Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New budget-friendly front BBK! AAS Brembo Street Kit is live

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans

New budget-friendly front BBK! AAS Brembo Street Kit is live

Worth starting a new thread, since the 996 kit has been abandoned.

Angry Ass BMW is proud to announce that we are live with a new Street BBK: https://www.angryasssolutions.com/parts/stage-1-bbk

Using OEM BMW off-the-shelf calipers, rotors, and longer caliper bolts, we provide stainless steel caliper mounting spacers and thread lock: bolting up a modern, aluminum 4 piston Brembo and true 2-piece 340x30mm floating rotor is that easy!

These Brembo calipers offer advantages in construction, availability, and affordability compared to the increasingly rare E31 Brembo, and the weight is halved compared to the ATE 4 pistons calipers of the late-M5/850CSI. Just like these aforementioned caliper alternatives, our Brembos adjust bias slightly to the rear for a more performance-oriented setup.

Rotor-wise, the 340x30mm aluminum 2 piece disc is nearly the same size as the late-M5/850CSI rotor, but vastly more available to US buyers, and cheaper to boot. Compared to the heavy, 1-piece E31 324mm rotor, our modern rotor is a similar cost but wins the size and thermal expansion battles!

We expect we will beat any other online price source in pricing for these OEM components.

We are also ordering stainless steel brake lines that can be ordered, and have also just gone live with USA-made MSI stud conversion kits! https://www.angryasssolutions.com/pa...conversion-kit

What’s not to love?
    Not all 17” wheels fit.

We have confirmed M Systems fit with barrel room to spare, without a spacer.
    Common aftermarket race wheels, such as Apex brand wheels, will likely fit as they are clearanced specifically for BBKs.

Common OEM 17” wheels like the 2-piece Style 5 do not fit, due to lack of barrel clearance.

Additionally, our rotors do not have provision for E34 M5 hub lugs. We can offer a milling service for any M5 customers, to correctly bore out those holes in the rotor hat (additional fee and lead time required).

Post up or PM any questions! Potential discount details below...
    We’ve sold our first few kits to happy customers. Let us know if we can answer any questions about kit specifics!

We are also offering a 20% discount on our Option 1 kit to the first buyer who will install this kit on any of the following chassis, which we believe share fitment with the E34:
    - E24
    - E28
    - E32

We will fully support customers trying the kit on these chassis, in the event that tweaking is needed! Refunds and paid return shipping will be taken care of as needed, to mitigate risk on the customer end. Help us help you!
    Last edited by BleedsBlue; 10-01-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Can’t love this enough.
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    I admire this greatly, and I'm very glad to see development for E34 junkies!

...but I can't help but wonder where the 'budget' part is.

ECS will sell you a complete E31 BBK for less than your complete kit in option 4, which for people like me is the reference point. E31s score big by fitting under style 5s for me as well.

I'd be curious to compare feel and braking between the two.
    Last edited by tantumaude; 10-02-2018 at 05:40 PM.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by tantumaude View Post
    I admire this greatly, and I'm very glad to see development for E34 junkies!

...but I can't help but wonder where the 'budget' part is.

ECS will sell you a complete E31 BBK for less than your complete kit in option 4, which for people like me is the reference point. E31s score big by fitting under style 5s for me as well.

I'd be curious to compare feel and braking between the two.
    This set-up on my car was essentially our option 1 ($55) and some lightly used calipers and rotors from Craigslist, sourced locally.

My all-in cost was $400 - Rotors, calipers, pads, and adapters.

I've not seen E31 Brembos, by themselves, sell for less than $600/pair recently, and that was sans rotors, and in poor shape to boot!

We offer the OEM parts new, at a cheaper price than ECS offers the same parts, just to make it easy for the customer. But we expect many will source their own hardware, and for the first two sales of this kit, that is exactly what happened. That's where the budget comes in

That said... our goal is never simply to be cheapest. Let's face it, on a lot of our products, we won't have competition. Our true BBK kit involves 6 piston AP Racing RadiCal calipers, bespoke rotor hats, etc, at near $4,000. At right around $1500, it is hard to find a 4 piston Brembo setup with true two-piece rotors. We mention the E31 Brembo option in our write-up because it's still a valid option, but as noted we pair a more modern caliper with a larger, more efficient rotor.

And hey, we appreciate the kind words from a fellow E34 nut!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    This set-up on my car was essentially our option 1 ($55) and some lightly used calipers and rotors from Craigslist, sourced locally.

My all-in cost was $400 - Rotors, calipers, pads, and adapters.

I've not seen E31 Brembos, by themselves, sell for less than $600/pair recently, and that was sans rotors, and in poor shape to boot!

We offer the OEM parts new, at a cheaper price than ECS offers the same parts, just to make it easy for the customer. But we expect many will source their own hardware, and for the first two sales of this kit, that is exactly what happened. That's where the budget comes in

That said... our goal is never simply to be cheapest. Let's face it, on a lot of our products, we won't have competition. Our true BBK kit involves 6 piston AP Racing RadiCal calipers, bespoke rotor hats, etc, at near $4,000. At right around $1500, it is hard to find a 4 piston Brembo setup with true two-piece rotors. We mention the E31 Brembo option in our write-up because it's still a valid option, but as noted we pair a more modern caliper with a larger, more efficient rotor.

