Thread: 2011 128i wheel speed sensor caused limp mode mechanic suggests replacing ALL sensors

My Cars
    BMW 128i 2011

2011 128i wheel speed sensor caused limp mode mechanic suggests replacing ALL sensors

Hello all , been frequenting these forums for years finally made an account today to ask whats in the title.

i recently purchased a 2011 128i while driving the abs light and all the others came on and it went into limp mode. Took it to a renowned mechanic shop locally and they ran the scanners.
    Came back as a bad wheel speed sensor which they said caused my vehicle to go into limp mode. I asked why we cant fix just the bad one and the owner said once one goes bad they all go bad after being driven fora little while. So i set an appt to have all 4 replaced as advised just wanted to double check on here with you guys because it is going to cost 600 dollars

thank you for any help

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    He’s full of crap. You need to replace the bad sensor. Find a reputable indie shop in your area at www.bimrs.org.

My Cars
    1991 325ix

speed sensors

Quote Originally Posted by dontforgetthis View Post
    Hello all , been frequenting these forums for years finally made an account today to ask whats in the title.

i recently purchased a 2011 128i while driving the abs light and all the others came on and it went into limp mode. Took it to a renowned mechanic shop locally and they ran the scanners.
    Came back as a bad wheel speed sensor which they said caused my vehicle to go into limp mode. I asked why we cant fix just the bad one and the owner said once one goes bad they all go bad after being driven fora little while. So i set an appt to have all 4 replaced as advised just wanted to double check on here with you guys because it is going to cost 600 dollars

thank you for any help
    You may want to consider changing just the bad sensor and the one on the opposite side. I recently had this done and it solved my problem similar to yours. If this doesn't work you can always do the other two later. You may also want to consider saving the labor costs. Replacing a speed sensor is easier than changing your oil or a headlight blub.

My Cars
    BMW 128i 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    He’s full of crap. You need to replace the bad sensor. Find a reputable indie shop in your area at www.bimrs.org.
    Thank you for responding , didn't see a reply all that day so haven't been checking. Glad to see responses on this because it could save me hundreds. So that is bull crap and the owner just said that to inflate his bottom line? It did sound weird that one sensor could cause all 4 to go bad but i'm just going to have him replace the two back ones then?

glad to have a forum where i can match information and get feedback from unbiased sources. Also that website for trusted mechanics shows none in Jacksonville , fl that is not a good sign lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JIM1inWisconsin View Post
    You may want to consider changing just the bad sensor and the one on the opposite side. I recently had this done and it solved my problem similar to yours. If this doesn't work you can always do the other two later. You may also want to consider saving the labor costs. Replacing a speed sensor is easier than changing your oil or a headlight blub.
    i'm going to do this then , just get the back two replaced. I would want it professionally done because im not mechanically proficient and i dont have the tools. Last time i tried a DIY on a bmw it cost me double do to a mess up lol. Also there is a ses and abs light i need cleared as well

and yes if that doesn't fix the issue i can always have the other 2 replaced
    Last edited by dontforgetthis; 10-08-2018 at 04:51 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Make sure the new sensor(s) is made by the company that supplies the sensors to BMW. Don’t skimp on sensors.