Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Amp Alternatives

My Cars
    1994 325i

Amp Alternatives

I have a 1994 325i which came with the non-HK Stereo. I’ve been buying the HK stuff to upgrade the sound and to be honest I was very impressed. At the moment I have an Alpine Bluetooth headunit, the HK Amp and 6X9s in the rear deck. Everything has been working great for a few months until just now. I just in the car to take a ride and the stereo wasn’t putting out any sound but everything else appeared to be normal. I’m assuming that the amp is shot. I’ll confirm by throwing my non-HK back in tomorrow. Anyhow, I was wondering if there was an alternative like an aftermarket amp that I can use the factory wiring. Or something where I don’t have to run all new cables and or don’t have to cut into the factory harness. I’ve installed several stereos in my time so it’s not the lack of knowledge that is preventing from upgrading to something altogether different. It’s just that I’d really like to keep the car as factory as possible. Know that I think of it, I might look into the Bavsound amp (if it’s possible to buy it by itself). I’ve also thought about taking the HK Amp to get repaired but my only concern with that is if my Alpine HU lead to the HK Amps demise and will it happen again. Thanks for any information!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    A quality amp will work just fine. I recommend you buy an amp that has enough channels to power all of the speakers, including the subs. However, I believe the HK amp has built in crossovers. So, if you replace the HK amp with an aftermarket amp you’ll need to add crossovers.