Quote Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
Update:

Since my last post where I began to pursue 1) reprogramming of the DME by local tech or 2) purchase of the service from DME repair companies.

As I researched I selected Module Experts in Jacksonville FL.

With a lower price of $240 to repair and reprogram (I thought) I sent my DME to them. Also, based on verbal discussion of my trouble codes and including their web site indicating they could reprogram DMEs for BMW and Mercedes, etc. I contracted with them .Additionally, they did not require the EWS.

Shortly after they received my DME I received a call and the sales person indicating I had a short in the DME requiring replacement. Ouch! So after I agreed to another $688 they returned a re manufactured DME. After install of re man DME it performed just like my original DME. I experienced the same cold start symptoms, similar check sum, ram check, failures, and throttle error codes, etc.

I later determined they reloaded the same code from my original DME to the re manufactured supplied unit. At first the sales person was resistant to issue a credit for the re man DME claiming my original DME with the short remained the reason for my cold start problem. But after discussion with the senior tech where he stated “ we do not reprogram DMEs” and discussion with a manger, Darrel, he agreed to a refund after I returned the re man DME. In hindsight a poor decision on my part that resulted in $240 loss and continued Z4 down time.

After review of my problem with RPM and ECU doctors I selected RPM Motorsports, Canada to do the work on my original DME.

I received and installed the reprogrammed DME on Tuesday 3/26 and installed the EWS and DME.

Upon first crank same presentation of cold start issues. Did a manual throttle rest and with second crank it started OK (YEA!), although it seemed to run rough. Ran a code check and saw a host of new codes, but none of the RAM check failures and throttle codes.

New codes presented:
2786 Throttle valve potentionmeter 1
2787 Throttle valve potentionmeter 2
2807 Pedal position sensor
27Bd Exhaust Camshaft activation
2797 Idle speed control valve open
2796 Idle speed control valve closed
27C4 Main relay

Cleared codes.
Restarted
Started ok but Z4 was presenting what seemed like misfire.
Read codes this time:

None of the above but just:
27AA Fuel Injector Cylinder 2

2746 Misfire Cylinder 2

Added some Fuel injector cleaner and ran for 10 miles or so but misfire remained.

So thinking now I have a bad injector on Cyl 2 from possibly the car sitting too long.

Also, I have restarted on multiple successive mornings with outside temp of high 20s and low 30 s and it started OK. After clearing codes and reread I saw again:

27AA Fuel Injector Cylinder 2

2746 Misfire Cylinder 2

So the saga seems to be coming to a close with cost of $530 and the reprogramming of the DME by a company (RPM ) with the expertise to fix it!
The cylinder 2 fuel injector misfire was found to be a bent pin in the computer that caused the fuel injector electrical signal to not reach the injector.

After a pin realignment the injector problem has been resolved and so now for the first time in a long time I am starting the car normally and driving the Z4 with out any check engine lights!