Thread: M52 into a 318ti questions

My Cars
    97 318ti

M52 into a 318ti questions

Hey everyone!

I have a few questions about swapping a m52 into my 318ti. I have been doing a lot of research in the last few days and can’t find an answer. I have read through the auto to manual swap thread and even “ctrl f” looking for answers. I have also looked through the ultimate 4 to 6 cylinder swap thread and countless other threads on all kinds of forums.

Some info on the cars is the Ti is a 1997 5 speed m tech (build dat 11/96) that I got for $100. The body is straight but the clear coat is non existent on the hood and roof

The donor car is an automatic 1998 323 convertible. Build date 12/98 I got it for $200 in good running condition. The car had no check engine lights and the engine aounded and ran healthy

The seap is going very good so far. I have both the engines out and the transmission off. I’m waiting on my clutch kit to come in before I put it back together And Stab the new motor into the Ti. While the m52 is out I did the valve cover, new vanos seals, new water pump, new thermostat and aluminum housing, I deleted the mechanical fan as well as the cruise control and all the AC stuff. I also did the oil pan gasket. I am installing a new aluminum radiator switch silicone hoses and a new coolant overflow as well. I also am doing an asc delete and “custom” cold air intake. I swapped over the whole fpr unit from under the drivers seat and swapped the e36 front sway bar. I also deleted the SAP

I got an ecu with the ews deleted and the SAP deleted also. I will be keeping the corresponding ews stuff from the 323 into the Ti is going just in case.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend I swap over?

Question 1
    While doing the swap I noticed that my Ti does not have the x69 plug while the m52 I’m swapping from the automatic 323 does. This kind of concerns me. Is this going to be a problem? I’m not the best at reading wiring diagrams but I did my best and still couldn’t find an answer?

Question 2
    I can’t find much info on what I should do for the reverse lights. Since the reverse light transmission switch just completes the circuit should a run a “hot wire” to one side and the other side to the reverse light pin on the x20?

Question 3
    The Ti has the vapor canister on the Ti was in the engine bar. But the 323 it is not. Should I keep this or delete it and hook it all up like the 323 system and is there anything else I need to swap over.

That’s it for now. Thank you for reading my long winded post I would really appreciate any help I can get.

My Cars
    98' Hellrot M3
    Im doing a s52 swap into a 318Ti at the moment, found alot of info in here, http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php?
    Im using a manual harness and ecu so not sure on the x69 plug or wiring up the reverse lights Traction, Secondary Pump was also deleted, used z3m throttle boot and ebay headers.

My Cars
    97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm5698 View Post
    Im doing a s52 swap into a 318Ti at the moment, found alot of info in here, http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php?
    Im using a manual harness and ecu so not sure on the x69 plug or wiring up the reverse lights Traction, Secondary Pump was also deleted, used z3m throttle boot and ebay headers.
    Thanks for the reply

I have been on that site a lot trying to fibd the info I am looking for. I even have a thread on that forum trying to find out.

My Cars
    97 318ti
    Bump. Can anyone please help me

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Oh, wow, those prices in the US.. In Europe, no way you can find E36s for those prices, especially 6 cylinder ones. Great finds..

W.r.t Q2 here is an interesting chart, with some info on the reverse light switch through X20 to back up lights:
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...3_18-16-41.png
    I think it's a ground signal that the switch sends to the back up lights, through X20.
    So the backup light has semi-permanent 12V and the ground connection (through the switch) closes the loop.. But double check please. No experience here.

I think you need to search for FAQs on the internet.. Try to be less specific when searching. So search for general auto-manual conversions, not specifically 4 or 6 cylinders.. Then you'll probably find your answer..

I think you didn't mention the differential, axles, prop shaft, brakes that you'd want to transfer over.
    Last edited by ed323i; 09-27-2018 at 06:18 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by ed323i View Post
    Oh, wow, those prices in the US.. In Europe, no way you can find E36s for those prices, especially 6 cylinder ones. Great finds..

W.r.t Q2 here is an interesting chart, with some info on the reverse light switch through X20 to back up lights:
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...3_18-16-41.png
    I think it's a ground signal that the switch sends to the back up lights, through X20.
    So the backup light has semi-permanent 12V and the ground connection (through the switch) closes the loop.. But double check please. No experience here.

I think you need to search for FAQs on the internet.. Try to be less specific when searching. So search for general auto-manual conversions, not specifically 4 or 6 cylinders.. Then you'll probably find your answer..

I think you didn't mention the differential, axles, prop shaft, brakes that you'd want to transfer over.
    Thank you for the reply

I found that link to the x20 pinout while searching an I think it cleared things up for me. It says delete the x69 plug completely. So I will just throw the swap in when I get my clutch and not worry about that for the time being.

Ill just cross Ross my fingers and hope it fires up!

That makes it pretty simple to do the reverse light if I just run a power wire form the fuse to one side of the switch and run the other side to the x20

As far as diff and drive shaft is concerned I’m still going to pull them but they will not fit on my Ti as it has the same kind of rear end configuration as the e30 platform compared to the e36. Or at least that’s my understanding.

I lucked out out on the 323 because it came with style 393 wheels on it and they are pretty good looking wheels.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by projectvoltron View Post
    As far as diff and drive shaft is concerned I’m still going to pull them but they will not fit on my Ti as it has the same kind of rear end configuration as the e30 platform compared to the e36. Or at least that’s my understanding.

I lucked out out on the 323 because it came with style 393 wheels on it and they are pretty good looking wheels.
    Ah, I wrongly assumed the donor car was also a Ti.. Indeed, differential on the Ti/compact is E30-style, so the regular E36 one won't fit.
    The 318Ti diff (probably 3.45, while 323i stock has 2.93 which is a bit too long by the way) will work for a while but will eventually probably develop problems because of the higher torque of the M52B25.
    It will also be quite high rev-wise, but it will make it very fast at accelerating. Bit less comfy on the highway though.
    You can try and find an E30 325i diff. That will fit just fine (just swap the diff axle mounts from your old diff). Or an E36 323ti one. If you can, also get the axles in that case.

Great find, the 323i. A good engine and all the extra parts AND the wheels.. Amazing.
    Last edited by ed323i; 09-28-2018 at 06:12 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods: