Thread: Harmon Kardon Rear Speakers not working

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330i

Harmon Kardon Rear Speakers not working

Hey all!

I have 2x12" Rockford Fosgate subs installed in the trunk of my ZHP.

Unfortunately, I messed up by overloading my trunk with stuff over the weekend. At some point, a heavy object rolled around and pulled some of the wires out so the power cable grounded out and messed allot of stuff up.

In addition to shorting out my 2k rms amp for my subs, it also killed my rear deck speakers and factory subs (head-unit and other speakers seem unaffected.)

Drivers speakers+tweeters and rear door speakers and the factory subs in the trunk are all working after swapping the original main HK amp in the trunk on the drivers side (the one behind the carpet not the one on the sub.)

I have checked all fuses in the glove box and they seem fine.

Swapping the HK amp made the factory subs start working, but my concern is that the 2 rear deck speakers are still not working and the line out converter that goes to my aftermarket amp isnt working either (I installed a brand new aftermarket amp with all new 4 gauge wiring for my RF subs.) I've since then disconnected it, cause I don't want to harm it while messing with everything else.

My question to the forum is this: which fuses relate to the HK audio system specifically so I can go over them again and replace them (even though all the fuses tested fine with a test light, maybe there is still a flaw) and is there another amp somewhere which controls the 2 rear deck speakers?

Although it is possible that maybe the speakers themselves are bad, I have reservations about it as the line out converter isnt working either. Though, I guess it is possible that the line out converter got damaged also when the wires touched. If there isn't anything else to check, I'll swap the 2 rear deck speakers and line out converter, but I just want to see what you guys suggest first as this small mistake is starting to cost me an arm and a leg.

Also, as I'm aware there's always a possibility of it being the headunit, I'm going to go to Upullit this weekend and pull a headunit from another vehicle just to test. If it fixes it, I guess I'll upgrade to a nav system as I've been wanting to do it for a while but couldn't justify it.

I appreciate any help!!!
    Last edited by apathy11303; 09-28-2018 at 12:31 AM.

My Cars
    E21, E46
    I would have to look it up however the speakers are either powered by the stock amp or stock alpine business cd radio.

Did you check you fader settings?

There is also a speaker button where your DSC button is located. What happens if you turn that on or off?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertDenali View Post
    I would have to look it up however the speakers are either powered by the stock amp or stock alpine business cd radio.

Did you check you fader settings?

There is also a speaker button where your DSC button is located. What happens if you turn that on or off?
    Thank you for your reply. I did check the fade settings and they are set to the middle. In fact, when I fade all the way to the rear, I only get sound from the rear door speakers and the stock subs in the trunk. Unfortunately, the two rear deck speakers have no life at all right now. I just got a replacement stock sub (the driver side one that comes with an amp) because I wanted to check to see if possibly that amp had something to do with it.

It would be awesome if someone had a wiring diagram or something that I could refer to because I'm literally just blindly replacing parts at this point. lol.

Also, the speaker button where the DSC button is located appears to work as the sound changes slightly when I turn it on and off.

My Cars
    E21, E46

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Sounds like your LOC was tapped into rear speakers. I would try disconnecting it from those leads first.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertDenali View Post
    Thanks for the link. I reviewed that and others like it which led me to replace the two amps. After replacing the two amps, all of the speakers are working in the car except the two rear deck speakers. I wanted to go grab another set from a junkyard, but have been too busy. I may just need to source a set off of eBay b/c between work and school, my hours have been very hectic lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Sounds like your LOC was tapped into rear speakers. I would try disconnecting it from those leads first.
    You are right as I haven't tried disconnecting the LOC. It is possible that maybe its fried and is causing problems.

I just tried disconnecting it and still no sound from rear deck speakers. Also replaced it with a brand new one and that the aftermarket amp still isnt recieving a signal.

I want to personally thank everyone for the input in helping me brainstorm this issue.

I love my ZHP but its not the same experience without music. Even though I didnt really listen to my music that loud b/c I love hearing the roar of the stock M-Sport exhaust with race headers +HF cats rumbling under the music, I love how complete everything sounded together... Not having it really changes the driving experience.

My Cars
    E21, E46
    Do you have a volt meter?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330i
    That did the trick. I used a voltmeter to find breaks in current and then replaced the wires. After that I was getting good voltage everywhere. I still had to replace the rear deck speakers because they were fried.

In the end, I replaced the rear deck speakers, the rear sub+amp combo, and the main hk amp, and a couple of fried wires. Now everything is up and running.

My Cars
    06 330ci zhp convertible
    now buy a cargo net to hold shit in the trunk securely lol

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket1200 View Post
    now buy a cargo net to hold shit in the trunk securely lol
    Definitely. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk