Thread: Clutch or tranny

My Cars
    1992 325 manual

Clutch or tranny

Hello this is my first e36 and I'm having some issues. IVs been reading around, but I can't seem to find an answer to my problem. So I've had this checked by three mechanics, two of them say its the clutch and one says its my tranny going out. So I have a 1992 325 sedan with 200k and its a manual. So at first there was some chatter when in neutral but it went away when I pressed the clutch, it was this way for about 100 miles. After this the car did good at high speeds, but when in first or idle the car started to shake and I heard a noise coming from under neath. Later when I stopped at a gas station the car wouldn't go in reverse and still made the shaking and shattering when in neutral or clutch released. Now the car locked up and I can't really move it back or forward even in neutral. We had to put the car in gear and press the clutch a little and the gas at the same time and push it for it even to butch a little. The rear wheels are locked up on the ground but will spin when lifted.
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    You have a clutch (throw out bearing/pressure plate) problem for sure.

Is something else broken as a result (the shaking I can’t explain really)? Who knows, maybe... either way the trans has to come out and then it will be pretty clear what it is.

My Cars
    1992 325 manual
    Thanks. Is it normal for a bad clutch to keep me from going into gear?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Yes, if the hydraulics (i think you’re in the clear), pressure plate or throwout bearing are gone, you won’t be able to disengage the trans from the engine and get the car into gear...

Now, I will give you an easy test to check if trans is OK (although not the nicest thing for the starter... let it breathe for a minute between tests):

With car off and in a wide open area where you wont mow someone down or hit something, put it into gear of choice (start with first). If it goes in, things are already looking good for the trans itself. Put the ebrake down and crank it: if the trans is fine, the car should try to take off... in the higher gears it should at least lurch forward. Btw, yes your car will start without clutch being pressed down, it’s normal.

If it will move under the power of the starter in all gears, transmission is fine, you just need a new clutch setup.

My Cars
    1992 325 manual
    Alright thanks for the help. One more thing, I can't move the car because the back is locked up. I can put the car into all gears in it feels as if power is not getting through, and if I take out the clutch the car will turn off

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    This is not a clutch issue. If your tranny is in neutral and will not allow the wheels to turn, this is a transmission issue. Sounds like you started off with a failing input shaft bearing which has now lead to a tranny failure. Disconnect the driveshaft from the rear differential and you will be able to move the car. Then the tranny has to come out.
    Last edited by 66 6; 10-03-2018 at 09:31 AM.

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    slocar, later E36s have a clutch safety switch. Engine won't crank without pushing in the clutch. You can disconnect the harness and bypass it though.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    He has a very early car, an NV in fact. No clutch interlock switch. If you can't shift it with the engine turned off, or if it still will not roll with the transmission in neutral then your transmission is toast. I had an output bearing fail in a G250 and lock up the wheels.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    1992 325 manual
    I can change the gears no problem but the car won't go and is stuck. Thanks for the help

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Quote Originally Posted by jc43089 View Post
    He has a very early car, an NV in fact. No clutch interlock switch. If you can't shift it with the engine turned off, or if it still will not roll with the transmission in neutral then your transmission is toast. I had an output bearing fail in a G250 and lock up the wheels.
    I didn't even think to look to see if he had his car listed. Good catch. My bad.

Sent from the dark side of the Moon

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by isaiperez1459 View Post
    I can change the gears no problem but the car won't go and is stuck. Thanks for the help

If with the engine off and transmission in neutral the car won't roll then the transmission is locked up.

If it rolls in neutral but you can only shift into gears with the engine off but not when it is running then your clutch is not disengaging.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    1992 325 manual
    Thanks for the help, its the tranny

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Well.. realistically, it could be a broke differential, locked up axles,brakes, completely seized bearing. It is not necessarily the transmission. You should inspect better.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by isaiperez1459 View Post

Same thing happened to me once. Turned out to be stuck parking brake shoes. Jack the rear end up and try spinning the wheels by hand with the car in neutral.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XnWarden; 10-07-2018 at 02:49 PM.