Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Z4 E85 Cold Start Problem?

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

2004 Z4 E85 Cold Start Problem?

Suggestions WANTED to Z4 E85 starting issue.

04 Z4 E85 with 23,800 miles bought used in 07 with 15K miles.
    No service other than oil changes.

Problem presentation has been over the past 18 months so now is time to fix.

Problem when car is cold and upon start after about 20 seconds engine has major skip and may continue to run for another 15 to 20 seconds and then will often cut off. After 2 or 3 more cycles of starting , running engine for 10 to 15 seconds the engine will then continue to run fine and then throughout the day no starting problems will be experienced.

Occasionally in one of those +/- 5 starting cycles engine will start and run but with very rough idle ( pressing gas pedal does not change RPMs) requiring that I perform a manual throttle reset that will often result in the next start as normal with no unwanted engine shut offs.

Manual throttle reset procedure:
    1. Press pedal to floor.
    2. Turn ignition to position 3. Non cranking position.

1. Wait 30 seconds with pedal to floor.

1. After 30 secs. remove key and let off pedal.
    2. Wait 30 seconds and then start.

Today I started the dance again, but first cleared all codes.

First crank I was presented with the rough idle problem described above.

Read codes:
    DME codes present:
    28B2 Speed limitation reset
    27AT Throttle Starting test
    2796 Throttle: Adaptation Value is Incorrect

Cleared Codes.

Performed Manual Throttle Reset.

Started Ok with normal RPM at around 10K but started to drop to 9K and then major skip, but engine did not shut off, ran another +/-15 seconds and then engine shut down. Did not recrank.

Checked Codes same as above:
    27AT Throttle Starting test

Cleared Codes.
    Restarted and this time started fine and ran fine with no shut downs.

Read codes and no trouble found.

My research indicates I may need a DME board refresh at about 1 K in cost.
    My local mechanic that owns several BMWs indicated I may need a throttle body cleaning.
    My mechanic has so many cars in his lot it may be months before he can take a closer look.

Your suggestions may help in the ultimate repair.

Thanks
    Last edited by Charles S; 10-06-2018 at 07:54 AM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Have you checked the battery voltage? It’s very unusual to have an ECU, coding or even a mechanical issue at this mileage but if the battery is low all vehicle settings, memories and ECUs will go hay wire. It doesn’t sound like the vehicle is used that much and I wouldn’t be surprised if battery is borderline especially the cold cranking/start charge. Also the fact that problem resolves after some engine runtime suggests a battery/charge problem. Defective ECUs and coding don’t resolve with usage. The vehicle’s electronic system won’t function reliably below 13.5 volts which is the minimum voltage limit allowed for coding and programming as determined by ISTA and ISTA/P. I would check the battery voltage at cold start and if not meeting the 13.5 volt get a more powerful battery first. If you have a second vehicle (or a battery charger with more than 90 amp continuous output) and would like to confirm, you can connect the Z4 to the running second vehicle as a “jump start” and start the Z4 to see if the rough start problem disappears while being connected to “more reliable” power source.
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-07-2018 at 11:56 PM.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Ok Thank you for your input. I will investigate the battery voltage levels in detail.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I checked battery voltage this morning. 12.23 cold.

Ran battery charger for about an hour and charger indicated full charge but showed only 12.7.

Used another vehicle to jump and with jump vehicle running Z4 battery still showing 12.7.

Upon start same results of requiring throttle reset and 4 restarts until it ran without shutting off.

With a few calls this morning parts stores where unable to identify a battery that will show 13.5.

What brand of battery do you have?

Thanks again!

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    12.23 volts without engine running is normal (it’s a 12 volt battery and seems to be holding charge). However 12 volt while connected to a running vehicle with 14 volt supply seems odd. What’s the Z4 voltage while running? And the cold cranking amps rating of the battery?

If the battery/alternator power supply are sufficient, I would check the electrical throttle valve next. You can read more on this here:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...le-edk/XjU9VWi

and here:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...meters/XjkIHOb

Note that even the gas pedal position plays a role in initial calculations so make sure nothing is stuck there.
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-08-2018 at 11:20 AM.

