Thread: I got lucky

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3

I got lucky

I picked up a 1997 m3 today for beans. Car was advertised with a blown motor original owner said he brought it to a shop and was told the timing chains snapped. I’ve been looking for a project for a while now and I was thinking well if the motor is totally smoked I’ll swap in a ls eventually or find another s52 or whatever came up on Craigslist first. Well I get the car back to my house I pull the valve cover off the chains are fine... I’m expecting to see absolute carnage. I Look underneath the car the serpentine belt is snapped but that’s it no fan damage nothing just a broken belt. Went down to the autozone grabbed a belt for 40 bucks threw it on car rips! I’m pumped I bought the car for 1900 bucks. 5speed coupe, black Vader’s, Ltw wheels car is arctic silver. It has 185k miles on it and has no problem doing donuts. It definitely needs interior work and there is rust on the trunk and a bubble starting on the driver side rear fender well. Love these cars ever since my uncle let me drive his 95 m3 I’m pumped to be owning one.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    awesome find!

Might want to do a compression check anyways since it lost the water pump for who knows how long.

Welcome to the forum!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Did a little tune up on the car new plugs, oil change, air filter, fuel filter. I’m going to change the diff fluid this weekend. I’ve been trying to put some miles on the car drove it for about 2 hours today running around. Car has some quirks I noticed that it I leave the car parked for 20 min. or more there will be a puff of grey blue smoke on start up. And once the car gets warmed up the oil light will lightly flicker occasionally it happens more in stop and go traffic when the rpm dips when you let the clutch in. What could be causing this?

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    That is awesome! Nice find! Welcome to the e36 world.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabronidubs View Post
    Did a little tune up on the car new plugs, oil change, air filter, fuel filter. I’m going to change the diff fluid this weekend. I’ve been trying to put some miles on the car drove it for about 2 hours today running around. Car has some quirks I noticed that it I leave the car parked for 20 min. or more there will be a puff of grey blue smoke on start up. And once the car gets warmed up the oil light will lightly flicker occasionally it happens more in stop and go traffic when the rpm dips when you let the clutch in. What could be causing this?

Well a compression test would be wise, maybe just some sticking rings. You should also hook up a oil pressure gauge, could be worn pump or cracked oil pick up tube.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure to use full synthetic and for PA 5w40 or 10w40.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Well a compression test would be wise, maybe just some sticking rings. You should also hook up a oil pressure gauge, could be worn pump or cracked oil pick up tube.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure to use full synthetic and for PA 5w40 or 10w40.
    It may be more likely to be worn valve guides. Smoke on in-gear decel (high vacuum) can pull oil past the rings. Sitting is more likely to be valve guides.

If you want to be proactive about it you could, or you could just wait for the head gasket. It should be relatively soon at that mileage. Especially if you haven't done it before, it's super helpful to do a lot of homework before you tackle it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will get a compression tester see what happens. I’ll put some more miles on it. Really want to throw a LS in down the road but that’s a pipe dream.