Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Heater Control Valve Already Leaking

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633

New Heater Control Valve Already Leaking

I installed a new heater control valve, 64118391417, about six or seven months ago and it is already leaking from one of the 90 deg elbows. The darn plastic fitting just slipped right off. It wasn't glued or threaded on, but it had some very tiny locking ridges that didn't hold it place tight enough to stay sealed. Weird.

I am tempted to glue the fitting back on but I am not sure what glue would stick to what appears to be some type of graphite impregnated plastic.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Attachment 637783
    Attachment 637784
    Attachment 637785
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Is that original BMW , Bosch, Hella or a cheap chinese copy? Sounds like a copy because I heard from a similar problem on a U.K. forum, Timm will remember.
    Info I posted here
    here it looked promising http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1260571
    some days later problems http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1261839
    and his details for the aux water pump desaster from China http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1262170
    pics aux water pump http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1262171

I would not glue anything there, too dangerous, if that connection brakes off completely when you are driving the engine will lose coolant quickly and there is danger of headgasket failure.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Is that original BMW , Bosch, Hella or a cheap chinese copy? Sounds like a copy because I heard from a similar problem on a U.K. forum, Timm will remember.
    Info I posted here
    here it looked promising http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1260571
    some days later problems http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1261839
    and his details for the aux water pump desaster from China http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1262170
    pics aux water pump http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1262171

I would not glue anything there, too dangerous, if that connection brakes off completely when you are driving the engine will lose coolant quickly and there is danger of headgasket failure.
    Shogun, I read through the articles you provided links to and exactly same problem, 'interference fit' just was not tight enough for fitting to stay in place and seal.

Its not a Bosch or Hella, probably a Chinese knock-off. Its odd that the elbow fitting slipped out of its socket. It didn't break off. The tiny tabs that are suppose to lock it in place were too small to the fitting simply popped loose. This fitting is on the side of the assembly and hose goes to firewall. So I didn't lose much fluid and was able to drive several miles back to my house. Temp gauge never moved off center.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Thread copied from the E31 forum to E32 forum, just for info about chinese knock-off heater valve problems and aux water pump failures.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    today posted by JDP530 in the E31 forum, for info: I just used some epoxy plastic bonder and glued the elbow back on. Its just a slip or interference fit so plastic was not cracked or broken. Elbow just popped out of its socket. I had already ordered another knock-off but so far the the one I repaired is working without leaking. I guess I will keep a spare in my trunk because its easy enough to change.

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Save the headache next time, buy the genuine bosch part from FCPeuro for 90$, and never worry about again as they lifetime warranty the part.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP530 View Post
    I installed a new heater control valve, 64118391417, about six or seven months ago and it is already leaking from one of the 90 deg elbows. The darn plastic fitting just slipped right off. It wasn't glued or threaded on, but it had some very tiny locking ridges that didn't hold it place tight enough to stay sealed. Weird.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    from my experience, most of the rubber hoses nowadays need a little tightening after a few cycles of heating and cooling, weird, but I give the clamps a little squeeze. The funny thing is that on the honda it is a self tightening spring clamp and those even with non oem hoses I did not have to do anything in 15 years but I used permatex #2. Same on the Jeep.

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    It helps a little to bend up the tail end of the worm clamp a little. Helps prevent backing off.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by youngbimmer View Post
    Save the headache next time, buy the genuine bosch part from FCPeuro for 90$, and never worry about again as they lifetime warranty the part.
    that was 10 years ago, price went up drastically, nowadays they cost $539.05!! at FCPEURO, Heater Valve Genuine BMW 64118391417, probably as long as stock lasts, because ECS, Turner and Pelican mention for this Bosch valve: (NLA)

So we have to use in future China made ones and we can only hope that they improve. On the German forum I read already about some cases where they installed them and they work. Probably they are not all made in the same factory in China and quality might be different, so please, if you bought one, let us know your experience, good or bad, what were they problems....,seller or brand name ..
    examples: I just found on walmart website: TOPAZ 64118391417 Heater Control Valve for BMW $71.68, free shipping. Sold & shipped byBAPMIC AUTO PARTS INC, this Topaz brand is also sold in Germany and Japan for a similar price.
    Amazon UK: Folconroad "brand"

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    that was 10 years ago, price went up drastically, nowadays they cost $539.05!! at FCPEURO, Heater Valve Genuine BMW 64118391417, probably as long as stock lasts, because ECS, Turner and Pelican mention for this Bosch valve: (NLA)

So we have to use in future China made ones and we can only hope that they improve. On the German forum I read already about some cases where they installed them and they work. Probably they are not all made in the same factory in China and quality might be different, so please, if you bought one, let us know your experience, good or bad, what were they problems....,seller or brand name ..
    examples: I just found on walmart website: TOPAZ 64118391417 Heater Control Valve for BMW $71.68, free shipping. Sold & shipped byBAPMIC AUTO PARTS INC, this Topaz brand is also sold in Germany and Japan for a similar price.
    Amazon UK: Folconroad "brand"
    I just checked my old FCP order from last year, I paid 115$ for the Bosch branded heater valve. Unfortunately FCP no longer carries the part.

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    I haven't had anymore problems with the knock-off valve I bought on amazon once I glued the elbow back on and I also ran a bead of glue around the second elbow to keep it from coming loose. Pump failed after warranty so I bought a second pump to keep in the car for out of town trips.
    Attachment 650040
    Attachment 650041

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    copied from the E31 forum for info. On Ebay seller partscontainer is offering: New for BMW E31 E32 E34 5 &7 &8-Series HVAC Heater Control Valve Bosch, Limited Time Special Offer! OSD# D50-D-64118391417 US $129.93, More than 10 available / 8 sold
    comments: Bert: Just received the heater valve from this retailer and the unit is likely not manufactured by Bosch. Was hoping for the genuine article, but obviously not. Does not have any Bosch markings anywhere on the valve, on the original Bosch valves, there should be ‘Bosch’ stamped on top of both metal cylinders. Also not packaged in the usual Bosch logo containers but in a generic white box. Will probably return it for a refund.
    -------------------
    henryc: I just received one of these Bosch valves myself from that e-bay seller. It is genuine Bosch although it came in a white generic box- a style of box that was probably supplied to OEM parts depots. Look for this number on the part you received - "1147412042" then right next to it in a circle "442". These are Bosch manufacturing designations.
    ----------------
    Yeah, those numbers are on my valve as well. Does your’s have the name ‘Bosch’ engraved atop both our the metal cylinders? The last one I bought back in 2014 had the Bosch markings. Bert
    ---------------------
    henryc: No, Bosch not engraved on the cylinders on mine. I'm not surprised as these units may be (hopefully) newer production than the unit you bought in 2014 and the supplier of the cylinders could have been changed by Bosch. Sometimes units ear-marked for service parts (shipped to the BMW Dingolfing Parts Depot) may not have Bosch engraved on the parts at the request of BMW Service Parts Purchasing, but the dead give-away these are Bosch are the numbers I listed earlier.
    Of course, these could very well be knockoffs with the numbers that indicate Bosch, but after I did a close examination the quality seems too good to be a knockoff. I'm keeping mine for a future need.

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci

It seems over the last few years the price for E31 parts when to the stratosphere and the heater valve is one of them. I believe the OE price is around USD 450+. So what to do when yours fail?

The most common failure mode is the failure of the rubber seals or debris causing the valves to leak. For this there are already a DIY on how to fix that. Keep in mind while the E31 is not explicitly listed the repair kit (basically the rubbers and brass plungers) are available on fleabay, often listed for E36, E38 E39 etc...

However as these parts age sometimes the fault is terminal, most often is an actual break of the plastic inlet or outlet barbs as the plastic become brittle. Water leakage from bad rubber seals could also see the solenoids corroded beyond repair. The repair kits are not going to fix that.

In these threads:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...lready-Leaking
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-heater-valves
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Control-Valve

members were lamenting the quality of the aftermarket units and I managed to see an ebay supplier spruiking what was claimed as a Bosch unit. My friend needed one so I bought one to compare with a new genuine Bosch unit I had stashed away years ago.

What follows will be a long series of posts as we do a teardown and comparsion between the two and hopefully put an end to this saga. The cliff notes version is below:

In my opinion (I don't want to be sued in case I'm wrong)
    1. The ebay unit is most likely NOT a Bosch unit as claimed. May be a Bosch contractor at best, we'll talk a bit more about this at the end.
    2. The actual quality of the components are pretty good with a couple exceptions
    3. The assembly staff needs to be shot (QA issues, as usual)
    4. Good enough to be used if inspected first
    5. Most interestingly, you could use it as parts to resurrect your genuine unit.

I know I could break out the RLC bridge and load cells and go deeper into the solenoids, but seeing my friend will probably object to a mildly destructive test, a visual comparison is where this will end.

1. Box - The white box and bubble wrap doesn't inspire much confidence that it’s a Bosch unit, but stranger things have happened in the parts business.

Attachment 652740Attachment 652741

2. Doesn't look too bad, here's a few side by sides, Genuine Bosch on the left.

Attachment 652742Attachment 652743Attachment 652744

The plastic used for the dry upper (as installed) half is definitely glass fibre ABS so that’s good, just like the Bosch unit. Though whether its 20, 30 or 35% GF I'm not able to tell.

The plastic for the wet or lower half is harder to tell, looks like the mould was bead blasted so there are no surface blemishes to tell GF reinforcement easily. In any case I found a hidden spot and cut a little out later in the teardown and found that it is also GF reinforced ABS, so that’s good too.

Interesting to note that the disposable port covers looks identical, even the mould number are at the same place. But as these are usually externally supplied parts and we throw them away as soon as they're out of the box it doesn’t tell us much in itself.

Ok, 5 pics limit reached, to be continued...

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci

It seems over the last few years the price for E31 parts when to the stratosphere and the heater valve is one of them. I believe the OE price is around USD 450+. So what to do when yours fail?

The most common failure mode is the failure of the rubber seals or debris causing the valves to leak. For this there are already a DIY on how to fix that. Keep in mind while the E31 is not explicitly listed the repair kit (basically the rubbers and brass plungers) are available on fleabay, often listed for E36, E38 E39 etc...

However as these parts age sometimes the fault is terminal, most often is an actual break of the plastic inlet or outlet barbs as the plastic become brittle. Water leakage from bad rubber seals could also see the solenoids corroded beyond repair. The repair kits are not going to fix that.

In these threads:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...lready-Leaking
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-heater-valves
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Control-Valve

members were lamenting the quality of the aftermarket units and I managed to see an ebay supplier spruiking what was claimed as a Bosch unit. My friend needed one so I bought one to compare with a new genuine Bosch unit I had stashed away years ago.

What follows will be a long series of posts as we do a teardown and comparsion between the two and hopefully put an end to this saga. The cliff notes version is below:

In my opinion (I don't want to be sued in case I'm wrong)
    1. The ebay unit is most likely NOT a Bosch unit as claimed. May be a Bosch contractor at best, we'll talk a bit more about this at the end.
    2. The actual quality of the components are pretty good with a couple exceptions
    3. The assembly staff needs to be shot (QA issues, as usual)
    4. Good enough to be used if inspected first
    5. Most interestingly, you could use it as parts to resurrect your genuine unit.

I know I could break out the RLC bridge and load cells and go deeper into the solenoids, but seeing my friend will probably object to a mildly destructive test, a visual comparison is where this will end.

1. Box - The white box and bubble wrap doesn't inspire much confidence that it’s a Bosch unit, but stranger things have happened in the parts business.

Attachment 652740Attachment 652741

2. Doesn't look too bad, here's a few side by sides, Genuine Bosch on the left.

Attachment 652742Attachment 652743Attachment 652744

The plastic used for the dry upper (as installed) half is definitely glass fibre ABS so that’s good, just like the Bosch unit. Though whether its 20, 30 or 35% GF I'm not able to tell.

The plastic for the wet or lower half is harder to tell, looks like the mould was bead blasted so there are no surface blemishes to tell GF reinforcement easily. In any case I found a hidden spot and cut a little out later in the teardown and found that it is also GF reinforced ABS, so that’s good too.

Interesting to note that the disposable port covers looks identical, even the mould number are at the same place. But as these are usually externally supplied parts and we throw them away as soon as they're out of the box it doesn’t tell us much in itself.

Ok, 5 pics limit reached, to be continued...

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    3. The quality of the plastic moulding for the dry half is excellent. Except for less (or no) radii on the reinforcement fillets it would well pass for the genuine article. There are also very minor differences in inside corner treatments, but no biggie. Lastly the locating pins (Circled) on this moulding is missing. However it’s not a big deal as it serves little purpose except to make assembly easy and idiot proof.