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    The battery should be 12.7V fully charged, anything under 12.4 after sitting overnight is too low. With engine running you should see 14 or more, and immediately after shutting the engine off or after charging overnight it may read 13.25, but that won't last.

The battery won't affect the cold start problem, only a DME rebuild will do that. There are several companies that advertise a repair cost lower than RPM, but when you tell them about the codes you have they will say they can't fix that.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    You are correct either I missed reported the voltage with starter vehicle running or possibly I had a faulty connection.
    Just rechecked a few minutes ago with starter vehicle running and voltage measures 14.2 to 14.5 without cables hooked to Z4. And with cables in place, starter vehicle running, and measuring voltage on Z4 battery post voltage reads 14.2. Will rerun test in morning after it Z4 sleeps overnight.

CAmps at 32 degrees is 850. CCA 680 at 0 degrees.
    Will also review the links you supplied. Thanks again for your recommendations.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Hi Charles; there is a calibration that goes on every time the key goes to the second position. This calibration occurs between the DME, throttle valve/actuator and sensors in the gas pedal. The throttle valve max opening and closing distance in relation to the gas pedal position are measured as well as the efficiency of an emergency spring that prevents the throttle from complete closure in case of emergency. The results of the calibration (aka throttle adaptation) determines the following vehicle functions:

- Implementing the driver's load choice
    - Vehicle speed control
    - Intervention by the vehicle handling control systems
    - Emergency operation
    - Load application (e.g.: seat heating, air conditioning system, lights)
    - Maximum speed limitation

The accuracy of this calibration relies on 2 voltage readings that the DME continuously checks against each other and against the air mass signal. If this calibration fails the DME defaults to most recently stored values from the past. If one reading is off the DME enforces a max limit of 1300 rpm (by restricting the fuel injectors). If both readings are off the DME puts the 1300 rpm limit, closes the throttle valve and engine eventually comes to a stop. More on this here:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...le-edk/YHvbema
    And here:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...le-edk/XjU9VWi

And the DME/throttle valve electrical wiring diagram:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...le-edk/iwSAXMh

It seems to me that in your case this calibration fails the first few times (maybe due to temporarily or initially stiff/sluggish throttle valve actuators) and throws off the whole engine calculations and behavior. Clearly the DME is enforcing the RPM limit which is why you feel “pressing the pedal doesn’t change RPM”. Your stored calibration values from the past are probably not good either. I am not convinced this is a DME software issue as the vehicle behaves completely normal once it eventually passes this stage. Even during this problematic phase the DME is in fact is doing what it’s programmed to do in case of mechanical throttle failure. All the error codes are an expected normal part of the response process as well.

I checked eBay price for a used OEM throttle body (part #13547516946) and found it for $60 average:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-BMW-E9...kAAOSwYHtbpp6v

You’ll probably need a new seal (Part #13547522361) with it.

Installation seems pretty straight forward; https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ration/EnK3MAP

I would give it a shot if it was my vehicle and I’m trying to figgure things out in a systematic, affordable and time saving fashion.
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-09-2018 at 05:07 AM.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    awesome feedback ...thanks

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    I tried replacing the throttle body and pedal, but after checking the various forums learned that the 45.0 and 45.1 model DME throttle adaptation failure is fairly common and age related. Flash memory can degrade after 10-15 yrs.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Not the case here. The flash memory in this vehicle seems to hold the memory just fine after it passes the troublesome adaptation. If the flash memory was corrupt, it would never pass the adaptation phase or run normal as adaptation is needed and occurs every time the vehicle is started. A temporarily stiff throttle valve is suggested by BMW in such a case scenario. The DME resorts to memory only if error in the interpretation of data occurs after adaptation has completed. And in the specific case that the ECU resorts to memory the vehicle would run normal and not experience a rpm hold. Rpm hold indicates an emergency response and only occurs if there is throttle actuator data conflicting with the air mass signal input during the adaptation process indicating mechanical throttle failure and requiring emergency intervention (see reference links above). In other words an active throttle performance failure not a memory glitch. I would expect a flash memory problem to occur randomly initially (not linked specifically to cold starts) and then all the time when it reaches complete failure (also not specifically linked to cold starts). I would also expect other engine components to be showing symptoms (flash memory is very limited on ECUs and has to be covering more than just the throttle adaptation in the DME). Charle‘s vehicle shows only throttle adaptation related problems and only times with cold starts as you can see from the title.

My Z4 is 11 years old and doesn’t have a flash memory problem so not sure about this “fairly common, age related” problem. Also my battery measured 12.17 before start this morning and it’s not causing any issues either.
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-09-2018 at 12:31 PM.

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    My Z4 was at the point where even repeated restarts would not work. My local indie did a benchtop reprogram and EWS sync that worked for a couple of hundred miles, but he warned me that it probably would not be a permanent fix. Since RPM Motorsports rebuilt the DME it's been perfect.

I searched several forums going back a few years and found it to be a concern, particularly in England and Europe. The reported fix was always replace the DME with a new one by the dealer.

Please understand that I'm not saying you are incorrect. I'm just reporting what worked by a company that has been doing this repair for several years now.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    No one is debating with your experience nor with your company’s reputation. However not everyone that experiences a heart attack will require open heart surgery just because someone’s aunt did. Clearly your presentation was different than his and very likely your car condition as well. Not sure how your indie would temporarily fix a flash memory chip on one electronic board by flashing another unrelated electronic board on a “bench top”! The wiring diagram of the DME-Throttle adaptation feedback clearly does not include EWS!! In addition, DMEs require a direct icom communication to be flashed with software without bricking them. If the memory chip is faulty then it would only benefit from a chip replacement followed by reflashing with a dump file. In this case people usually resort to buying a new or used DME unit, flashing it with the original vehicle model specific software and then recoding it. DMEs of the post facelift Z4 generation don’t require position feedback from the throttle valve but rather integrated sensors monitor the position and is perhaps why people on the forums you read were electing to buy new DMEs from dealers. European Z4s have an independent product line from US made vehicles and have some European specific problems like broken suspension springs that are not common in the US models. Did this ever happen in a US model? Probably in few random instances but would not consider “fairly common”.

Thanks for sharing your experience but I am not convinced that RPM motor sports and paying $500 is “his way out” of this just because you elected to do so or because it’s common in European vehicles. Even in Europe where this “flash memory” problem is more prevalent and recycling parts is more common (e.g. Romania) people still don’t elect to rebuild DMEs, they replace them. In Charle’s situation the problem is different and BMW manufacturer recommendations clearly suggest more simple and straight forward diagnosis and repair options. And if it turns out he has a DME problem at the end, he’s probably better off investing in a newer model DME (whether new or used) if possible than wasting that much money and effort on an old rebuild and re-visiting the same problem few years down the line. Even same model used DME would be a better choice and will cost him 1/4 of this rebuild price including the coding and VIN reset which he would still pay out of pocket in addition to the rebuild price. In all case scenario that’s an option to entertain only and if everything else fails and after all other direct and more simple causes (like stiff throttle mechanism) have been exhausted. Also who will be willing to install and backup an ECU that he rebuilt out of state? Who will code it, perform a VIN reset and alleviate any hardware/software problems for him during and after installation? Who will pick up the bill and refund his $500 in addition to the installation and coding fees if it turns out he didn’t need this and it didn’t fix his problem? He would be better off getting this done at the dealer if it’s ever needed! At least he can find someone to back up the purchased ECU, as well as the coding and installation if things didn’t go well the first time.
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-10-2018 at 01:15 AM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    So I did some research on the “fairly common” flash memory problem and it turns out it has been reported on forums maybe 2-4 times both in Europe and the US combined. As expected it’s a different condition where DME software becomes unstable and affects the behavior of the engine more notably in “cold WEATHER”. DME dependents also become affected including not just the throttle valve (throttle malfunction symptoms and codes including RPM hold) but EWS (the unstable DME software creates a self identity problem which causes the EWS to restrict the engine start in this condition which explains why the indie was manipulating the EWS in the above mentioned story), oxygen flow sensors, cylinder switch, fuel injectors etc. In this condition the engine is difficult to start, stalls and stops randomly throughout the day more commonly in cold environment. The dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree: Service Engine Soon, DSC, Brake, EML and SES lights are illuminated. In all these reported instances a simple DME software reflash was sufficient to permanently resolve the problem. Some got it done at the dealer while others used Winkfp and performed the reflash themselves for free. In non of these instances a DME rebuild or replacement was necessary although there seemed to always be a member that was chanting for the same company and it’s “life changing” service.

The hallmark that differentiates this condition from other non-DME look alikes (other components that are dependent on DME but can also fail independently on a smaller scale e.g the throttle valve) are DME specific codes (in the setting of MULTI system failure):

DME MS45 - Fault codes 28B2, 28AA and 28AC indicate an internal DME RAM fault

FC 28B2 "rpm limiting reset "
    FC 28AA "idle speed regulator" is stored in the DME.
    FC 28AC "nominal torque" is stored in the DME.
    FC 2869 - "DME self diagnostic: RAM check failed"
    FC 2830 - DME self test: checksum
    FC 28b2 rev limit reset

Other codes of DME-dependent components may falsely coexist due to their dependence on DME (false positives):

FC 2796 - "throttle flap: adaptation wrong",
    FC 27A1 - "throttle flap: start check",
    FC 29B6 cylinder switch off
    FC 2883 mixture preparation, bank 2 mixture too lean
    FC 2882 mixture preparation, bank 1 mixture too lean
    FC 2783 air flow sensor with HFM

Hope this clears up the image for Charles and other current and future Z4 owners. Not every throttle valve failure/error code will need expensive DME rebuild or replacement. If you don’t have a DME specific code, you don’t have a DME problem. If you do have a DME code in the above mentioned setting there is a 95% chance all you need is a DME reflash. Can DMEs completely fail and present similarly; of course but that’s not “fairly common”. It’s usually due to bricking, flood .. etc. and more of a completely non-responsive DME setting. Would a DME rebuild or replacement fix the unstable memory problem? Of course because one of the inherent steps in this procedure is software reflash. Did you need a DME rebuild or replacement? Most probably not as software reflash was sufficient to permanently resolve the problem in all reported cases.
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-10-2018 at 01:24 PM.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Thanks again to RJ237 and tekoo for their valuable input.
    As a follow up to tekoo's last post I wanted to detail all trouble codes I have captured since acquiring a code reader. Not always does more information help but in my case in might.
    But first: I verified a few days ago that the battery is good and with the starter vehicle connected to the Z4, the Z4 post voltage read 14.5 volts.
    Back to the fault codes I highlight on day one of my ownership of the used 04 Z4 while driving back from Atlanta to NC I was presented with an intermittent presentation of the yellow brake light and triangle DCS light on instrument cluster. As then and since 2007 this presentation on the instrument cluster will go away during a long trip or will will go away after parking the vehicle for a few days. Code reader trouble code clearing was not used during this intermittent presentation of the DCS and yellow brake light.
    After purchase of a code reader (CREATOR V7.9 Plus C310+ Code Scanner for BMW Mini Multi System Scan Tool ) I then was able to capture more fault codes including:
    As previously reported within the DME menu:

27A1 Throttle Starting test

Within EGS module:
    3c gearbox switch P0705 ( presentation on the instrument cluster appears as yellow gear)
    This has occurred since last spring intermittently and will appear independent of cold start problem. Most often a restart will solve the problem and gear symbol goes to an inactive state. On a few occasions with gear symbol inactive and upon changing gears slowly from drive to reverse the gear symbol will light on the inst cluster, but with shut down and restart the gearbox system returns to normal. My novice opinion would indicate the gear box switch is going bad and requires replacement, or gearbox switch contact cleaning is advised, and or possibly a relationship to the DME reflash problem as teekoo described above.
    Additional DME fault codes not previously mentioned include:
    299A CAN fault management
    2830 DME self test check sum
    2883 Fuel Trim Bank 2
    Within Chassis /ABS module
    5E20 Pressure Sensor 1
    5E 21 Pressure Sensor 2
    5E24 Pressure Sensors
    5E19 CAN fault From DME/DDE DSC Lamp on as long as Error is Present.
    Within Seat Memory Driver
    04 Hall Sensor, Seat Height Open Circuit
    Possibly related here is a presentation of the seat belt red light. About 3 years this light came on and turned off during a factory radio removal and radio aftermarket install. Around June of 2018 the light came on again but did not turn off. After taking to a BMW service center to see if this problem was related to the 15 year warranty issue on passenger seat mat the tech discovered the problem was not the mat but a seat belt Tensioner issue estimated repair cost at their place was around $ 500. Work not done yet as this problem has not been fully investigated for other DIY or inde fixes.
    So it seems highly probably I have several independent issues but with teeko's comment , “the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree: Service Engine Soon, DSC, Brake, EML and SES lights are illuminated”, a DME re-flash might fix many of the current problems.
    Question for teekoo.
    You said, “while others used Winkfp and performed the reflash themselves for free.”
    Is there a link that explains this re-flash process and where to obtain the re-flash code in more detail?
    I assume it may be in the link you supplied but not sure:
    Thanks again!
    PS I am waiting for hurricane Micheal to move through before I take a look at the throttle body.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Thanks again to RJ237 and tekoo for their valuable input.
    As a follow up to tekoo's last post I wanted to detail all trouble codes I have captured since acquiring a code reader. Not always does more information help but in my case in might.
    But first: I verified a few days ago that the battery is good and with the starter vehicle connected to the Z4, the Z4 post voltage read 14.5 volts.
    Back to the fault codes I highlight on day one of my ownership of the used 04 Z4 while driving back from Atlanta to NC I was presented with an intermittent presentation of the yellow brake light and triangle DCS light on instrument cluster. As then and since 2007 this presentation on the instrument cluster will go away during a long trip or will will go away after parking the vehicle for a few days. Code reader trouble code clearing was not used during this intermittent presentation of the DCS and yellow brake light.
    After purchase of a code reader (CREATOR V7.9 Plus C310+ Code Scanner for BMW Mini Multi System Scan Tool ) I then was able to capture more fault codes including:

27A1 Throttle Starting test

Within EGS module:
    3c gearbox switch P0705 ( presentation on the instrument cluster appears as yellow gear)
    This has occurred since last spring intermittently and will appear independent of cold start problem. Most often a restart will solve the problem and gear symbol goes to an inactive state. On a few occasions with gear symbol inactive and upon changing gears slowly from drive to reverse the gear symbol will light on the inst cluster, but with shut down and restart the gearbox system returns to normal. My novice opinion would indicate the gear box switch is going bad and requires replacement, or gearbox switch contact cleaning is advised, and or possibly a relationship to the DME reflash problem as teekoo described above.
    Additional DME fault codes not previously mentioned include:
    299A CAN fault management
    2830 DME self test check sum
    2883 Fuel Trim Bank 2
    5E20 Pressure Sensor 1
    5E 21 Pressure Sensor 2
    5E24 Pressure Sensors
    Possibly related here is a presentation of the seat belt red light. About 3 years this light came on and turned off during a factory radio removal and radio aftermarket install. Around June of 2018 the light came on again but did not turn off. After taking to a BMW service center to see if this problem was related to the 15 year warranty issue on passenger seat mat the tech discovered the problem was not the mat but a seat belt Tensioner issue estimated repair cost at their place was around $ 500. Work not done yet as this problem has not been fully investigated for other DIY or inde fixes.
    So it seems highly probably I have several independent issues but with teeko's comment , “the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree: Service Engine Soon, DSC, Brake, EML and SES lights are illuminated”, a DME re-flash might fix many of the current problems.
    Question for teekoo.
    You said, “while others used Winkfp and performed the reflash themselves for free.”
    Is there a link that explains this re-flash process and where to obtain the re-flash code in more detail?
    Thanks again!
    PS I am waiting for hurricane Micheal to move through before I take a look at the throttle body.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Hi, Charles. You most likely have the DME problem in this case as you have DME specific codes. All the lights and other problems including the throttle should resolve once the DME software is reflashed (excluding the seat belt tensioner which will require part purchase either new or from eBay). To update the DME software you will need to install Winkfp the flashing software which is part of the BMW standard tools. You will also need a connection to the car. The guy in the other forum that reflashed his own DME used the D-can cable that he purchased online and connected his laptop to his OBD port. The software and cable can be both acquired from BMW geeks here:
    https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads and here https://www.bimmergeeks.net/cables
    Although he was successful in his task DMEs are notorious for requiring long time to update, flash or code which creates a higher risk of error occurring due to disconnection, low battery voltage and other causes. When errors occur during firmware installation there is a big risk of the DME becoming non responsive and you loose the ability for further trials to reupload the software or use the DME again (aka turning into a brick).
    Therefore it has been advised that during DME software procedures the following must be met:
    1- The vehicle must be connected to a charger of specific parameters and quality to provide a Continous (non pulsatile) charge with equals to or more than 90 amps during the entire procedure
    2- The communication to the vehicle has to be done using an Icom device as used by the dealer. These are now sold online for about $200 range.

Some people elect to take the risk and attempt the more affordable route. Many succeed but some get in trouble.

After you install Winkfp you have to update the program with the Z4 most current software. This can be easily done using bmw coding tool and sp Daten files. All available through the link above.
    Winkfp and ECU programming require some learning but there are many material on YouTube and BMW forums (e.g bmwcoding) that explain how to and help with software installation and computer settings.

If you find this process overwhelming you can always get the software updated at the dealer. Your indie probably has it too as he owns several BMWs. Otherwise BMWgeeks and other coders offer remote coding. On the BMWcoding website there are ads for local coding services by state as well. Good luck!
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-11-2018 at 11:00 AM.

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    Thanks for all the info tekoo.When my indie did the update and reflash earlier this year he charged me $250, as he had to open the DME case. How does that compare with buying the necessary software and connection and time spent learning how to do the procedure? I'm hoping I will never need to go that deep into the system, especially since my DME is under warranty, but it sounds like useful information.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Thanks RJ237. The software is free and the D-Can cable is $20-40 depending on where you get it. Some cables from eBay don’t work and cause confusion and trouble so that’s why I provided Charles with this more reliable source. But ECS tuning sells it also. The guy from the other forum didn’t use a charger or Icom device so his total cost was $17. However this is a risk everyone needs to decide themselves if they want to take (taking into consideration the cost of a new or used DME that will be needed if the current DME gets bricked).

People are different; some accept a higher challenge and risk over others as there is great satisfaction in repairing stuff yourself and looking back to see how much you saved. My soft top motor required replacement twice in the past 5 years; first time was done at dealer for ~$2000 and second time was done by me for fraction of this cost. Was it a tedious and painful high risk process? Of course! But the satisfaction and knowledge you gain is unparalleled and all the money you save can be used for other needed repairs and upgrades. Also as our Z4s age, the financial value depreciates and the repair needs increase; it becomes unpractical to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on every repair. Many people wouldn’t afford to own a BMW if not for all the DYIs and the provided software and reference tools. That’s the beauty of German engineering. Everything is available for the DIYers and can be repaired, even the pins of electrical plugs are available and can be replaced.

Charles, there is a service advisory from BMW for Z4 owners with the DME problem that advises against repairing or trying to troubleshoot any of the DME dependent components (e.g. the throttle valve) as most of these errors and dysfunctions are caused by the defective DME and are expected to resolve instantly with the DME repair.

There is also a more advanced method for updating the DME software which eleminates many of theses risks and costs for ICOM and DC charger. This is done by removing the DME from the vehicle and soldering a specific connection cable to the micro processor on the board of the DME and loading the DME software directly to the microchip using specific computer software. Some companies (like RJ237 recommended company) that offer DME firmware update perform it that way. And some people with higher technical skills do it themselves also that way. It all depends on how much you are willing to save.
    Last edited by tekoo; 10-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles S View Post

5E20 Pressure Sensor 1
    5E 21 Pressure Sensor 2
    5E24 Pressure Sensors
    Question for teekoo.
    Thanks again!
    Hey, Charles, a simple inexpensive way to knock two items off your list is a SRS module and seat belt pretensioner reset. You can get this done quickly.
    BMW SRS & BELTS.jpg

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Many thanks to all for their responses....now to work!

My Cars
    2005 bmw z4 2007 range r
    New to this site. Have 2005 bmw z4 vin 4usbt53585Lt28044

Pls, send link to clean the throttle body.

My Cars
    2005 bmw z4 2007 range r
    New to this site. Have 2005 bmw z4 vin 4usbt53585Lt28044

Pls, send link to clean the throttle body.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Throttle body uninstall instructions
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ration/I0wstvM

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Update:

Since my last post where I began to pursue 1) reprogramming of the DME by local tech or 2) purchase of the service from DME repair companies.

As I researched I selected Module Experts in Jacksonville FL.

With a lower price of $240 to repair and reprogram (I thought) I sent my DME to them. Also, based on verbal discussion of my trouble codes and including their web site indicating they could reprogram DMEs for BMW and Mercedes, etc. I contracted with them .Additionally, they did not require the EWS.

Shortly after they received my DME I received a call and the sales person indicating I had a short in the DME requiring replacement. Ouch! So after I agreed to another $688 they returned a re manufactured DME. After install of re man DME it performed just like my original DME. I experienced the same cold start symptoms, similar check sum, ram check, failures, and throttle error codes, etc.

I later determined they reloaded the same code from my original DME to the re manufactured supplied unit. At first the sales person was resistant to issue a credit for the re man DME claiming my original DME with the short remained the reason for my cold start problem. But after discussion with the senior tech where he stated “ we do not reprogram DMEs” and discussion with a manger, Darrel, he agreed to a refund after I returned the re man DME. In hindsight a poor decision on my part that resulted in $240 loss and continued Z4 down time.

After review of my problem with RPM and ECU doctors I selected RPM Motorsports, Canada to do the work on my original DME.

I received and installed the reprogrammed DME on Tuesday 3/26 and installed the EWS and DME.

Upon first crank same presentation of cold start issues. Did a manual throttle rest and with second crank it started OK (YEA!), although it seemed to run rough. Ran a code check and saw a host of new codes, but none of the RAM check failures and throttle codes.

New codes presented:
    2786 Throttle valve potentionmeter 1
    2787 Throttle valve potentionmeter 2
    2807 Pedal position sensor
    27Bd Exhaust Camshaft activation
    2797 Idle speed control valve open
    2796 Idle speed control valve closed
    27C4 Main relay

Cleared codes.
    Restarted
    Started ok but Z4 was presenting what seemed like misfire.
    Read codes this time:

None of the above but just:
    27AA Fuel Injector Cylinder 2

2746 Misfire Cylinder 2

Added some Fuel injector cleaner and ran for 10 miles or so but misfire remained.

So thinking now I have a bad injector on Cyl 2 from possibly the car sitting too long.

Also, I have restarted on multiple successive mornings with outside temp of high 20s and low 30 s and it started OK. After clearing codes and reread I saw again:

27AA Fuel Injector Cylinder 2

2746 Misfire Cylinder 2

So the saga seems to be coming to a close with cost of $530 and the reprogramming of the DME by a company (RPM ) with the expertise to fix it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast