Thread: 2008 E60 - A/C - Engine Overheating Problem

My Cars
    08-E60-528i

2008 E60 - A/C - Engine Overheating Problem

Hey guys,

I have strange problem in my 2008 528i N52 car relating to A/C and overheating. It happened randomly but my car seems to overheat sometimes. First, here are the symptoms:

• A/C blows cold only when driving above 20mph, otherwise does not blow cold air, but rather air from outside as if compressor is not working.
    • A/C blows hot and cold, but blows 10-15% less air volume from the vents(especially from side vents, not center), no matter the blower setting.
    • Car overheats in traffic sometimes (goes up to 118-119 Celsius in traffic) but once driving goes down to normal range of 105-112 Celsius.
    • Testing engine fan, if engine is not warmed up, turns on with A/C and works perfectly.
    • Testing engine fan, it engine is warmed up and have been driven, does not turn on the fan, and car begins to overheat.
    • Engine fan sometimes turns on max when braking from freeway, as if the braking causes the fan to turn on which is very strange.

This all started out of random where A/C in town just would not work and I overheated (yellow warning) in town. About 10k miles ago I replaced the water pump, thermostat and coolant. No coolant leak from what I see, and the pump test is working. Also I read about the temperature switch on the front of the engine, I changed it and still the same symptoms, seems no change. I do not have the temperature switch on the lower coolant hose as other engine types, so I think that is out of the question. I found a similar thread but could not find a solution on there.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it the engine fan? I am planning to get a scan of the system since OBD2 isn't pulling the codes.

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    You need to get the error codes pulled with a BMW compatable OBD code reader, something like Carly for BMW or one of the PC based software packages like ISTA, INPA, NCSexpert or on of the other BMW property programs. Or pay an Indy or dealership to pull the codes. Last thing you want to do is start throwing parts at it. An auxiliary cooling fan is over $400 and may not be your problem...
    Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 10-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.

My Cars
    08-E60-528i
    Possible Code - Freeze Frame.jpg
    Okay, so I got a scanner and my computer finally to work (it is such a tedious process!)

This is what I got, apologies for it being in German it seems to be only in the engine module of INPA, but it is basically a code for 2EFF Elektrolufter, Eigendiagnose; and in English below it says P14C0 Fan Mechanical or Hardware defect.

I have read that this code is either the Electrical Fan or some have suggested it may also be a water-pump issue on other threads? I am leaning towards the electrical fan because I just replaced my water-pump under 10k miles ago. Am I correct to rule out the pump? Anyone had any experiences with this code??

My Cars
    e30, e61
    Your symptoms are consistent with it being a fan-related problem.

My Cars
    If the fault code specifically states the electric fan, then it sounds like that is the problem. The water pump fault codes are usually "speed deviation", "electric coolant pump cutoff" or something like that.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    08-E60-528i
    Yea, electrolufter is electrical fan based on what I googled. Tomorrow I will try and use the INPA testing function to see if I can turn on the electrical fan and make it run. I am also going to look into ordering a new fan and will update to see how it goes.

My Cars
    08-E60-528i
    I ordered a replacement aftermarket cooling fan and decided to give it a try, its called CoolXPert from fcpeuro. I took off the old fan, put the new one in and went for a test drive, and it seems to be working!! A/C blows when idle again and the car does not overheat (although blows soft from side vents but that is another problem I think). I will still need to test it in traffic and scan to see if the error is still there, so I will update but it looks promising!

My Cars
    e30, e61
    Awesome! Glad to hear it.