Thread: Both turn signals on same side not working - solved

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Both turn signals on same side not working - solved

On my '95 M3 the front driver-side side/signal lamp met an undignified end. I got a used replacement, and installed it with a new bulb. The sidelights work, but not the turn signals -- front or back. If the problem was just at the front, shouldn't the rear still work? The right-side signals work, and when I hit the four-ways the rights also flash. Just nothing on the left. Is it possible that by some bizarre coincidence the signal switch itself has failed at the same time as the front lamp assembly got destroyed?
    I'm baffled, and would appreciate enlightenment!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Post in the general E36 respect. E36 M3 forum, the section DIY is for final DIY instructions/fixes, thread moved
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonabitch View Post
    On my '95 M3 the front driver-side side/signal lamp met an undignified end. I got a used replacement, and installed it with a new bulb. The sidelights work, but not the turn signals -- front or back. If the problem was just at the front, shouldn't the rear still work? The right-side signals work, and when I hit the four-ways the rights also flash. Just nothing on the left. Is it possible that by some bizarre coincidence the signal switch itself has failed at the same time as the front lamp assembly got destroyed?
    I'm baffled, and would appreciate enlightenment!
    Are your interior lights also not working?

Check the fuse - I want to say it's 33 or 34. I had a weird issue with similar (but worse) symptoms after a ton of rain. I don't remember if the markers worked, though. But it's always a good idea to start with the easy solutions!

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Are your interior lights also not working?

Check the fuse - I want to say it's 33 or 34. I had a weird issue with similar (but worse) symptoms after a ton of rain. I don't remember if the markers worked, though. But it's always a good idea to start with the easy solutions!
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have checked all the fuses. Any other thoughts?

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonabitch View Post
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have checked all the fuses. Any other thoughts?
    I'm out of ideas. I never was able to track mine down. A couple weeks of searching for the problem and it just went away. I assume whatever got water in it eventually just dried out.

Hope you can track it down - I'd love to know what it was that was causing my problems.

Maybe check your connections up front? It would have been exposed to water (in my case) and that's what got damaged (in your case). Maybe you crushed something and are having a short?

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    325is
    The power/fuse for a left/ right turn signal is applied to the front and rear and the side marker or 3 bulbs. The turn stalk directs power to a relay either for left or right signal. Hazard flasher has it own power fuse.

Since Hazard works then all the bulbs and wires are OK.
    You checked the 2 fuses so those are OK. F34 and F22
    Only thing remaining is the T Stalk or the Module relay.

If you have check control or crash control there are more parts.

I had problems with a dirty turn stalk and right side did not work 100% But since this happened after a front bulb failure I suspect a contact is burnt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gc325is; 09-29-2018 at 10:27 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post
    The power/fuse for a left/ right turn signal is applied to the front and rear and the side marker or 3 bulbs. The turn stalk directs power to a relay either for left or right signal. Hazard flasher has it own power fuse.

Since Hazard works then all the bulbs and wires are OK.
    You checked the 2 fuses so those are OK. F34 and F22
    Only thing remaining is the T Stalk or the Module relay.

If you have check control or crash control there are more parts.

I had problems with a dirty turn stalk and right side did not work 100% But since this happened after a front bulb failure I suspect a contact is burnt.
    Thanks gc325is. Hazards only work on the right side. As I understand it, there is a relay for the hazards and the wires for the turn signals come out of there. When I try the left signal everything on that side is dead -- no tick-tock noise, no flashing light in the gauge cluster, no front or rear or side-repeater signals on the left side. When I switch on the four-ways I get the sound and everything flashes like it should on the right side but nothing on the left. Does that help narrow it down? Someone also asked about the trunk light: my car only has one, on the right side, and it works.

My Cars
    325is
    Ok, lets try again

The sidelights work, but not the turn signals -- front or back You mean running light are ok but turn signal flashing is not they are on a different power path... this includes the light on the fender.

If the problem was just at the front, shouldn't the rear still work? NO the power is from the same source as is many parts of the circuit.

The right-side signals work, and when I hit the four-ways the rights also flash. Just nothing on the left. So the left did not work with the hazard button i read it wrong

Is it possible that by some bizarre coincidence the signal switch itself has failed at the same time as the front lamp assembly got destroyed? Probably the damage affected both front side and rear flashing. That would still be the relay I think the contact was damaged during the " incident" by an over current surge. But wires could be burnt or blown, you can check them after the relay . I think it is K16 on the fuse box. You can try to cleaning it or just replace it,... it is not a regular relay with the dual outputs so no swapping

I think you hear the right relay clicking on the hazard it would be 2x as loud if the left did it too.
    Last edited by gc325is; 10-01-2018 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post
    Ok, lets try again

The sidelights work, but not the turn signals -- front or back You mean running light are ok but turn signal flashing is not they are on a different power path... this includes the light on the fender.

If the problem was just at the front, shouldn't the rear still work? NO the power is from the same source as is many parts of the circuit.

The right-side signals work, and when I hit the four-ways the rights also flash. Just nothing on the left. So the left did not work with the hazard button i read it wrong

Is it possible that by some bizarre coincidence the signal switch itself has failed at the same time as the front lamp assembly got destroyed? Probably the damage affected both front side and rear flashing. That would still be the relay I think the contact was damaged during the " incident" by an over current surge. But wires could be burnt or blown, you can check them after the relay . I think it is K16 on the fuse box. You can try to cleaning it or just replace it,... it is not a regular relay with the dual outputs so no swapping

I think you hear the right relay clicking on the hazard it would be 2x as loud if the left did it too.
    Many thanks! I will check out the relay.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    It’s the relay. The tall black one if memory serves me right.

From the outside it looks like one big relay but if you pull the housing/cover off, you’ll find 2 separate relays in there for the 2 sides. Sometimes they get stuck... take it apart and give it a nice whack and see what happens.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    It’s the relay. The tall black one if memory serves me right.

From the outside it looks like one big relay but if you pull the housing/cover off, you’ll find 2 separate relays in there for the 2 sides. Sometimes they get stuck... take it apart and give it a nice whack and see what happens.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Many thanks to gc325is and slocar. You guys nailed it. I opened up the hazards relay and sure enough one of the contacts was stuck. Free'd it off and all now works, though I don't know for how long -- the contact looked like it had burned. Fingers crossed.

My Cars
    325is
    You can clean them up with cloth wipe rubber eraser or a nail file to bring back the metal finish. Try to keep it as smooth as possible, the dirt and bumps make a hot spots and the burns you saw.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    there was once a bad production series of hazard flasher relays https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ating-flashers

My Cars
    Bmw e36
    hey guy i know this has been answered already but cant find it front parking light isn't working the turn signal works just not parking light every thing else is working on all others was wondering if passenger is on a different circuit any one able to help car is a 94 325is

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    here is a 1994 wiring diagram where you see all relays , fuses and the circuits http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm