Thread: 330ci Engine Swap

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is

330ci Engine Swap

What’s up bimmerforums!

This weekend I’ll be swapping out an m54b30 engine with another used engine because two cylinders have lost compression.

The way I plan on tackling this job is by removing the front end and pulling the engine out through the front. So I’ll be removing the transmission (5 speed ) first. Then will remove the intake manifold and electrical connectors. I will leave the exhaust manifold attached to the engine because I think the bolts will be hard to reach with the engine in place. Once that’s all done I’ll install in reverse order.

I understand there may be some clearance issue with the oil pan hitting the subframe. Will I be good to go if I lower the subframe a bit? This is the only thing I’m really considered about.

Do you guys think this can be done in one day (12 hours)? I have access to a shop so I can lift the car instead of working on the floor.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes. If you think it will be easier to do it a different way please let me know and I will consider.

Cheers!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The engine is supported via rubber engine mounts by the subframe. Support the engine, disconnect the motor mounts and then drop the subframe. Are you replacing the old engine mounts with a new mounts? It’s a good idea.

Have you investigated why why there’s no compression in those 2 cylinders? Are they adjacent to each other? Did the engine overheat? Did you borscope the cylinders? Did the loss of compression happen all at once or over a period of time?

My Cars
    2003 328i
    I just pulled the motor out of my sedan a few days ago. Coupe should be similar.

I pulled it from the top, left the radiator support and condensor in place. Removing the front end makes sense if you plan on pulling the engine and trans as a unit but just the engine by itself should come right out. All I had to do was disconnect the steering shaft from the rack and flop it out of the way. Wasn't necessary to pull the engine but it was presenting a problem during installation due to clearance with the oil pan. It also helps tremendously to remove the intake side motor mount bracket from the block once the engine is off of the mounts.

It's not bad really. You can remove the ac compressor from the block and let it hang to the side. Remove the PS reservoir and disconnect the inlet hose at the pump, then unbolt the pump and let it hang by the pressure hose. I flopped the reservior to the side and left the return line connected. I did pull the intake and disconnect the wiring harness. Mark the o2 sensor connectors to prevent confusion during assembly.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    Hey guys, I ended up pulling the front end and removing the engine with transmission attached. I did have to drop the subframe.. the oil pan wouldn’t allow me to pull it out.

The engine nwver over heated, I believe the piston rings locked up on these two cylinders from lack of maintenxe. The ccv was completely falling apart.

overall it was pretty fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    Very cool. What are you planning on doing all the known fixes/improvements to the other motor before it goes back in?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    Actually I already completed the swap. I replaced the oil pan gasket, the two plastic coolant pipes that bolt into the block, all vacuum lines, and the entire ccv system. Runs great and no more check engine light!