And hey, we appreciate the kind words from a fellow E34 nut!
    Very cool. On the hunt for some of those 335i calipers.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    E34 525i
    so what about rear brake options with this? cause ive been very interested in a nice brake setup for ages.
    Last edited by Hofmeister; 10-03-2018 at 11:12 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Just ordered the kit.
    We will se how this will work with the e31

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by TGreene View Post
    Very cool. On the hunt for some of those 335i calipers.
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmeister View Post
    so what about rear brake options with this? cause ive been very interested in a nice brake setup for ages.
    We are developing a rear brake upgrade. It will ape the late-M5/850CSI rear, of a 328mm rotor and sliding caliper (easy to retain the handbrake with this setup); but considering those parts are very hard to find, we’ll be providing a unique upgrade.

The rear upgrade is targeted more towards our 6 piston AP Racing race front setup, which overwhelms ABS and the front tires even with 245 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s! Our street kit actually shifts some bias rearwards - of course a larger rear is still advantageous, but not as important.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    Just ordered the kit.
    We will se how this will work with the e31
    Wooooooo! Your order will hit the post tomorrow.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but where does one source the calipers needed for the kit? Seems like a pretty attractive option if the parts can be sourced cheaply. I was planning on doing a 540i brake conversion but this could be cool too.

Any chance you might port it over to the E39? There's a serious lack of budget BBK options in the E39 world.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but where does one source the calipers needed for the kit? Seems like a pretty attractive option if the parts can be sourced cheaply. I was planning on doing a 540i brake conversion but this could be cool too.

Any chance you might port it over to the E39? There's a serious lack of budget BBK options in the E39 world.
    Hey Danny, you can source them used on your own, via Craigslist, eBay, etc; or, new via online or brick-and-mortar dealers, but at that point, we offer the calipers cheaper than any other supplier (at least that we've found).

The E39 has that troublesome, random, unique larger hub diameter! Come to think of it, you are right about the "budget" aspect; I see lots of E39 Ms with BBKs but they are usually your Brembo or Stoptech big-dollar items.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Rockauto also sells the calipers rebuilt for about $250 each, that includes the core charge in them. I did the full M-Performance upgrade on mt old F30 for like $1000. Luckily I kept my old 335i calipers so I am set pretty good.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    ^Good info!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Something that dawned on me as I was taking apart my F30 calipers that would benefit thoes pursuing this upgrade. The F30 places the calipers in the rear and the E34 places them in the front so you will need to swap LH and RH sides so the bleeder screw is on top in order to properly bleed the calipers.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    That is a good clarification in case one is not familiar with typical 4-piston calipers, for sure. Nipples always up!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    That is a good clarification in case one is not familiar with typical 4-piston calipers, for sure. Nipples always up!
    Not sure if I can laugh. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Ahem...

We can’t keep these extended bolts in stock, we’ve had so many orders! I expect to start seeing many more E34s on the interwebz rocking these great brakes.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Really? That many ordering those?

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Do these clear e38 style 32s ?
    I checked the link and don’t see details on what calipers and rotors we need to source ? Are these 335i rotors and calipers / carriers ?
    Last edited by 84318i; 10-28-2018 at 10:35 PM.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    Really? That many ordering those?
    Yes, we are surprised but happy.

Quote Originally Posted by 84318i View Post
    Do these clear e38 style 32s ?
    I checked the link and don’t see details on what calipers and rotors we need to source ? Are these 335i rotors and calipers / carriers ?
    What size/offset are E38 Style 32s? I think we will start providing a printable template for people to check clearances.

We offer the calipers and rotors new, for the best price online. If you are sourcing them yourself, we can provide P/Ns since there are several variations of 335i rotors and calipers - but in a word, yes they are regular F30 335i 4 piston calipers (there is no carrier) and 340mm rotors.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Hi Brent , style 32s are 17x8 front (17x9 rear) offset is 20 on the fronts .

Thank you

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by 84318i View Post
    Hi Brent , style 32s are 17x8 front (17x9 rear) offset is 20 on the fronts .

Thank you
    Cool - we have not had good luck with most 17s, so it would come down to inner barrel clearance. We're working on a template you could print out to check in any given wheel, since this question keeps coming up. Stay tuned on that; otherwise, we have confirmed M Systems fit. And obviously 18s.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Cool - we have not had good luck with most 17s, so it would come down to inner barrel clearance. We're working on a template you could print out to check in any given wheel, since this question keeps coming up. Stay tuned on that; otherwise, we have confirmed M Systems fit. And obviously 18s.
    Awesome , I’ll wait for it .
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    17" Style 138s clear easily.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
    17" Style 138s clear easily.
    My hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW 850
    how about pics of those who have mounted them?
    I am just working on caliper purchase

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast