Thread: Pre-purchase inspection - new to e36

My Cars
    e36, e39, Accord CR2

Pre-purchase inspection - new to e36

Hey all

Hoping to land my first e36, would like a seasoned eye to let me know if I'm missing anything. So far seems structurally ok with a little extra surface rust. Car itself is from '98 with 45k miles.

Pictures linked (imgur).

Thanks

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Looks ok underneath. You want to check the strut towers and shock towers, gotta pull the trim away in the trunk and make sure they are not damaged.

Service history if it has it is important. When it's yours, change all the fluids and make sure the cooling system is solid. Don't ever let your e36 overheat, $$. Make sure your trans mounts are good.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Looks ok underneath. You want to check the strut towers and shock towers, gotta pull the trim away in the trunk and make sure they are not damaged.

Service history if it has it is important. When it's yours, change all the fluids and make sure the cooling system is solid. Don't ever let your e36 overheat, $$. Make sure your trans mounts are good.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum

Looks like all rubber bushings are shot/original. I'd also need to hear a great story as to why it only has 45K miles. Find where that oil leak/seep is coming from. Looks to also be leaking PS fluid which is common.

Check glove box isn't pealing and door cards are properly attached. Headliner replaced? (it's shot but may not have told anyone yet). Touch it and see if foam returns, or leaves permanent finger marks. Is back window panel area purple? Moon roof function?

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Reference this page for some more things to check: https://bmwfixer.wordpress.com/2012/...nspection-faq/

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Looks like a lot of rust for 45k car. Also what's up with the new passenger side camber arm?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    Looks like a lot of rust for 45k car. Also what's up with the new passenger side camber arm?
    You call that rust!!! I've seen cars bathed in rust.

The white chalky stuff says coastal car to me with salt air assisting in the patina. I don't see anything wrong with the LCAs. Guy must have lived in speed bump land or liked to fly the car.

Certainly looks allot better from what I generally find in Md. However it's also the time on the car that degrades rubber, not just the mileage. Figure new front suspension and rear shocks at a minimum.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    If my car was that mildly rusted I would be very pleased. Plan on replacing suspension parts because of age even with low mileage. I would be questioning why it has such low mileage and if it is accurate.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    I call that rusty for a CA car with 45k miles... but obviously a car from the NE or Midwest would have way more rust. Everyone knows the latter statement to be true.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    The road grime everywhere seems pretty excessive for the claimed mileage. It seems more like a 145k mile car then 45k. Don't get me wrong it's in excellent condition but it just looks aged more than the claims.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    1999 328is,2001 325i
    No rust on the rear carrier, I can read the sachs emblem on the front shock, and the nuts on the cat back can still be removed with a standard wrench.
    I can't remember when I got the nuts off with a wrench. Id take a chance on it.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    The power steering cooler is new.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Did u buy it or what ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    325is
    You need to look at the other 80% of the car. Body, Interior and the all important CA SMOG ability not just engine health. I have seen prefect looking cars in the CA Recycle yard because they cannot pass SMOG. The car is 20 years old, who will do the repairs? How much are you setting aside $$ after the purchase for repairs? This site can help with the common problems, see the DIY section. But there are pages of unanswered ones. Why did you only show pictures of the under carriage, yes BMW leak . Almost all CA cars look that rust free, sorry rest of the county?