no biggie
    • P1620 code is on; next job is to replace the t-stat, but it sounds like that might not cure the issue
    • AC growls; read on the forums that it is either low refrigerant, or a fading compressor; I'll pump some R134 into it next week to see if that changes anything
    • Armrest cover had a big hole in it; replaced it with a faux-leather one from eBay that looks good for $17.00

Other than that, it's in decent shape. I like it. It is a high-miler, so I might just drive it for a while and look for a low(er) mileage one.

My daily driver has been a 1989 Mercedes 300SE for nine years; great old cruiser but time to move on.
    Please post pics.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk
    Jeremy
    2000 323Ci Titansilber Metallic cabriolet

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5, 1997 E36 328iC
    How hard was the armrest replacement, and is it notably different from the leather/original one?