Attachment 652745

4. For the wet half, if it wasn't for the lack of date stamp it could well pass for OEM too. The lack of date stamp is a bit of a giveaway as no way any tier one manufacturer will not have one. The part number is also a little suspect as the OEM unit clearly shows the use of changeable slugs in the mould for different part or batch numbers (e.g. for OEM work); whereas on the aftermarket unit the details are just way too nice to be something you see in a series production line for these parts.

Attachment 652746Attachment 652749Attachment 652747Attachment 652748

to be continued....

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    3. The quality of the plastic moulding for the dry half is excellent. Except for less (or no) radii on the reinforcement fillets it would well pass for the genuine article. There are also very minor differences in inside corner treatments, but no biggie. Lastly the locating pins (Circled) on this moulding is missing. However it’s not a big deal as it serves little purpose except to make assembly easy and idiot proof.

Attachment 652745

4. For the wet half, if it wasn't for the lack of date stamp it could well pass for OEM too. The lack of date stamp is a bit of a giveaway as no way any tier one manufacturer will not have one. The part number is also a little suspect as the OEM unit clearly shows the use of changeable slugs in the mould for different part or batch numbers (e.g. for OEM work); whereas on the aftermarket unit the details are just way too nice to be something you see in a series production line for these parts.

Attachment 652746Attachment 652749Attachment 652747Attachment 652748

to be continued....

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    Interestingly the quality of the lower moulding is actually better than the Bosch unit. The parting lines are VERY nicely done. Again genuine on left.

Attachment 652751Attachment 652750

Having said that, others have had leaking elbows right out of the box. Without ripping this one apart I can’t comment but the unit in front of me does seem sturdy enough. From pictures out there the elbows are attached to the main body via press fitting the fine barbs moulded on the collar interface with O-ring sealing, which explains the flat edge on the elbow for press fitting. The design on the OEM Bosch unit seems identical. No way to tell if mine is ok until it’s pressurized although I can see if the plastic is not stiff enough or tolerance too loose it may leak or pop off. In any case others have fixed this issue by using good 2-part adhesives. I would also put it in a vise and squeeze it gently until you know the o-ring has a seal while the glue sets.

Below pictures lifted from JDP530 @ https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...lready-Leaking

Attachment 652752Attachment 652753Attachment 652754

to be continued....

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    Interestingly the quality of the lower moulding is actually better than the Bosch unit. The parting lines are VERY nicely done. Again genuine on left.

Attachment 652751Attachment 652750

Having said that, others have had leaking elbows right out of the box. Without ripping this one apart I can’t comment but the unit in front of me does seem sturdy enough. From pictures out there the elbows are attached to the main body via press fitting the fine barbs moulded on the collar interface with O-ring sealing, which explains the flat edge on the elbow for press fitting. The design on the OEM Bosch unit seems identical. No way to tell if mine is ok until it’s pressurized although I can see if the plastic is not stiff enough or tolerance too loose it may leak or pop off. In any case others have fixed this issue by using good 2-part adhesives. I would also put it in a vise and squeeze it gently until you know the o-ring has a seal while the glue sets.

Below pictures lifted from JDP530 @ https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...lready-Leaking

Attachment 652752Attachment 652753Attachment 652754

to be continued....

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    5. The solenoids - Both units have plated housing but the aftermarket one does not have bosch stamping on them.

Attachment 652759

6. Screws - Both units uses the torx screws which are more expensive, both are also geomet plated which is absolutely awesome. interestingly the Bosch unit uses the same length screws for all 6 and the aftermarket unit uses 2 different lengths matching the casing. I really would have thought it'd be the other way around.

7. Connector - There's no pin number in the connector on the aftermarket unit, another giveaway here. However, quality looks adequate. I can't test the actual plating on the connector pins so I'd put lots of dielectric grease on these pins before putting this into service just to eek out a bit more life. Both units features a drain hole for the plug which is a nice touch.

On the back of the connector is where one of the biggest difference is. The Bosch unit used a removable cover plate whereas the aftermarket unit opted for some sort of urethane potting. pros and cons on each one here. the cover plate will leave the connections and capacitors somewhat exposed but also allows engine heat or ambient air to dry them out during service. Potting is great if you know what you're doing, as this area is up side down during service inadequate or badly done potting will actually trap water. Without digging it all out I can't give a better idea of its quality here. So far it seems to be of pretty high quality (for what I think is a repro).

Attachment 652760Attachment 652761Attachment 652762

Next time we'll get inside and check out the business end of these valves.

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    5. The solenoids - Both units have plated housing but the aftermarket one does not have bosch stamping on them.

Attachment 652759

6. Screws - Both units uses the torx screws which are more expensive, both are also geomet plated which is absolutely awesome. interestingly the Bosch unit uses the same length screws for all 6 and the aftermarket unit uses 2 different lengths matching the casing. I really would have thought it'd be the other way around.

7. Connector - There's no pin number in the connector on the aftermarket unit, another giveaway here. However, quality looks adequate. I can't test the actual plating on the connector pins so I'd put lots of dielectric grease on these pins before putting this into service just to eek out a bit more life. Both units features a drain hole for the plug which is a nice touch.

On the back of the connector is where one of the biggest difference is. The Bosch unit used a removable cover plate whereas the aftermarket unit opted for some sort of urethane potting. pros and cons on each one here. the cover plate will leave the connections and capacitors somewhat exposed but also allows engine heat or ambient air to dry them out during service. Potting is great if you know what you're doing, as this area is up side down during service inadequate or badly done potting will actually trap water. Without digging it all out I can't give a better idea of its quality here. So far it seems to be of pretty high quality (for what I think is a repro).

Attachment 652760Attachment 652761Attachment 652762

Next time we'll get inside and check out the business end of these valves.

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    Now that we've finished the external visual inspection, we'll start getting inside these valves. Sadly before I even reach for the screwdriver we already have our first quality issue.

8. General Assembly
    Some eagle eyed readers might have already picked that the valve was not even screwed together properly, see below.

Attachment 652810

I tried turning the screw a bit more to see if it’s a simple laziness on the assembly line, but as I tried I can feel suspicious resistance inside. So hey, in for a penny in for a pound, we're going in.

It turned out the large sealing disc was not seated properly and the pinched seal is stopping the unit from being able to be assembled correctly. An easy fix. The unit will now close up properly.

Attachment 652811

To be continued...

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    Now that we've finished the external visual inspection, we'll start getting inside these valves. Sadly before I even reach for the screwdriver we already have our first quality issue.

8. General Assembly
    Some eagle eyed readers might have already picked that the valve was not even screwed together properly, see below.

Attachment 652810

I tried turning the screw a bit more to see if it’s a simple laziness on the assembly line, but as I tried I can feel suspicious resistance inside. So hey, in for a penny in for a pound, we're going in.

It turned out the large sealing disc was not seated properly and the pinched seal is stopping the unit from being able to be assembled correctly. An easy fix. The unit will now close up properly.

Attachment 652811

To be continued...

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    9. Valve
    The valve consists of a sleeve and a rubber valve seat. The sleeve is some sort of engineering plastic like delrin or similar. Finishing on the aftermarket part is a little rough (some burrs) but totally useable. For the rubber valve seat however, you can see machining marks from the mould on the rubber seat. it’s pretty ugly for a new part but as total sealing is probably not a requirement it'll work just fine.
    Attachment 652818Attachment 652815Attachment 652816Attachment 652817

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    9. Valve
    The valve consists of a sleeve and a rubber valve seat. The sleeve is some sort of engineering plastic like delrin or similar. Finishing on the aftermarket part is a little rough (some burrs) but totally useable. For the rubber valve seat however, you can see machining marks from the mould on the rubber seat. it’s pretty ugly for a new part but as total sealing is probably not a requirement it'll work just fine.
    Attachment 652818Attachment 652815Attachment 652816Attachment 652817

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    Compared to the OEM valve, the OEM sleeve fits snuggly in the bore of the wet housing whereas the aftermarket one has about 0.8mm or around 35 thou clearance to the bore. Both units has positive locating tabs to stop the sleeve from rotating in the bore but the OEM version has more pads around its circumference to get that snug fit. Honestly both will work as the large rubber sealing disc will press the sleeve into the bore, but the OEM is a lot nicer as you'd expect and is shown below.

Attachment 652820Attachment 652819

Also note the slight misfit on the wet case's dowels to the stator plate's (circled in red). Of course this is the aftermarket one I'm talking about.

Attachment 652821Attachment 652822

to be continued...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast