Thread: What to do with my touring?

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW

What to do with my touring?

Well, my Son has backed off of wanting my touring. 380,000 miles on her and drives like she's on rails,,car looks like it's been pampered all of her life. Engine has about 150kmiles along with the trans. Only pitfall is the cats. Tires are good and it drives fine around town and short trips, out on the interstate is where things can start to get a bit haywirer ...No dealership will take her because of the miles , and she's too nice to drive to the junk yard crusher
    Perplexed

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    See if Bimmrmeupsnotty wants it. His touring just met a tragic ending.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    There's always a donation to PBS or the local Humane Society. Once they sell it, you'll get a receipt for the amount.

Better than trying to sell it out of your house.
    Last edited by edjack; 10-01-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    z3
    How much do you want for it?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    500.00 ?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    500.00 ?
    Where are you located?
    2003 530i M Sport [Black Sapphire Metallic & Sand Interior]

IMG_1075 by Alex Wilson Photography, on Flickr

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1823alex View Post
    Where are you located?
    Martinsville, VA.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    z3
    I'd give it to you in a heartbeat if you were local... Arizona is quite a drive though

Throw it on craigslist for $1k, take the first $500 offer you get

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    See if Bimmrmeupsnotty wants it. His touring just met a tragic ending.
    Agreed,this

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Martinsville, VA.
    I'd take it too but I'm in northern Illinois, closer than Arizona but still kind of a drive and I don't have a trailer.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Poolman, I’d take it, but I have another deal going on right now with Jaxplanet’s old green wagon. But..... I’ll send you a pm, I might have someone interested. Send me details.
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 10-02-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Car has 380,000 mile. Engine has 150k along with trans. Bilstien HD shocks and struts and working great, no thumps. The front wheel bearings are done along with the bushings and all heavy duty stuff. The rear Subframe bushings are about a year old. Has a M rear sway bar,,car handles like it's on rails. Brakes are about 2 years old, all four rotor's were rep-laced at that time. The car looks great, no damage, no rust. The car needs cats. You might drive it 300 miles and then a code be thrown and shut off the #2 bank for fuel. Reset and then drive another 3 or 400 before happening again. Tires have about another 15 to 20k miles left on em. Spare tire is brand new, and the same one that came with the car, never been out to be used. This car is quiet when driving her around, I took special care of making her that way. This auto was my daily driver for my business making sales calls around three states.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    What model wagon is it? Can you provide the VIN number for it as well?

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    2003 model, I bought it new in Greensboro NV. Forgot to add, new air compressor for the AC installed last year. BMUPSnotty has checked in with me on taking the car .
    Last edited by Poolman; 10-03-2018 at 04:39 PM.

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Bimmrupsnotty just took ownership of the Touring and is headed home,,4 hour drive. Should do fine and hope that all is well. Hate to see her go, but to many cars and not enough time to try for hot rodding her,,good to see her headed to a good home. Thanks to all for all the posts in helping in getting the large amount of miles and years of happy motoring,,Poolman

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Wow...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I forgot about this second thread. Thought I was going nuts.... we’ll, I already have, but I had posted about the ride home in the other thread, over on the wagon pages. Drove out to Poolman’s place Sunday morning, long drive, but not a bad drive, picked up the wagon, the car does handle like it is on rails, those Bilstein HD’s are super stiff, it is a little harsh when going city slow speeds, but it does shine out on the highway, especially up in the twisty mountain roads, which I took on the way home. The engine is super smooth, and pulls harder than the other 525’s that I have driven, the M56 valve cover that Poolman converted to seems to work really well. I was cruising at 80 to a 100 most of the way home, car runs like a champ. Never had to pull over to reset the cats, but I did pull over a few times to run in and take a wiz.... haha! Getting old sure is no fun.

The car does have a slight rattle from the burnt up cats, drove the car in to work today, went home for lunch, on the way back, there was a new rattle. It was significant, exhaust pipe rubbing on the body, right behind the front seats. At the end of the day, I threw the car up on the lift, there is an oil leak, valve cover is my bet, it is coming from up high. But I’m thinking also might be a leak down low, like maybe from the oil pan. Checked for the rattle, found a few things. Cross member that supports the exhaust pipe right where I suspected it to be coming from, had one bolt missing, and the other one on the same side was an eighth of an inch loose, the other two on the other side were tight.
    There was another rattle, as I was tapping the exhaust with a dead blow hammer, one of the oxegen sensors were loose. Tightened that, another small rattle, the heat shield, where it goes onto the bolt that holds the front sway bar to the subframe, nut that holds the heat shield down was gone. Loosened up the fender liner, peeled it off a bit to gain access to the bolt from the sway bar bracket, put a nut on and tightened that down, heat shield is now secured, and now only dreaming of rattling, dream on sucker. Car was quieter than hell on the way home tonight. It really drives really well.

I went into both rear doors yesterday, had to shore up the stupid vapor barriers..... yes, the rear floors were wet, it is an E39 after all. The one miracle, all the windows roll up and down!!! I vacuumed up the water from the carpets, pulled the rear seats, peeled the carpets forwards, vacuumed up the rest of the water, inspected the modules down there, hosed them down with WD40, blasted them out with compressed air, applied dialectic grease on every connection, blasted the floor boards with two of my turbine fans for a few hours, all dry now. When I get a chance, I will go into the front doors and redo those vapor barriers, front area is dry, but I want to get my eyeballs on the front electrical crap under the carpets as soon as possible, TIME, need more of it, I did make time to stop and pick up some lottery tickets, $560,000,000 tonight, probably won’t win a dime, but what if!!!!
    For a $500 E39 wagon, the car is not bad at all, Thanks Poolman!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Awesome. Nice E39 BimFo family story.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Awesome. Nice E39 BimFo family story.
    +1.
    Feel better that BimmerUpSnotty has this car, and will be taken care of.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    The drive shaft was reworked about a year ago. Both front seats, had the cables fixed from where they were not working with the electrics,,don't want to do that again. Just a couple of things I forgot to mention on the car when we met. Hope ya get another 100,000 or better out of her

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    On the oil leaking. Might look else where on that leak. I wouldn't mess with that valve cover. That is the M56 all aluminum cover with an expensive gasket and it's been installed with the right stuff to make sure it didn't leak. If you try to take it off, do so gently and slowly and then allow plenty of time for cleaning the mess up. They don't call that product, the Right Stuff for nothing. I'm thinking there might be an oil leak around the oil pan , mabe on the passengers side in the front of the engine. I had fixed the oil leak from the oil filter housing, just over a year ago.