Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: E34 ZF 4HP22EH Transmission Issues

My Cars
    1991 M535i

E34 ZF 4HP22EH Transmission Issues

HI,
    I have an issue with a 1991 BMW E34 M535i ZF 4HP22EH imported to Canada from Japan. I have been working really hard to get her back on the road after she fell into the hands of some kids who played bumper-cars with her. Long story short, the engine required too much investment, so I came across an engine and transmission as one piece which came from a 1988 735i E32. I swapped the original engine/tranny for the donor engine/tranny.

The engine worked out being fine but the tranny wasn't good. It was revving to 5000rpm before shifting into 3rd, very hard downshifts and weird issues like that. We didn't know it at the time but the wire loom that connects the Transmission Control Unit Computer to the side of the transmission was loose and it had a few wires that got cut into when it rubbed onto the output flange. Maybe because of this (or not - not sure 100%) we got a Trans Program code. I tried repairing the wires and erasing the codes with no luck because the code stayed on. It was always the same way, put the key in the ignition, start it and about 4 seconds later -> Trans Program.

So I decided to re-install the original transmission because it had worked fine. It has the E-S-M drive modes.

From a Shogun post:
    Late "E-7" Models Only (5 Solenoid)
    Mode Switch Description
    A three position slide switch with Digital display of the three individual positions in instrument cluster (E-S-M). The switch is a momentary contact and spring loaded to a neutral position.

After having done all that work and changing out the oil and filter, I was still getting the same code. So, I searched and finally found a used wire loom and bought it and installed it ---> Still same code.

I use the scanner Foxwell NT510 with the BMW-specific application.
    Even after erasing it, we are still getting this error code: Transmission Code 20 - Power Supply for MVs & DRs
    (But I think the code may have a typo in it -> Could it be 'PR' (Pressure Regulator) instead of 'DR'?)
    Page 21 of this BMW Code lookup, indicates a short in wiring or defective valve wiring
    http://www.e38.org/e32/bmw%20code%20defaut.pdf

I have no idea what to do at this point. I am hoping that you have seen something similar and can help me save this car which has a lot of history and deserves to see even more.

Thank you for any help that you may be able to offer.
    Last edited by M535 From Japan; 09-24-2018 at 07:13 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    DR could be German language for Druck Regulierventil = pressure regulating valve.
    Does the installed transmission have 8 pins at the connector? My 11/88 Japan spec. has the 8-pin connector, = the oldest version.
    1991 would have a 7-pin connection, and also the transmission control units are different between 8-pin and 7-pin.
    Info on valve body versions 11.5 MB, download it http://parts-at.ru/wp-content/upload...Tech-Guide.pdf

Do you use the original transmission control unit? Which BMW and Bosch number?
    Do you have the trans control unit from the donor car? BMW number and Bosch number?
    Did you swop the valve bodies between the transmissions?
    Did you swop the wire loom between transmission control unit and transmission?
    valve body differences http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/gear...rbox_swap.html

Looks to me that trans control unit and transmission (valve body version) do not match.

Or, if you installed all as originally was installed and it does not work, then maybe the valve body has to be cleaned and the solenoid valves have to be cleaned and tested, detailed info on my website below.
    Last edited by shogun; 09-24-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    Hi Shogun,
    it is an 8-pin connection.
    - The original TCU was in the car since the beginning. It was also used with the donor transmission (and may have created the problem). It is a Bosch 0 260 002 190 / BMW 1 219 086 Code FC
    - I don't have the donor car's TCU.
    - I didn't swap the Valve bodies. I left them in their respective transmissions.
    - I had the original wire loom with the original transmission, did the engine/tranny swap, left the wire loom in for the trial run of the new transmission, frayed the wires of the loom on the output flange, got the Trans Program Code, tried to fix the wires, still had the TP, swapped the wire loom for the donor wire loom, still have the TP.

The setup between, transmission, TCU are back to original. The wire loom and engine are from donors.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Test the solenoid valves - see my link above - on the pins in the connector on the transmission.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Code 20 suggests you are not getting power down to the valve body. 7/91+ cars have a shift lock on the same pin but it is a Japanese car so I don't think they have one anyway. Shogun will soon correct me on that I mention the shift lock as that circuit might drag the voltage down. But if you haven't got it anyway, it is one less thing to think about

If you have had frayed wires touching ground, the output from the TCM may have been damaged. Check you have got voltage coming out of pin 1 of the TCM. If so, you need to check for continuity down to the socket on the trans.

http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 09-24-2018 at 09:52 AM.

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    Hi Whiskeychaser! Is this the shift lock?
    https://screenshot.net/y6e7pug

- - - Updated - - -

I also did a test of solenoid 1 with my Foxwell NT510 in the service section. I get this message:
    https://screenshot.net/6zm68cq

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Yes. That is a shift lock. Just something to bear in mind when trouble shooting

Your meter appears to be confirm the fault code. It says Pin 1 of the TCM should be live and Pin 16 grounded to operate solenoid 1. (The live side of the solenoids are daisy chained). The TCM is saying it cannot 'see' the live side so I would start there

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    I probably checked wrong but I didn't find any power at pin 1. I did notice that the original wire loom and donor wire loom are not exactly wired to the same places. The original blue plug which leads to the E-S-M switch had 6 wires, the donor only has 5 wires. So, I corrected that by splicing into them the same way. The other issue that I noticed had me understand that I'll need to map out all the wires on my old loom and compare them with the donor loom. Because looms, may look alike but be different at the same time. Be back shortly.
    Last edited by M535 From Japan; 09-26-2018 at 02:36 PM.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Something is very wrong. There should at least be a permanent live from the B+ terminal to pin 34 and a switched live from the DME at 35. (You also get live on pins 30,29,28 and 18 (supplied by fuse F7) depending on the position of the shift lever). Page 2460.0.a of the wiring diagram confirms the pinout and whether the pin is input or output

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    No, sorry (I think you wanted me to look for power on the main plug) - I meant I have no power to any of the 8 pins on the round transmission plug/connector. Then I noticed differences in the wire harnesses. So I think that I should take time to map it out so that things line up the way they did with the original harness. What do you think, make sense?
    As an example: on the original harness I had a blue/red wire and a brown wire that end up together at a 2-pin plug but on the donor harness I only have the blue/red wire running alone. On the original harness (the blue/red is at Pos. 26) the brown wire went to position 10 on the main plug, but the donor main-plug has a grey wire in position 10 that leads to the blue 6-pin plug on the mode selector...
    Last edited by M535 From Japan; 09-26-2018 at 02:39 PM.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I swapped a m30/auto from a 91 into my 95 530. I used a 077 tranny computer from an 89-90 car. It's supposed to be the 226 tranny computer but couldn't find one used. I mapped all of the wires to the tranny computer and the tranny. Had to build the harness to the tranny module and to the 7-pin tranny. The tranny shifts just fine. Not sure if the mappings are helpful to you but you can find the document here, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ONy...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by demetk; 09-24-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    demet

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    Demet, thanks for your help. I can only imagine that your map will be helpful. Thanks for the share. Doing my mapping right now.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Demetk has given a great example of mapping out the wiring. Of course he is talking about a 7 pin trans and you have 8 pins. (The extra pin is for the reverse lockout solenoid which you have and he doesn't).

The trans you have wasn't fitted after mid '89 and I think N American cars had a two position mode switch by then anyway. You have an '88 engine so may be able to use the diagrams for 6/88 to 2/89. Fortunately, you still have the original loom and can use that as a pattern. It would be useful to know when your car was actually built.

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    As for the build date, RealOEM has it at 04/91. I'd look on the door plate but it's in Japanese. Maybe they sent leftovers to the Japanese market?

So as a recap, in the car:
    I have an '88 engine - (Canadian) + a '91 transmission - (Japanese) + a '90 wire loom - (American) + a '91 TCU - (Japanese)

Can the Tranny/engine match-up give rise to incompatibility issues? And how about the cluster chip?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Japanese E34 have only one VIN and that is below the windshield stamped into the chassis http://www.bboard.com.ua/imgs/board/76/817976-1.jpg
    Here type in the last 7 digits and you get year, month and day of production https://www.bvzine.com/

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    Here is my TCU (or EGS): BMW Part Number 24601219086
    https://screenshot.net/e23w9av
    and here is what RealOEM has as info for it:
    https://screenshot.net/978r6hn

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Japanese E34 have only one VIN and that is below the windshield stamped into the chassis http://www.bboard.com.ua/imgs/board/76/817976-1.jpg
    Here type in the last 7 digits and you get year, month and day of production https://www.bvzine.com/
    I guess the door plate info is other info. According to that site:
    Prod Date 1991-04-10

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    Let's say I have to replace my TCU and I can't find the exact replacement with the 'FC' code, how can I know which ones will work with my setup?

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Every e34 ETM from 89 to 92 has only 7 pins on the tranny plug being used. Is there a ETM that has 8 pins being used?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M535 From Japan View Post
    Let's say I have to replace my TCU and I can't find the exact replacement with the 'FC' code, how can I know which ones will work with my setup?
    I'm going to bet that you can use any TCU that is designed for the 4hp22. I can't see them differing very much in functionality. Pretty sure wiskychaser knows better.
    demet

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    OK so I see that the 88 535 e28 uses the 8 pins. The US version uses the 007 TCU. I have a couple of those if you want to try one out.
    demet

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    Ok, well thanks for the offer...Let's see if we can get what I've got working and if not, we'll talk on that. Thank you Dem!

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Sure thing. Do you have any pics of your car posted? Interested to see what it looks like outside and inside.
    demet

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    I think the main problem is the loom. For example, N American 90/91 cars get sport mode by dropping the shift lever back from D to 4. Hence your problem with odd wires. But the trans and engine are of a design period so I think they may actually work well together. And you have the correct TCM. Unfortunately, the earlier diagrams don't include a pinout for the TCM so you will have to go through the diagrams, note them down and compare your findings to your old loom. On the plus side, a lot of it will be the same. B+ usually goes to pin 34, DME relay + usually goes to pin 35 and pin 1 is the live output to the valve body etc As mentioned above, the 6/88 to 2/89 diagrams may help
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 09-25-2018 at 08:36 AM.

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    I have a funny suspicion that having plugged up the TCU with the donor transmission, plus the frayed wire loom might mean ---> TCU Kapoot! But miracles of greater order have happened, so I'll remain steadfast...
    Yes Dem, I'll post some pics. I'll just have to dig them up.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    There is something which we haven't mentioned. When the TCM sees a fault and throws trans prog, it also cuts the power to the valve body. I don't think that is the case right now because you are only showing one code - no power to the VB. But once you have sorted the wiring, it may help you decide if the TCM is indeed faulty.

My Cars
    1991 M535i
    One thing though, when I finish mapping, if all of the current makes it to its intended destination; then that'll mean that the repair that I did after the fraying is good work and resolved the frayed-wire issue. Having had that repaired loom, with the actual transmission and TCU all working together but still giving me the Trans Program code...Points more and more to the TCU, right? Anyway, I won't get ahead of myself....

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast