Thread: So does 0 fuel pressure = bad DME?

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster

So does 0 fuel pressure = bad DME?

Hi guys I just finished my supercharger install and I have a no start issue. I admit it hurt my pride. lol - However, I'm pretty sure the DME I got with the kit may be bad. so far I have:
    1) Zero fuel pressure at the rail;
    2) tested good fuel pump fuse in fuse box;
    3) tested good fuel pump relay;
    4) tested good main DME relay;
    5) tested good power before the fuel pump relay;
    6) I would test the fuel pump, but it was just working a month ago when I took the engine apart;
    7) tested good power/spark at the plugs;
    8) tested good power at fuel injectors;
    9) charged battery to 12.5-13 Volts;
    10) aligned the EWS to DME and:
    11) tested no fault codes, except oxygen sensor.

If there is a physical way to test the DME I'm really not sure? I have INPA/DIS but i'm a total nube. Any tips or tricks welcome; I'm no expert but a pretty decent at wrench'n.
    Last edited by bubbafett; 09-24-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I don't think you have a DME issue here.

- - - Updated - - -

It's quite easy to transfer the tune from the current aligned DME into your original, and you can keep your original in there. Let me know if you want to try that. I can remote in and help.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    ...it depands
    I could be wrong, but the issue might be that the EWS isn't deleted/removed on the engine DME yet (not the actual EWS DME). At least, that is how Abel did it on mine and didn't need to align it.
    Last edited by nevan; 09-24-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    It's quite easy to transfer the tune from the current aligned DME into your original, and you can keep your original in there. Let me know if you want to try that. I can remote in and help.
    Thanks 328 Power! I might just do that, but let me see if I can tinker with it a little first. Very nice of you to offer this.

Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    I could be wrong, but the issue might be that the EWS isn't deleted/removed on the engine DME yet (not the actual EWS DME). At least, that is how Abel did it on mine and didn't need to align it.
    I really dont understand what your saying nevan. Can you explain more?
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    In this case he doesn't need ews delete in the dme, as he synced it correctly with ews. It would give ews/immobilizer codes if not done correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    Thanks 328 Power! I might just do that, but let me see if I can tinker with it a little first. Very nice of you to offer this.
    Send me a PM with your number and I will text you. Today is better than other days this week.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    In this case he doesn't need EWS delete in the DME, as he synced it correctly with EWS. It would give ews/immobilizer codes if not done correctly.
    Not to make myself a liar but it did show a "D1 signal, EWS manipulated" code after the EWS to DME alignment. But I think that is a normal code.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Oh, then it may need some looking at.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Just a quick update, no power at the fuel pump. Starting to think the alignment was not carried out... Even though there is good spark. I just read that EWS II also "disable injection, ignition and starter operation until a correct key is recognized".

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Unlikely, especially if you have no codes.
    EWS system as a whole has 2 separate functions.
    If your key doesn't match, you will have no starter actuation, as well as no spark and no fuel injector pulse.

If your dme ISN doesn't match to what is in EWS, it will crank, but no spark or fuel injector pulse.
    Anything else is a different problem.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 09-25-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You should be checking power at the fuel pump relay and fuses 13 and 18, if you haven't.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    You should be checking power at the fuel pump relay and fuses 13 and 18, if you haven't.
    Thanks 328.
    1) fuel pump relay = good
    2) fuses 13 and 18 =good, So I'm scratching my head.

If I backtrack it - Fuel Pump (good) -->Fuse (good)-->Fuel Pump Relay (good)-->Main Relay (good)-->DME (?)...

Only other thing I an think of is for one of the Dinan switches I had to splice into ground, it is possible (by chance) I spliced in the crankshaft sensor, maybe, who knows.

My Cars
    -
    What happens when you activate the fuel pump relay with INPA?

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by me77 View Post
    What happens when you activate the fuel pump relay with INPA?
    I have not tried.

Looks like the alignment may have done something funky, the first time I was under 12volts, and pulled a fault code immediately. That gave me no power to the pump (I'm pretty sure). Just did the alignment again at 12.5 volts with the trickle charge hooked up. Now there is power to the pump plug and no pressure at the rails. I'm gonna call it a bad pump, with weird timing. The Gods of boost have frowned upon me! lol!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    This dme was used from another car?
    Any chance that car had shorts go through it from a wreck or fire or something?

It could be the dme hardware if there was such event. I can help you transfer the tune to your original if you need.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Just in case I missed something, during the fuel pump relay power "on" test: red = 12V, red/yellow stripe= 12v, brown/green =12v, purple /green =10v (I thought that the brown/green was supposed to be almost zero during relay on).

And the fuel pump plug power on test was: brown/yellow 12v (level sender), and purple/green (fuel pump power) 7volts and climbed steady to 12v in about 30-40 sec; and power off test was purple/green 6-7 volts. --The 6-7 volts has me concerned the Keene bell boost pump might be doing something weird.
    Last edited by bubbafett; 09-25-2018 at 10:03 PM.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Can you reinstall your old ecu and just turn the key forward to prime the pump to see if it's coming on?

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    Can you reinstall your old ecu and just turn the key forward to prime the pump to see if it's coming on?
    Not a bad idea. I would have to align the old DME, then start as normal. It might start but it would run rough.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    No need to start it, just turn the key forward right before starting. In this position the fuel pump primes and you can check fuel pressure through the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail. It will be a quick answer to your question about your fuel pump if it'd DME or an actual fuel pump issue.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Just an update: This issue has been found 100% it turns out to be the Kenne Bell boost a pump. You cannot wire it the way Dinan describes in the supercharger installation manual. But in their defense the manual did not come with the wiring diagram. I tried wiring it two different ways; and thanks to forum member pbonsalb who helped me with the wiring, to know it was incorrect. And a shout out to forum member 328 Power 04 328 who offered to remotely program my DME if need be. I appreciate the community here when the chips are down and you just want to beat your head against the wall.

I have to admit it sounds damn good. -- It's just good to know I have the ability to follow a guide, and the skill-set to do it (some 300 steps, change the clutch, and align the DME all in my garage. But alas, I still make nube mistakes. lol lol
    Last edited by bubbafett; 09-26-2018 at 09:08 PM.