Thread: Help! e23 is making a grinding whining noise

My Cars
    1983 733i(rip) 2002 325i

Unhappy Help! e23 is making a grinding whining noise

Hello,
    I was out of town over the summer and gave my car to a friend so he could drive it and I wouldn't have to pay to store it. Big mistake. He gave it back to be with a huge water stain on the wood panel where the shifter is and a busted power steering pump - I even had a shop confirm that. It was making an awful whining noise that sounded like it was from the pump and had a huge hole in the return line. I replaced the line and the pump, topped her up with fluid, AND THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE. Still that awful whining at idle, or any RPM for that matter. The noise seems to get louder when I turn the steering wheel but the power steering is there. it also gets louder when I step on the brakes. The brake fluid light comes on for a second when I hit the brakes as well, then goes off almost immediately, like it's sensing a low pressure until the brakes are applied more firmly. Could these be connected? I'm scratching my head on this one. Any help is much appreciated.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Have you checked the power steering fluid? It operates brake system also, kinda sorta- on a pump R&R you'll loose most of the fluid, but when filling it back most of that goes back into the system. Pop that cover off and check fluid, bet it's low, also a good idea to replace that filter/screen in there too.

My Cars
    1983 733i(rip) 2002 325i
    I checked it right after I shut the car off, and it's at the same level as when I had filled it. Is there maybe like a switch or something keeping the fluid from circulating? I know these cars have some sort of weird solenoid thing on the power steering system, but I don't know how it works.

My Cars
    '85 735i, '75 CS
    I’d suggest a full belt change. Part of your existing noise problem might be related to your power steering pump belt. Changing all 4 is quite simple and inexpensive – I just did so as my power steering belt was squealing as you described. Also, you can cut off 1 old belt at a time, start the car each time, and see if the PS pump, alternator, A/C, or clutch fan is guilty – or something else. Good luck.

I just bought the Contitech belts as follows – alternator 13x1055mm, PS pump 10x913mm, fan 13x1055, A/C 13x810mm (calls for 800mm but is a hard fit, 810 is better).